Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I just hope once the vaccine is rolled out that compliance naturally falls away. The Government will be giving into the fear in the population, but that shouldn't exist once the vaccine rollout is done.

45 minutes ago, Donathan said:

IMG_2596.jpg

This tweet says it all for me. The SG are all about promoting independence of thought, but their position on hotel quarantine is largely based on whatever the UKG does “plus a token extra to make us look like we are clamping down”

If Swinney and his mates really wanted to set the onus they’d come out an announce the Scottish policy before Boris.

Were people on here not arguing previously that this was a reserved matter and therefore Scotland couldn't announce its own policies/rules.

21 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Why should we accept any restrictions once everyone has been vaccinated though? Assuming the vaccines do their job there should be no requirement.

I agree that the messages coming from the government suggest otherwise but I'm in two minds as to whether this is a bit of fear mongering to ensure compliance with current restrictions or whether they genuinely believe restrictions will be needed for some time. If its the latter then the games a bogey.

Lots of people in Holland aren't accepting them right now. 

If the vaccine really was a game changer I think governments would be acting very differently. Prepare to be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A summer of people paying £900 per person for five nights  in Butlins ought to be enough to prompt the overthrow of the government tbh. 

The only positive that "could" come from something like this, is a long overdue focus and complete overhaul of some utterly ridiculous and outdated licencing laws, much needed investment in some of our so called "holiday resorts", an attitude change of some in our hospitality industry and a long hard look at WHY certain main bus and ferry routes only run until 6pm in the middle of summer or even earlier on a Sunday !!

Who knows, some long term good could even come out of this disaster ??

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If the vaccine really was a game changer I think governments would be acting very differently. Prepare to be disappointed.

So we just stay in lockdown for years then?  Chasing zero Covid?

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Yes, I'd tend to agree with you, it's quite concerning how they all seem to be planning for the long haul and no country at all appears to be breaking ranks on this.

If i was a conspiracy theorist / cynical, I'd actually question if the "vaccine" wasn't some coordinated PR stunt designed to give hope and keep people in line for another few months..........

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I'd tend to agree with you, it's quite concerning how they all seem to be planning for the long haul and no country at all appears to be breaking ranks on this.

If i was a conspiracy theorist / cynical, I'd actually question if the "vaccine" wasn't some coordinated PR stunt designed to give hope and keep people in line for another few months..........

The number of people involved in keeping that ‘conspiracy’ under wraps at all levels and across private industry and public sector would be absolutely massive, there is no way that is happening. 

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You'd hope it's the first scenario.  Lockdowns absolutely destroy the economy so they can't, in good conscience, keep them in place as the vaccines do exactly what they were designed to do,

There's already mutterings about further extending furlough until September / October 2021, the mere fact that this is being discussed in the corridors of power doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The great reset.

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

Would anyone bar health professionals routinely know the names of different Flu vaccines? Are there different ones?

My son is entitled to a flu jag as he has asthma. When we went to get it we were asked about him feeling fine over the previous couple of days and whether or not he had any egg allergy. That was it.

Eggy jag jag?

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The number of people involved in keeping that ‘conspiracy’ under wraps at all levels and across private industry and public sector would be absolutely massive, there is no way that is happening. 

Watch this space, if we start to read about eminent scientists meeting with bizarre and unexplained fatal accidents followed by suicides of "troubled" junior civil servants, then we'll know we're on to something !!

There's already mutterings about further extending furlough until September / October 2021, the mere fact that this is being discussed in the corridors of power doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence.

Ask yourself whether you think conference centres, nightclubs and events will be open and functioning as normal on May 1st. And then ask yourself again whether a furlough extension is a bad idea.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It would be comparable to something like the big oil companies having knowledge of the impact of climate change for decades and not only keeping the data secret but funding denialism. 

Which happened. 

It's hard to tell what government's are thinking with regards to their future policies.  There is lots of noise from scientists and doctor's about "Zero-Covid", but not much officially from governments (either the SG or WM) beyond us needing to carry on with the restrictions just now.  Part of me wonders, and hopes, that the downplaying of vaccines is just a move to manage expectations and avoid any blaming if they don't make a meaningful impact on hospitalisations/deaths.  I have also said a few times that I don't think governments are comfortable with the onus now being on them to deliver the vaccines and are preferring to shift the focus back on to public responsibility.  I think they are waiting to see if vaccinations make a difference before deciding the overall policy.  

I am still hoping that the governments, and populations,  will ultimately choose to listen to comments like Whitty's about learning to live with it.  Did the shinning example of  "zero-covid", Jacinda Ardern, not say to the NZ parliament that their ultimate goal is to get to the point whereby covid becomes managed like the flu?  Within that statement, there is a tacit acceptance that absolute zero-covid is fallacy and it is something that has to be managed in the long run.  

However, I am concerned that given the SG's ultra-cautious, safety-before-everything-else, approach - coupled with the new quarantine requirements - that zero-covid will become the focus up here.  Arguably, we almost achieved it in the summer and Leitch has claimed that foreign travel was behind the upsurge in cases throughout the autumn (couldn't possibly have been any other sort of institutions, could it?).   But it took nearly 4 months to reach that point, and we never even fully loosened restrictions before  strict limits were put on us again.  How long and severe a lockdown would we need to endure to reach that?  Surely the medicine will be worse than the disease by that point?

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Ask yourself whether you think conference centres, nightclubs and events will be open and functioning as normal on May 1st. And then ask yourself again whether a furlough extension is a bad idea.

By your own reasoning though, do you think these same venues will be "functioning as normal" come December 2021 ??

What about the people who worked for Debenhams or Arcadia group or any of the many others who have pulled the plug ?

Where and when do we draw the line ?

The world has changed, it's a disaster for many, however why should the state continue to give some people up to £2,500 per month, when others are only being given £300 per month ??

How is that right or indeed fair in any way whatsoever ??

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

By your own reasoning though, do you think these same venues will be "functioning as normal" come December 2021 ??

IF the vaccines work as well as they initially appear to be in Israel there is really no reason why not.

It's very different closing entire sectors when there is a demonstrable threat to the healthcare system than it would be to keep those same sectors closed for an extra 6 months plus just in case something pops up.

Using that logic, nothing would ever open again.