Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Anyone who actually believed that June 21 would be back to normal obviously hasn't been paying attention. '10 weeks to beat coronavirus', 'back to normal by Christmas', 'all restrictions ended by Easter'. 

Aye there is no talk at all about a return to genuine normality from any government and a fair amount of media priming for another winter lockdown getting sprinkled about. 

The public facing push for vaccine passports seems to have been abandoned for now as well.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Whilst this  news will be no surprise to anyone, I can confirm it to be true, got my vaccine on Saturday and arm is still pretty sore 

Mine was sore for a week 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Because he is incapable of making a decision. He always has been and this is no exception - he was bounced into lockdown as well. 

I suspect he also knows he fucked up previously and is now terrified of letting go of the restrictions. 

It would distract from his pishing across the broadsheets, he needs a new media strategist.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The UK government is hiring anyone.

It's local governments doing that.

Yeah I just re-read that this morning.  Could be councils just looking to use the extra funding they've been given and these jobs end up either not happening or people get paid to wonder about towns and do very little.  

Other thing I was thinking about, which I think you've alluded to as well, is that Johnson is a populist and will basically say or do anything that makes him look good.  If the pressure is on him due to his alleged comments, then a policy that makes it look like he cares more then may be being floated as a way to stave off that criticism.  

Edited by super_carson

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Always Sunny' Fun Facts

Again it's not a conspiracy theory when the government announce they are doing it. 

This is similar to climate change denial in that a  large proportion of people seem to be unable to comprehend that social relations can change (even if you are western, white, British, Scottish, middle class). 

When they say Fourth Industrial Revolution they mean Revolution. 

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's what happens when you have rampant corruption and a government prioritising space exploration and nuclear weapons before they have fully functioning health and welfare systems.

Which all stems from Gangster Britain stealing $45 trillion from India. 

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's what happens when you have rampant corruption and a government prioritising space exploration and nuclear weapons before they have fully functioning health and welfare systems.

Something like this happening in a country like India was both inevitable and tragic. I'm only surprised it hasn't happened before and more often. You look at the US and see a similar thing with their dysfunctional health system.

Think they said last night only about 1% of GDP is spent on healthcare in India.  Only figures I can find indicate its actually about 3.5%.  People like to have a moan about how underfunded the NHS is but to put it into perspective about 10% of our GDP is spent on healthcare.

Just now, oaksoft said:

India are prioritising nuclear weapons and a space program over a functioning health service because of "Ganster Britain stealing $45 trillion" from them?

Riiiiiight.

Contemporary India is wholly the product of British colonialism.

That's not at all complicated. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Contemporary India is wholly the product of British colonialism.

That's not at all complicated. 

A sweeping generalisation. No doubt British colonialism has a huge impact, but to suggest ‘wholly’ is a stretch. There are many factors, before and after British colonisation that contribute to India as it is today.

17 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I worked in a charity clinic in India for 6 months in 2002, the poverty was horrendous as was the healthcare unfortunately unless you were rich.  You could then afford the best.

The vast majority though were having to share oxygen masks etc, interesting when some of them had TB etc.   It really was dreadful.

As for their reported cases deaths etc that will be way under the actual real total.

Again shows the benefits of an effective vaccine rollout compared to chaos.

16 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm going out for lunch shortly.  Looking forward too it.

Absolutely gone @ these posts being right next to each other on the thread. 😂

12 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

A sweeping generalisation. No doubt British colonialism has a huge impact, but to suggest ‘wholly’ is a stretch. There are many factors, before and after British colonisation that contribute to India as it is today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livemint.com/Companies/HNZA71LNVNNVXQ1eaIKu6M/British-Raj-siphoned-out-45-trillion-from-India-Utsa-Patna.html%3ffacet=amp 

Having $45 trillion in wealth stolen from a nation is going to be a huge drag on any modern development. The British Empire also hugely enflamed existing ethnic tensions. 

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livemint.com/Companies/HNZA71LNVNNVXQ1eaIKu6M/British-Raj-siphoned-out-45-trillion-from-India-Utsa-Patna.html%3ffacet=amp 

Having $45 trillion in wealth stolen from a nation is going to be a huge drag on any modern development. The British Empire also hugely enflamed existing ethnic tensions. 

Not sure the point your making here or maybe agreeing now? There is no debate that Britains part in India is far from good, but as you note above,  it is a ‘huge drag’ but it is not wholly responsible. That is a simplification.