Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

August 2110

9uYAAuo.png

Exactly the start to the season I wanted, with four wins and a draw with Vasas where we probably deserved to win. The Bekescsaba game was a laugh, they brought it back from 3-1 to 3-3 in the final minute, before we waltzed up the park straight from kick off to score again and win it.

omtcydG.png

Brilliant stuff, and Vasas already dropping a load of points is helpful too. 

September 2110

DvBzBad.png

We're still unbeaten (domestically) this season. A disappointing draw to start us off, but we were great in the cup game against a weak side, and comfortable in the other league game.

Lorincz getting a hattrick in the cup could be very helpful - he's barely scored in ages but is my second choice striker, so hopefully that helps him.

BjrhNd2.png

Being top of the table doesn't really mean much at this stage of the season, but there's no denying that we've started really well. 

October 2110

sc3Xrvt.png

Can't really ask for much more than that. Some lovely late winners thrown in there, and we've only conceded goals in two league games this season, which is pretty mental.

upG1Sph.png

Starting to build up a little lead at the top. Without wanting to get ahead of myself, this is very promising. 

Vasas also being unbeaten is a worry though.

November 2110

MPHB46T.png

We've lost a game, which we didn't really deserve to lose, but we've also beaten both of the teams who I would consider title rivals this month so I don't really mind all that much about the loss. The Vasas game in particular we didn't deserve to win, but a dodgy 97th minute penalty was a fabulous gift. 

XcWLcGA.png

Vasas aren't unbeaten anymore either - they had a nightmare of a month to be honest.

We're starting to run away with this a bit. 

December 2110

2UaiIHl.png

Playing the bottom two sides in the league, so two fairly straightforward wins. Kajari got his first league goal for us, which is lovely to see for a youngster, and Kozlik did likewise although he's not a youngster.

tRXUXrW.png

Nine points ahead. We currently have more points than any other side has had at this point since I've been in Hungary.

January 2111

First up, transfer window opened.

1ahGt2j.png

A couple of outgoings, with a young guy with no chance of making it here away to play some games, and Vida off to Vasas. I'd have kept him, but he's not a starter here and if it's the standard that they're looking at then I'm happy enough.

We have one incoming player this month - Latvian international striker Andris Kalinins. He's spent his whole career so far at Ventspils, and has a pretty good scoring record in the Latvian league - roughly a goal every two games. There's obvious deficiencies in his game, but he has a good first touch, a good turn of pace and is a decent finisher. I think he'll do ok enough, and he's only here as a backup anyway.

Spoiler

z3g8diJ.png

OgnWase.png

A reasonable enough return to action. We remain in the cup and four points from six in the league, with a couple of late goals to get us the points. I'll take it.

qDLJvIs.png

Our lead at the top is now ten points, and starting to verge on the insurmountable. We'd need to completely f**k it to not win the league. 

February 2111

IYhQ8mO.png

Mauricio Mosquera away, which is a real shame as he was my best centre half, but 2.3 million up front and a load of other clauses were a good deal. I also cut my losses on Kristof Nagy.

The loss of Mosquera meant that I needed to bring in another centre back, and with a bit of cash to spend I splashed out £1.1million on 22 year old Rade Jovanovic. He's young and already among the better centre halves in the league, although he's the epitome of no-nonsense. Should develop into a really good player here, although with any luck i'll no need to wait around to see him do that. He's certainly a good replacement for the rest of the season.

Spoiler

ytuvjwI.png

Tig9SYu.png

A couple of frustrating draws, but the big result of the month is that 4-2 win against Ferencvaros. We went 1 down just before half time, but almost immediately responded and then found ourselves 4-1 up throughout the second half. All the more remarkable is that we basically only had four proper attacks in the game, and an xG for us of 0.69 versus 3.14 for them shows how clinical we were.

Still in the cup as well, and we face lower league opposition in the quarter final.

E6S8leq.png

15 points ahead, although Vasas have a game in hand. Ferencvaros have been all but knocked out the title race.

I'm happy to call it now - Kecskemeti will be Hungarian champions this season.

March 2111

d6zUPnZ.png

We're into the cup semi final, and still not been beaten in absolutely ages in the league. A draw with Vasas where we didn't play that well stopped them gaining any ground on us as well, so all in all, a good month. 

36ESinW.png

And still 15 points ahead, we're counting down until the celebrations can begin. 

April 2111

Td1DP4b.png

Given how far ahead we are, it didn't seem worthwhile doing it game by game to build suspense. We were clearly going to win the league at some point, and despite one absolute horrorshow against MTK, two penalties in a minute against Csakvar has seen us lift the league title.

We're also in with a shout of making it a double, with a cup final against Honved to look forward to.

pAsQtKu.png

Hq66aR3.png

qICTATF.png

We have absolutely pished the league this season. Assisted by both Vasas and Ferencvaros being relatively poor by their standards, but even still we've been excellent. 

May 2111

vDnodc9.png

I was playing a load of youth players and we were on our holidays already for these games. Shame to lose my final league match, but already champions and have the cup final to (hopefully) make up for it.

H60vaLN.png

We end up nine points clear at the top of the table. Our final points total isn't the most that any team has gotten, but would certainly be winning the league more often than not, so I'm happy.

A couple of awards for us too

Nf1yUVM.png

aYbNjvO.png

nM9dcXs.png

Inexplicably, neither the league's top scorer or the boy who got player of the year were in the team of the season. 

Anyway, one final game to go in Hungary. 

Hungarian Cup Final - May 2111

We've beaten Honved in all three league meetings this season, but all three times it's only been by one goal, so I would expect that this will be another tight affair. However, we have to go in as favourites to add a first cup win to our first title.

Spoiler

V85tyHl.png

As I thought, a very tight game with few real chances. McIntosh' goal was excellent, a good ball to him by Kozik found him on the edge of the box, his first touch took their two defenders out the game, another touch to set himself and then finished it well past the keeper. His 21st of the season in all competitions, which isn't bad considering his career prior to coming to Hungary looked like this...

aPBRBvO.png

But anyway...

IzcGWCY.png

PGiFmQ2.png

A double for us, and as always I'm away.

Just want to shout out to Colin Hogarth - broke his leg early on in the season, then tore a thigh muscle 14 minutes into his return. Unlucky son. 

Vd0KnFL.png

Next on the list is Croatia. 

qRkFjvG.png

I'm away to Southern Poland, to Zaglebie Sosnowiec. 

Sosnowiec itself appears, from what I can see, to be an industrial city, and the team itself used to be called Stal Sosnowiec due to the steelworks prevalent in the area. There still seems to be active steelworks and coal mines kicking about. The wikipedia page has a long list of famous people from Sosnowiec, but I've only ever heard of one of them - the boy who the film 'The Pianist' was about is from there. The city is also home to Poland's most successful women's football club, but that's nothing to do with Zaglebie. 

The club have won four Polish cups, and were runners up the Polish top flight four times as well, most recently in 1972. They've been a lower mid-table side in the top flight for a while now, with a couple of relegations and promotions thrown in too. Nothing too special though.

One thing that I do very much like about the club already is the amount of sheer hatred their fans seem to have for basically everyone else in Poland.

jruvXOE.png

Zaglebie Sosnowiec - Meet the Team

3 and a half stars is a decent Ekstraklasa player, 3 stars is a good player for the division below.

3fFXDli.png

Lechowicz is probably the best player in the squad, and there's a couple of guys who aren't too bad in reserve as well. It's fine I suppose.

A4FuUxV.png

Lamark is a good player. I'd rather have better wingers, but they aren't too bad. For reasons which will become apparent later in this post, I think I'll need to make do with them for a while.

q6mQArt.png

Lechowicz will be up front, so it's Goralczyk and Levin in midfield for me. Again, it's fine, nothing special there.

1xSgZQh.png

Defence is probably the best area of my squad. Another centre half wouldn't go amiss, but we'll see what happens.

gelE7b5.png

And Solis is pretty solid, pleased with that.

Anyway, as I said, I would like a few more players but the problem there is this...

AyWCD4T.png

1eJQpKj.png

Oh dear. I need to offload 60 grand of wages before I can even think about it. A tough ask.

Transfers 2111

6AzyxKB.png

gmuNHV4.png

wSbJIVI.png

Did someone say fire sale?

I would've rather had a few more permanent transfers as there's still a fair amount of wages I need to shift next summer, but that's a problem for then. I've still (just) got a good starting 11 but the squad is unquestionably worse than it was when I came in, and has absolutely no depth whatsoever. I got to the desired outcome by the end of the window though...

MVIR5u5.png

Anyway, the incoming players.

7oJYjNu.png

Wyganowski was signed before I turned up, and I've loaned him out and will look to sell him next season because I have no idea why they've signed him, so I'll no bother showing him.

The other four are here on loan and I'm not paying anything for three of them, and 50 quid a week for the other. 

Danijel Dimitrijevic is a striker, and he should be in with a shout of making a decent amount of appearances for us this season. Excellent finishing, movement and technique. He's not quite fast enough to be a really top player, but he looks good. Trust me, my signings are all downhill from here.

Spoiler

s0GgShm.png

Miroslav Lazarevic is a left back and a centre half, who is solid enough defensively, and very good physically. As far as players I could get for free go, he's about as good as I could get.

Spoiler

XXeXBly.png

Rafal Kozlowski is here to fill out my squad a wee bit. He's not up to it, but shouldn't have to play very much.

Spoiler

WGFfWCt.png

Stephen McQuillan is a backup keeper, who Hearts have very kindly let me have for nothing. He's worse than Szwoch who I've loaned out, but he's free which was the prerogative here. 

Spoiler

axpxElA.png

So there we are. I've definitely made the squad worse, but I'm hoping that we can just get through this season, get on a better financial footing and kick on next year. We'll see how that works out I guess. 

September 2111

1Hzdwwp.png

Cracovia are the reigning champions of Poland, winning the double last season, and already won the Supercup this season, so beating the was a fantastic effort. We deserved to beat them as well, which is especially good.

Got through a tricky all-top flight cup tie as well. 

The Pogon loss was disappointing, but these things will happen this season.

Al3UuDZ.png

If I can put some distance between us and 16th, that's all I'm bothered about. 

Trying to get a couple of young players into the team as well.

October 2111

tT76531.png

We're becoming very good at getting wins against the big guns in this league, with Lech Poznan the latest to lose to us, again via an Olav Lamark late winner. 

Rest of the month was fine, I guess, a good win in the cup and a couple of tight matches in the league that we didn't manage to get the desired result from.

Kamil Zaborowski finally scoring was very helpful though. It was only against some lower league muck, but even still.

rbMUlc1.png

As we approach the halfway stage of the season, we're sitting eight points ahead of the relegation spots. Ideal.