Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m going to guess you missed the reasoning above, but to paraphrase and summarise:

1. GP practices need to operate as normal through the week
2. They set up weekend clinics (overtime).
3. Most of these are a Saturday
4. Are you expecting them all just to work 7 days a week, without break?
5. What’s your plan to deal with the staff burnout and sick days such a plan would result in?
Can't the selfish buggers be thankful for all that "clapping" energy? Captain Tom didn't take Sunday off when he went to the Caribbean, you know.

21 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not implying that either, what I am saying is that opening a GP's on a Sunday isn't an unattainable goal and we should be working towards a 7 day operation to help vaccinations.  I'm not sure why that is seen as something "ridiculous".

Largely because GPs surgeries are probably working at or very close to their capacity as things are. You simply can't say to everyone who works in a GPs surgery there'll be no days off for anyone until September.

The dedicated vaccination centres are where there's much more scope to increase capacity.

Worth saying yesterday’s tally from Scotland was proportionately the highest of any UK nation on a Sunday so far. Treble last week’s figure which blew my expectations out of the water.

There’s an argument for more to be done of course but quite simply it requires more vaccinators. Without that you’re just squeezing even more out of the same people and sooner or later that bubble bursts. The size/scale of vaccination is unprecedented and frankly unsustainable. We can’t do it like this every year.

Largely because GPs surgeries are probably working at or very close to their capacity as things are. You simply can't say to everyone who works in a GPs surgery there'll be no days off for anyone until September.
The dedicated vaccination centres are where there's much more scope to increase capacity.
Again, I'm not suggesting everyone works 7 days a week, but neither am I accepting that opening on a Sunday can't be done under any circumstances.

We have a distinct lag on a Sunday. We don't really know why - NS said last week she needed to look into it - it could be GP's or a mixture of that and other circumstances.

It's the weekend, a lot of people aren't working, so the opportunity is there to get people jagged that perhaps have to cancel or find difficulty with weekday appointments.

I see it as an opportunity being missed, but if next Sundays figures rise again then all good, it's being looked at.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

Again, I'm not suggesting everyone works 7 days a week, but neither am I accepting that opening on a Sunday can't be done under any circumstances.

We have a distinct lag on a Sunday. We don't really know why - NS said last week she needed to look into it - it could be GP's or a mixture of that and other circumstances.

It's the weekend, a lot of people aren't working, so the opportunity is there to get people jagged that perhaps have to cancel or find difficulty with weekday appointments.

I see it as an opportunity being missed, but if next Sundays figures rise again then all good, it's being looked at.

No reasonable employer will refuse you time off to get vaccinated.  You have to be allowed time off for medical issues.  If you can't make the effort because you have something more important to do then hell mend you.

No reasonable employer will refuse you time off to get vaccinated.  You have to be allowed time off for medical issues.  If you can't make the effort because you have something more important to do then hell mend you.
There could be a whole number of reasons why you have difficulty making an appointment which you had no input into.

17 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

How do you get them to open on a Sunday without either making people work 7 days a week or just shifting the days people work (which, again, will put precisely zero more vaccines into zero more arms over the week)?

23 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I mean you've got a guy literally working a GP practice on the previous page saying they can't do much more without killing themselves, but aye, keep saying it's possible and someone might believe you.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

How do you get them to open on a Sunday without either making people work 7 days a week or just shifting the days people work (which, again, will put precisely zero more vaccines into zero more arms over the week)?

Recruit people, train volunteers, ask retired staff to return, a combination of any or all of that.  Do what they're doing to staff the new mass vaccination centres.

Have GP's attempted that?  is any of that impossible?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I mean you've got a guy literally working a GP practice on the previous page saying they can't do much more without killing themselves, but aye, keep saying it's possible and someone might believe you.

I seriously couldn't care whether you believe me or not.

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Recruit people, train volunteers, ask retired staff to return, a combination of any or all of that.  Do what they're doing to staff the new mass vaccination centres.

Have you volunteered your services?

Just now, Burnieman said:

And why would you focus any of that on GP surgeries, rather than on to the mass vaccination centres?

Pushing all new capacity into the mass vaccination centres is a better idea than putting some of it into GP surgeries.