OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

Assuming Boateng and Salazar sign, it'll be interesting to see who makes the European squad. It looks inevitable that some first teamers are going to miss out.

Assuming MacDonald can be registered, we can effectively name 23 senior players. This would be my best guess guess as things stand:

Clark / Gordon** / MacDonald**

Taylor / Oyegoke

Kent / Halkett*

Kingsley* / Rowles

Salazar / Penrice*

Baningime / Boateng

Nieuwenhof / Devlin

Dhanda / Spittal*

Vargas / Oda

McKay* / Forrest*

Shankland* / Boyce

That would see Tagawa, Grant and Musa miss out.

Delighted the season is finally here. Felt like quite a long summer.

Seasons in Europe are always just better. If we can beat Falkirk and get a cup quarter-final in early doors as well then it just makes the season so much more fun. Feels like there's something big happening every week when you throw at least 8 European games, a cup quarter and maybe semi, and the usual big league games into half a season. f**king brilliant.

I think we're looking ok relative to our rivals in terms of our squad, but we'll need to be patient this season. The early fixtures are quite unkind and the post-Europe fixtures are very bad. In the first five games we play both the Old firm, go to Dens, then have Motherwell away and United at home after European games. That's tough, and I expect there'll be a few of our rivals a good few points ahead of us early doors.

We also have Hibs and Aberdeen away after Europe, and Killie and Rangers too. Expect we'll have a bit of work to do to catch up in the second half of the season, but the squad looks deep enough to do that.

I'd take being within 6 points or so of third by January.

Long season ahead though, and I think decent cause for optimism.

Edited by VincentGuerin

New contract for Kingsley is imminent. Brilliant news IMO, would be happy to see him retire here.

We genuinely feel like a very well run club at the minute, it's a bit disconcerting. 

36 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

New contract for Kingsley is imminent. Brilliant news IMO, would be happy to see him retire here.

We genuinely feel like a very well run club at the minute, it's a bit disconcerting. 

Even had a quarterly update from our CEO without him making an absolute tit of himself.

On 02/08/2024 at 13:32, VincentGuerin said:

Delighted the season is finally here. Felt like quite a long summer.

Seasons in Europe are always just better. If we can beat Falkirk and get a cup quarter-final in early doors as well then it just makes the season so much more fun. Feels like there's something big happening every week when you throw at least 8 European games, a cup quarter and maybe semi, and the usual big league games into half a season. f**king brilliant.

I think we're looking ok relative to our rivals in terms of our squad, but we'll need to be patient this season. The early fixtures are quite unkind and the post-Europe fixtures are very bad. In the first five games we play both the Old firm, go to Dens, then have Motherwell away and United at home after European games. That's tough, and I expect there'll be a few of our rivals a good few points ahead of us early doors.

We also have Hibs and Aberdeen away after Europe, and Killie and Rangers too. Expect we'll have a bit of work to do to catch up in the second half of the season, but the squad looks deep enough to do that.

I'd take being within 6 points or so of third by January.

Long season ahead though, and I think decent cause for optimism.

Having a lot of tough away games after Europe might not be a bad thing on the basis that you'd "budget" most of your points from elsewhere, so any dropped points aren't necessarily a disaster.

Last season our post-Europe games were Kilmarnock and Motherwell at home and Dundee away and we took 1 point out of 9. That was a bit of a nightmare considering we'd have been looking for 6-7 points from those games. Swap those for visits to Pittodrie, Ibrox and Rugby Park or something and we'd be looking at 2-3 points as a decent return.

You could also argue it's easier to get the adrenaline going for a game against Hibs or Aberdeen than it is for a home game against St Johnstone in front of a sleepy Sunday crowd after a hard shift in midweek.

More importantly, our strength in depth is looking really good across most of the squad. There were probably 3-4 starting yesterday who won't be first picks, but all of them performed well. As long as we can keep injuries to a reasonable level we ought to cope fine with Europe I think.

48 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Having a lot of tough away games after Europe might not be a bad thing on the basis that you'd "budget" most of your points from elsewhere, so any dropped points aren't necessarily a disaster.

Last season our post-Europe games were Kilmarnock and Motherwell at home and Dundee away and we took 1 point out of 9. That was a bit of a nightmare considering we'd have been looking for 6-7 points from those games. Swap those for visits to Pittodrie, Ibrox and Rugby Park or something and we'd be looking at 2-3 points as a decent return.

You could also argue it's easier to get the adrenaline going for a game against Hibs or Aberdeen than it is for a home game against St Johnstone in front of a sleepy Sunday crowd after a hard shift in midweek.

More importantly, our strength in depth is looking really good across most of the squad. There were probably 3-4 starting yesterday who won't be first picks, but all of them performed well. As long as we can keep injuries to a reasonable level we ought to cope fine with Europe I think.

That's a fair point about budgeted points.

I think the squad looks as capable of coping with it as it's reasonable to expect. The club have done a good job of developing this squad year on year, and I think without Europe we'd absolutely f**king skoosh third. As things stand I don't think it would even be a discussion.

It does complicate things slightly though.

From a supporters' point of view it's fantastic. Thursday European games followed by trips to Easter Road and Pittodrie are the kind of weeks you want. I'm really looking forward to it all. My bank balance is not.

Potential play off opponents now known.
Braga (POR)/Servette (SUI)
Molde (NOR)/Cercle Brugge (BEL)
Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih (UKR)/Viktoria Plzen (CZE)
Midtjylland (DEN)/Ferencvaros (***)

Some really tough ties but no one that you'd basically resign yourselves to getting pumped from, apart from maybe Braga. Brugge or Plzen probably look our best shot.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Some really tough ties but no one that you'd basically resign yourselves to getting pumped from, apart from maybe Braga. Brugge or Plzen probably look our best shot.

I've been to Pilzen

It's where they invented Pilsener lager

The Brewery tour was really good

Eastern Ukraine might not be so fun

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Yep. Braga is the only one you'd say we'd have very little chance on the face of it. I'm assuming they've improved since we pumped them 20 years ago.

Edited by DC92

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've been to Pilzen

It's where they invented Pilsener lager

The Brewery tour was really good

Eastern Ukraine might not be so fun

Will the Ukranians be allowed to play home games, or have to play at a neutral venue? 

Winners of Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih or Viktoria Plzen. Away leg first. We'll be underdogs but not an impossible task. Being away first is good, just go there with the aim of keeping the tie alive.

Plzeň got to the Europa Conference League quarters last season, winning every game in the group and only conceding 3 goals in 10 games.

Kryvbas haven't played in Europe before but did finish 3rd in the Ukrainian league.

Edited by DC92

1 minute ago, DC92 said:

Plzeň got to the Europa League quarters last season, winning every game in the group and only conceding 3 goals in 10 games.

Kryvbas haven't played in Europe before but did finish 3rd in the Ukrainian league.

It was the Conference League, but still yeah impressive. They'd be favourites as I say, but they are 3rd in the Czech league last season. It's always going to be hard at this level but we've also had games before where we almost have zero chance at all. If we are at our best I think we have a chance of an upset.

17 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think the squad looks as capable of coping with it as it's reasonable to expect. The club have done a good job of developing this squad year on year, and I think without Europe we'd absolutely f**king skoosh third. As things stand I don't think it would even be a discussion.

It does complicate things slightly though.

The squad is getting towards the big side again and I hope/expect Naismith to rotate a lot more. Robbie's undoing imo was he persisted with the same players and (despite injuries) didn't utilise the whole squad 

1 hour ago, Galajambo said:

Will the Ukranians be allowed to play home games, or have to play at a neutral venue? 

Apparently they play in Slovakia at the moment