Best grounds attended

Glenanover

3 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

The Olympiastadion isn't actually owned by Hertha BSC, they play in it for now but I think they are looking to build their own purpose-built stadium elsewhere in the west of the city within the next few years. Incredible place though, superb atmosphere when I went last year.

Cheers Troop didn’t know that. It is incredible ... 

DA457F66-D9EC-45B6-9124-667430531DBD.jpeg

C94B35C2-4334-4215-AD43-BAAAA083721E.jpeg

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Hard to see past the (soon to be no more) San Siro. Great choreography beforehand, steep stands with a great view and no running track, the smoke from the fire crackers under the floodlights for an evening match... superb.

I did like Dortmund but perhaps because it was a run of the mill domestic fixture that they won easily, it wasn't as loud or as intimidating as I was expecting. Still very impressive though and the PA getting the four stands to shout back with the Südtribune last was cool.

In terms of comfort, views, food etc. it's hard to beat the Emirates. Having been in a similar section there and at Wembley, I'd put the Arsenal ground above the Cup final venue.

11 minutes ago, Kuro said:

For atmosphere Vicente Calderon was mental.  But really I think if you went to Besiktas or Galatasaray or AEK or something that would be better.

Enjoyed the Vicente Calderon Kuro. The new one is certainly a bit different but good. 

Experienced the noise of the yellow wall. Dortmund equalised in the 2nd half and it was very loud from the home end. 

14 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Enjoyed the Vicente Calderon Kuro. The new one is certainly a bit different but good. 

Experienced the noise of the yellow wall. Dortmund equalised in the 2nd half and it was very loud from the home end. 

Just think, if you had grown up in Switzerland and Dortmund were winning lots of trophies when you were a kid, you might have grown up glory hunting for them.

54 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Just think, if you had grown up in Switzerland and Dortmund were winning lots of trophies when you were a kid, you might have grown up glory hunting for them.

Give me the Vicente Calderon any day though.

11 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I thought the Westfalenstadion was bang average, to be honest, but it might have been different if I went for a Dortmund game.

Were you there for the Scotland game? Domestic fixtures are completely different, the atmosphere for a BVB home game is unbelievable. 

On 30/09/2019 at 11:17, LondonHMFC said:

Obviously depends what you mean by "best", 

Vetlins Arena was fucking superb, a really impressive ground. Probably some of the best grub I have had at football as well. 

Allianz Riveiera was pretty spectacular as well. Only issue with the pair of them was that they are both out of town. 

Seen both The Den, and Wembley mentioned. Can only assume they mean the original structures, as they are both shite now. 

Both the Den and Wembley were the new stadiums

Edited by Glenanover

21 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Originally? Who knows, but it's obviously Malksoft. He must have fancied breaking off his old tear-stained snotter rants into a separate character. Most amusing; P&B's own James McAvoy.

They're all probably authored by one of the pro-Indy left-wing posters taking the piss out of the hysterics in the Mail/BBC comments sections. Big fan of their work anyway. Amazing how many fish they hook.

😂

Were you there for the Scotland game? Domestic fixtures are completely different, the atmosphere for a BVB home game is unbelievable. 
I have seen Dortmund play there 5 times and the atmosphere has been good, but nothing special each time. Experienced better atmospheres at Köln, Schalke and Gladbach in the NRW region.

San Siro, number 1 for me, absolutely electric atmosphere & a great view of the match. Large beers & hot salami ciabatta rolls.

Fenerbahce, Sukru Saracoglu, just bonkers.

'Old' Wembley stadium was kind of special, attended the last England v Scotland match there. Vast terraces, good atmosphere but quite far from the pitch.

Boghead (r.i.p)  :(

When Scotland are doing well (admittedly it’s been a wee while now) Hampden can still rise to the occasion for atmosphere, the last England game and the last Italy games are glorious examples, but it’s still a shitehole!!!
As has been said the San Siro is brilliant as is the Nou Camp!!!
The Hard Rock Stadium in Miami really impressed me last year but I was actually blown away with the atmosphere at Ford Field in Detroit, not the biggest NFL ground but the place was absolutely rocking!!!

from the architectural point of view, Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles; was also an amazing sporting event as I was there to see pitching 'phenom' Fernando Valenzuela throw a no-hitter with 40,000 people watching in rapt silence as he pitched his way towards a perfect game in to the 7th inning of a night game just after midsummer; i know a lot of folk think that US sports are just shite, but something like that, with the tension inexorably building and building over two hours plus is just captivating

for me, football is all about the atmosphere and I struggle to disassociate venues (bricks and mortar) from events (life and death); there are two games that stick out though, both of which make the venues the 'best grounds'; first was Modena back in 1991 towards the end of the season with Hellas chasing the Serie B title; threw away a two goal lead to f**k up, but the place was bursting at the seams (well - the settore ospiti was anyway) and it was absolutely fucking mental for the duration; second one was just this last May - Rovers play-off 2nd leg at Charlton in front of a full house - again, place was in complete ferment from start to finish, all sorts of 'scenes' moments - wonderful, gut wrenching, tortuous stuff - but even with the final failure from my perspective, the place still exploded and everyone was caught up in it

there's also an awful lot to be said for an extended day on the piss watching test cricket from the  Surridge terrace at The Oval...

image.png.486443c6347144c92b93d6ae9d720a69.png

image.thumb.png.2f55b77da54d7be1beb19fa0dc3c136f.png

18 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:
On 01/10/2019 at 09:53, AyrTroopMajor said:

I have seen Dortmund play there 5 times and the atmosphere has been good, but nothing special each time. Experienced better atmospheres at Köln, Schalke and Gladbach in the NRW region.

Maybe I was just lucky on the occasion I went, but I've never heard anything like it. I found Hertha and Werder Bremen to be better than Schalke, but again maybe just down to what was happening on the pitch.

11 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

from the architectural point of view, Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles; was also an amazing sporting event as I was there to see pitching 'phenom' Fernando Valenzuela throw a no-hitter with 40,000 people watching in rapt silence as he pitched his way towards a perfect game in to the 7th inning of a night game just after midsummer; i know a lot of folk think that US sports are just shite, but something like that, with the tension inexorably building and building over two hours plus is just captivating

for me, football is all about the atmosphere and I struggle to disassociate venues (bricks and mortar) from events (life and death); there are two games that stick out though, both of which make the venues the 'best grounds'; first was Modena back in 1991 towards the end of the season with Hellas chasing the Serie B title; threw away a two goal lead to f**k up, but the place was bursting at the seams (well - the settore ospiti was anyway) and it was absolutely fucking mental for the duration; second one was just this last May - Rovers play-off 2nd leg at Charlton in front of a full house - again, place was in complete ferment from start to finish, all sorts of 'scenes' moments - wonderful, gut wrenching, tortuous stuff - but even with the final failure from my perspective, the place still exploded and everyone was caught up in it

there's also an awful lot to be said for an extended day on the piss watching test cricket from the  Surridge terrace at The Oval...

Superb pictures especially the top one.  I love American sports.

Have you sat on the Western terrace at Headingly ? You can't beat that for atmosphere when England are playing well.

11 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

You were in the home end at The Valley as your team lost the Playoff Semi-Final? I'd file that under 'Sare Yin'.