The voice of junior football

Bill Kilgour

On 19/12/2019 at 08:03, Burnie_man said:

Defo something wrong with it, if its claiming ERJFA in at tier 6, again.......

According to the podcast, one of the reasons why Craigroyston are folding is because the referees and assistants are more expensive now they're in the pyramid! :lol: I wonder if the person  @Bill Kilgour has been talking to in the East Region is based in Dundee...

John Redmond said the pyramid will mean the bigger teams will get bigger and smaller teams smaller. Err no, that's what is happening just now outside the pyramid, when the likes of Auchinleck can't get promoted!

Interesting discussion about the ground improvements and youth football (U21s) - two areas where the SJFA are not helping clubs by hoarding money and not getting rid of reinstatement.

Edited by Ginaro

11 hours ago, Ginaro said:

According to the podcast, one of the reasons why Craigroyston are folding is because the referees and assistants are more expensive now they're in the pyramid! :lol: I wonder if the person  @Bill Kilgour has been talking to in the East Region is based in Dundee...

John Redmond said the pyramid will mean the bigger teams will get bigger and smaller teams smaller. Err no, that's what is happening just now outside the pyramid, when the likes of Auchinleck can't get promoted!

Interesting discussion about the ground improvements and youth football (U21s) - two areas where the SJFA are not helping clubs by hoarding money and not getting rid of reinstatement.

The SJFA do have their own negotiated fees for refs, or at least used to, so they may well be cheaper but not significantly so, certainly no more than £10 a game.  Craigroyston matches probably don't have assistants that often.  As for bigger teams getting bigger etc, as you say Talbot widen the gap each year due in part to Scottish Cup money.

This sort of misinformation is deliberate.

Most of the Scottish money is spent on ground improvements which enables us to take a real football ground into the pyramid unlike the floodlit cages that the SFA are willing to promote. The fact that our team is also not to do with money as we are lucky enough to have coaching staff who can sniff out quality players from the lower leagues. In our match  up at Arbroath seven of our starting line up had never played a game in senior football.

The football podcast is a Junior one, and as Bill and John have pointed out they are not to well versed in the ins and outs of the pyramid. Fair do's to them they are promoting lower league football and I for one enjoy their production.

Edited by Blackie Gold

53 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Most of the Scottish money is spent on ground improvements which enables us to take a real football ground into the pyramid unlike the floodlit cages that the SFA are willing to promote. The fact that our team is also not to do with money as we are lucky enough to have coaching staff who can sniff out quality players from the lower leagues. In our match  up at Arbroath seven of our starting line up had never played a game in senior football.

The football podcast is a Junior one, and as Bill and John have pointed out they are not to well versed in the ins and outs of the pyramid. Fair do's to them they are promoting lower league football and I for one enjoy their production.

Interesting, not so long ago Talbot fowk were claiming that ground improvements were solely down to their own hard work in raising funds. Thanks for correcting that.

As for the radio show, if they are not well versed in the Pyramid then perhaps they should be in the interests of challenging misconceptions.  After all, it's the major off-field issue facing the game and too many involved in it believe myths and half truths.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Interesting, not so long ago Talbot fowk were claiming that ground improvements were solely down to their own hard work in raising funds. Thanks for correcting that.

As for the radio show, if they are not well versed in the Pyramid then perhaps they should be in the interests of challenging misconceptions.  After all, it's the major off-field issue facing the game and too many involved in it believe myths and half truths.

Most of the work is done by the BRC which is a supporters committee who have funded the enclosures, stand catering block and toilets. They have also raised the majority of the funding for the lights. Talbot themselves take care of the pitch, the surroundings and recently funded the electrical supply to the the ground which will service the lights. Amazing solidarity between the club and the supporters and this is why Talbot are where they are today.

As for the podcast I'm sure the vast majority of the listeners will be heartbroken that it doesn't come up to your expectations, It's a labour of love by two commited fans trying to bring some recognition to non league football. I'm sure as soon as they listen in to the more influential EOSL Podcast then they might pick up some pointers. But then again?

12 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Most of the work is done by the BRC which is a supporters committee who have funded the enclosures, stand catering block and toilets. They have also raised the majority of the funding for the lights. Talbot themselves take care of the pitch, the surroundings and recently funded the electrical supply to the the ground which will service the lights. Amazing solidarity between the club and the supporters and this is why Talbot are where they are today.

Great to hear.

12 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

As for the podcast I'm sure the vast majority of the listeners will be heartbroken that it doesn't come up to your expectations, It's a labour of love by two commited fans trying to bring some recognition to non league football. I'm sure as soon as they listen in to the more influential EOSL Podcast then they might pick up some pointers. But then again?

Getting basic facts right isn't much to ask for a football podcast, especially for an issue looming large on the horizon for Junior football.   We still have clubs who think floodlights are required for the Pyramid, or a seated stand.  Any ERJFA clubs listening might now think (wrongly) it's a "done deal" for tier 6 next season, and that the Pyramid only benefits the big teams.

Getting basic facts right isn't much to ask for a football podcast, especially for an issue looming large on the horizon for Junior football.   We still have clubs who think floodlights are required for the Pyramid, or a seated stand.  Any ERJFA clubs listening might now think (wrongly) it's a "done deal" for tier 6 next season, and that the Pyramid only benefits the big teams.

So, enlighten us. Are floodlights required or not?

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Great to hear.

Might be good if Bill and John got you down for a show, the pyramid is going to happen and this could be the ideal podium to spread the word.

I heard on Saturday that it's not 'suggestions' that were put forward by the PWG, but 'Options'.
With the instruction of pick one of the four, or the SFA will pick one for you.
Option Z has ERSJFA in at tier 6.

Only at tier 5 (HL and LL) and above, and to get a Licence.
You can play at tier 6 (EoS Premier & SoS) and below without lights, or a stand, or cover.
So, the Pyramid that was meant to remove the glass ceiling has just replaced it.
If you haven't got lights you can't get to tier 5.
Please explain the benefits of this magical Pyramid to me please.

Just now, Beenzon-Toste said:

I heard on Saturday that it's not 'suggestions' that were put forward by the PWG, but 'Options'.
With the instruction of pick one of the four, or the SFA will pick one for you.
Option Z has ERSJFA in at tier 6.

Incorrect.  In fact, Petrie was apparently at pains to point out the exact opposite, these are not official SFA positions, and it is not the case of having to pick one 

All the leagues were asked to do was provide feedback on the suggestions given by Petrie.  I guess amendments or other suggestions can be fed back as well.  Same goes for the HL/LL dividing line, opinions are being asked.  The EoS clubs will have a chance to do this in a few weeks time.

Whether the SJFA are spinning a different story I have no idea.

1 minute ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

So, the Pyramid that was meant to remove the glass ceiling has just replaced it.
If you haven't got lights you can't get to tier 5.
Please explain the benefits of this magical Pyramid to me please.

It's not a glass ceiling, I'm sure if Coldstream, Burntisland Shipyard, Civil Service Strollers, Haddington, St.Andrews etc  (no disrespect to any of them), can install them, then most clubs can.

The immediate benefit is a season long fixture list where midweek winter games can be scheduled to catch-up on postponements without disrupting the fixture list, instead of the 4 games a week in May and June.