The remote island of St Helena (easier to get to now)

Fullerene

• Fullerene changed the title to The remote island of St Helena (easier to get to now)
6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Whit's it like for pubs, bookies 'n 'at?

Better than anywhere else within a thousand miles obviously!

There were three or four pubs in Jamestown and the nightclub Donnie's is where everyone goes on Friday and Saturday night.  You can certainly hear it.

Did not spot any bookies but I could be wrong.

There are no ATM machines and almost everywhere is cash.  Some places accept credit cards but add a 5% surcharge.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Better than anywhere else within a thousand miles obviously!

There were three or four pubs in Jamestown and the nightclub Donnie's is where everyone goes on Friday and Saturday night.  You can certainly hear it.

Did not spot any bookies but I could be wrong.

There are no ATM machines and almost everywhere is cash.  Some places accept credit cards but add a 5% surcharge.

Do they take Scottish notes?

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do they take Scottish notes?

TBH I don't know.  I had to pay my hotel bill, car hire and everything in cash and it would have been a problem if they did not accept them.

Possibly the Bank of St Helena would but would charge a commission to change them into St Helena notes.

They have their own notes and coins.  The coins look identical to ours but the notes do not.  The bank charges commission to convert their own notes into Bank of England notes even though they are worth the same amount.  It is a challenge to offload their notes before you leave the island.

Unless you are going up to Ascension Island which uses the same notes but I guess you probably already knew that! 

There are only two flights a week and previously only one a week so lots of people head down to the airport to watch the plane come and go.

When I was leaving the local radio announced that the plane would arrive early and suggested we do the same.  Apparently everybody did.  So we all got on board and the plane left an hour early.  That's a first for me!

On 20/12/2019 at 23:44, Fullerene said:

There are only two flights a week and previously only one a week so lots of people head down to the airport to watch the plane come and go.

When I was leaving the local radio announced that the plane would arrive early and suggested we do the same.  Apparently everybody did.  So we all got on board and the plane left an hour early.  That's a first for me!

Claim your money back.