OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

It's a huge result and I am relieved. I also think we were due a bit of luck in spite of how poor we've been this season. Felt a wee bit like the LC win at Rugby Park a year ago which kickstarted us a bit.

Thing is, we all want to see a manager come in with a clear style of play, but I'm struggling to see how they a tune out of these forward options at the moment. It feels like our best chance of success is getting back to last season's pattern of making sure we're solid in defence and hoping Shankland does something. I was content with that at the time because it was a platform to build on with the European money but that hasn't happened.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

It's a huge result and I am relieved. I also think we were due a bit of luck in spite of how poor we've been this season. Felt a wee bit like the LC win at Rugby Park a year ago which kickstarted us a bit.

Thing is, we all want to see a manager come in with a clear style of play, but I'm struggling to see how they a tune out of these forward options at the moment. It feels like our best chance of success is getting back to last season's pattern of making sure we're solid in defence and hoping Shankland does something. I was content with that at the time because it was a platform to build on with the European money but that hasn't happened.

I think the key thing is getting these guys to play with some worked on movement off the ball - we're so rigid in how we get the ball info wide players etc that they rarely get the ball in behind or to run onto.  There's an aversion to taking risks.   Nobody dribbles the ball.

I think there's enough ability in some of these guys that we should be playing more fluidly than we are but we definitely need new bodies in January

4 minutes ago, DC92 said:

While I think we need a few new options, I also think a bit confidence and a clear plan can get more from what we have. Vargas got 9 goals last year, we were all happy with him. Utilise him properly instead of sticking him on the touchline and not giving him anything to work with. Maybe actually have a look at Musa.

Oda, McKay and Forrest are all equally frustrating but also capable enough if we play in a way that can utilise them properly. If the tactic is purely to get in the final 3rd and hope someone produces a bit of magic, we'll continue to toil.

2 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Our club coefficient is now currently 8.500. It's wild to think about, but a win and a draw would put us to 10.000 and potentially put us above the conference league play off cutoff point in order to be seeded. 9.650(Cercle Brugge). Hence no absolute giant b*****ds to qualify against.

I'll not get carried away yet, but get those results in Europe, get a hopefully solid enough appointment to get us playing well again, then sneaking into one of the qualifying European spots and getting through there seems wildly seems more feasible than overturning Aberdeen.

Tl;Dr. Get two results, get into the top 5 in the league and qualifying might not be as difficult next season.

Taken from the Euro thread, but this is a good point.

A win and a draw from here is a perfectly reasonable expectation and could be really significant if we can haul ourselves into the qualifiers next year.

While the likes of Riga and Minsk are undoubtedly shite, it shouldn't be overlooked that winning all of our games so far against this lot isn't something that can be taken for granted. Scottish teams don't routinely gub these sides, so making winning these ties a habit is a big deal in terms of providing a platform.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Hopefully start to hear more about the manager situation over the weekend. Ideally want it done early in the international break.

Agreed. We're going to be 2 games a week for most of the foreseeable with so getting that sweet spot between not rushing the appointment but also getting it done in time for our upcoming fixtures is the predicament.

The players are going to end since Naismith left in spite of how low on confidence we are and it would be easy to have downed tools but whoever comes in is going to have a squad ready to meet him halfway.

I don't care how shite we played. We won an away European fixture. It rarely happens and should be savoured. 

35 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I don't care how shite we played. We won an away European fixture. It rarely happens and should be savoured. 

Indeed.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

While the likes of Riga and Minsk are undoubtedly shite, it shouldn't be overlooked that winning all of our games so far against this lot isn't something that can be taken for granted. Scottish teams don't routinely gub these sides, so making winning these ties a habit is a big deal in terms of providing a platform.

Both RFS and Minsk have pretty respectable European records in recent years. Fiorentina and Basaksehir both dropped points to RFS the year we played them and this season they've qualified for the Europa League and drew with Galatasaray from 2-0 down last night. Minsk this season lost 2-1 on aggregate to Ludogorets (winning the "home" leg) and 2-0 on aggregate to Anderlecht so they're also a stuffy side. Gubbings are few and far between for either and certainly haven't been dished out by Scottish Premiership level teams.

Taking 9 points from these games is a success without a doubt.

Edited by DC92