Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Transfers 2113

Lb55lEw.png

YBuECCT.png

ayskIil.png

One of these I would've rather have kept in Petar Dimitrov, but DInamo Zagreb met his release clause so he's away. 21 million quid for someone I got on a free transfer a year ago isn't bad though. A couple of other big money moves as well.

RLYOdys.png

And that's the incoming players.

Szymon Zalewski is a centre half from Lech Poznan. He's had a few seasons of being a regular for them, as well as a couple of loan spells at other top flight Polish clubs, and he's been capped by Poland as well so must have something about him. A good defender, and he can actually play football a bit which is always very helpful. I'm surprised that Lech didn't renew his contract but they didn't, and it's our gain.

Spoiler

PPLg0Ul.png

Guney Sahin is another free transfer, this time from Besiktas. He's an attacking midfielder, but I'll probably play him as my more creative central midfielder - he can also cover at left wing. A really technically gifted player who can't defend for shit, but i think he'll do well for us and I'm excited to have him.

Spoiler

btm1ZFk.png

Vladan Pantovic is a Serbian striker. Crvena Zvezda wouldn't let me keep Nikola Sarcevic, so it was imperative that I brought in another Serbian baller. Technically great, and a good finisher. He's also got a bit of speed, strength and outstanding movement. He should be really, really good - and means I have some excellent striking options.

Spoiler

gMaECBJ.png

Sam Lee is the only player I paid money for, and he's an attacking midfielder. He has loads of flair, loads of technical ability and should just generally be a very good laugh as a player.

Spoiler

JiWCVDo.png

Sebatian Sobota is a last minute left back. My actual left back, Shevchenko, got an ACL injury, but he'll be back next season so this guy is just here for the year as a stop gap. He's pretty good though, a solid but unspectacular player.

Spoiler

4LSckOv.png

August 2113

OAg2OXT.png

A frustrating draw with Arka aside, our season is continuing strongly so far. Only conceded one goal so far which bodes very well. Pantovic also getting semi-regular goals is nice to see.

A4iSaw6.png

And we still sit top, albeit our goal difference lead has been cut down. 

September 2113

cjxCjYI.png

Decent stuff, still ticking over in the league - although the winning margins are fairly slim, but still there. We did draw with Lech Poznan, and were possibly lucky to do so, but still picking up points.

A good start in Europe as well with a point in Portugal and a good win over PSV. Thumping win in the cup too.

AB5XuFK.png

A point off top, but we have a game in hand so a chance to get back to the top immediately. 

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Is there a lot of variation in the teams that win trophies in Poland? It seems like you've had different teams to fight with each season.

Compared to other leagues, aye. I make it 6 different winners in the last 13 years, with another 6 teams (including us) also making the top 3.

g3igPA8.png

October 2113

73gFnEG.png

Another really good month. We were down to ten men for 65 minutes of the Cracovia game, and they scored two really good goals, so happy with a draw in the circumstances, and then the other four results are all clearly excellent.

VXB0Qfy.png

Top of the table, but LKS Lodz are keeping track of us.

l7SK1KS.png

And we look in a very solid position to go through in Europe as well. 

November 2113

UdFv3GE.png

A tough month of games, and we've come through it relatively unscathed. 0-0 with both of the other teams in the top three, while we won the other game comfortably and got through in the cup.

Hibs got some revenge on us, although it was a close game, and we drew again with Tondela - probably deserved to win that one though.

Fmf83SC.png

Leaves us two points behind Lodz. Both of us being unbeaten this far into the season is ridiculous.

Pogon aren't far behind either, and are clearly a good team.

JdRdvaa.png

And we've made it through in Europe, although we'll be in the first knockout round. 

December 2113

NjOKZU8.png

Largely good stuff.

The loss against PSV didn't matter, and was a smash and grab from them, but oh well. Should've beaten Piast as well, but we didn't take our chances.

2xd4KJZ.png

We're now the only unbeaten side in the league, but we're still not top of the table.

W1PEEbT.png

And, as was already confirmed, we're through in Europe.

pZPfGN7.png

Oh.

Europa Conference League - First Knockout Round - February 2114

Spoiler

JYEDvgW.png

A shame, but they did absolutely batter us to be honest. Mun Chung-Guk's goal was an absolute screamer. The boy Lagarde is a Belgian international, and consistently scores more than 10 goals in Serie A every season, so clearly a very good player.

They're a really good side, and I think we'll be out on our arse here, despite the home leg still coming.

Spoiler

S8Kn90s.png

Aye, the tie was over by half time. We were having to attack them a good bit, and they were good enough to pick us off. Oh well, time to focus on domestic issues.

February 2114

uJ55pjr.png

Starting with the transfers, and it was goodbye to Wojciech Lechowicz, who has played his part for me, but ultimately just wasn't quite good enough for what I'm aiming to do here. I also got rid of Alvaro Ramirez, which I've been wanting to do for a long time, and a random youth player got punted too.

VjeT9em.png

I did bring in two players as well.

I'll start with Alonso Tobar, as I signed him in the summer window but had to wait for his 18th birthday for him to join. Chilean central midfielder, he's got a lot of potential. Likely to be a bit part player for now, but maybe in a few seasons that won't be the case.

Spoiler

lWmJgfc.png

Right, onto the boy I broke the Polish transfer record for - Norbert Lobaczewski. He looks fucking phenomenal. Only 19, and already he's among the most technically gifted players in my squad, and he can play comfortably in a few positions. There's just nothing about his game I don't like, and I'd expect that he'll play at a higher level than this soon enough.

Spoiler

3HN25gN.png

8gQvod6.png

Right, apart from the disappointment against Lazio, we had a good month. Just everything is going well for us.

Zsy4t62.png

And it's seen us back to the top of the table. We're still unbeaten as well. 

March 2114

gsa7nAn.png

The unbeaten run is over.

Probably the poorest month of the season, and at a bad time for it to come. We were lucky - very lucky - it wasn't two losses with a late equaliser against Lech. We did make it to the cup semi final and points are still coming in mostly, but need to improve.

Fy8L42Y.png

It sees us off the top of the table, with not long to go. 

Improvement needed. 

April 2114

FKthoGG.png

We really could've been doing with beating Pogon. It was probably the best we'd played in the league this month, but a late equaliser for them after they'd missed a penalty meant it wasn't to be.

Into the Cup final again, so we might be making it back-to-back titles there, which would be nice.

M46DJVU.png

We have LKS Lodz next - a must win, and then we'll need a favour.

The cup final is up before that though. 

Polish Cup Final - April 2114

Spoiler

3cCptvk.png

Two cup wins in a row - lovely stuff.

We started the game badly, but basically controlled it after the first 15 minutes. Weren't finishing our chances properly, but Bulat came on and scored with his first touch to get us over the line.

After the supercup, it's our second bit of silverware this year.

RMF7kn8.png

trmAp7M.png

Matchday 33 - May 2114

It's do or die for us - anything less than a win will see LKS Lodz win the title, while a win takes it to the final day. We've struggled against the other top sides a bit this season, with one win, three draws and a loss against the rest of the top four so far in the league.

Need that to change.

Spoiler

hcNZ8DC.png

That first half is the best we've played in my tenure. Stunning stuff. A couple of late goals from them took the shine off it a bit, but ultimately I'd have taken a horrendous 1-0 win so not too bothered.

aPKjw2j.png

We need to better their result on the final day, and it's out of our hands, but there's a chance. 

Matchday 34 - May 2114

Spoiler

xtF2xh0.png

We did our bit - just. They missed a penalty and we weren't great, but got over the line. Would it be enough?

Spoiler

t2UnIjh.png

No.

I got extremely excited when Belchatow took the lead, but knew it probably wouldn't last. It means that I'm here for another season.

6InHuNY.png

Into the Champions League at least.