Coaching

Mon_The_Fife

I’ve been given the opportunity to coach an under 13’s side here in Auckland, as I’ve always had an interest in getting into coaching since my playing days are coming to an end. I completed my level 1 badge during lockdown so it’s a good foundation but interested to hear and hints/tips from other coaches.

NZ football is embarking on a major shake up of their footballing strategy this year so will be interesting to see where it ends up.

Guided discovery mate, small sided games and be relatable!

I’ve coached for many years and what I find works for me is simply make them want to come back to training, we run Tuesday and Thursday with games on a Sunday! Tuesday night is all small sided games, maximum participation with loads and loads of touches. One of my pet hates is old school line drills where the team get a touch of a ball every 5 minutes and standing still and coaches why they aren’t paying attention!!! Thursday we run game related practices with passing sequences with either low medium of high blocks.

We set ground rules on what the parents and players can expect from myself as a coach and what I expect from them..... one thing is no sideline coaching from parents, personally I want to develop quick thinking and problem solving players!

It’s one of the most rewarding things ( if done for the right reasons ) that you can do..... hopefully you take to it [emoji16]

Guided discovery mate, small sided games and be relatable!

I’ve coached for many years and what I find works for me is simply make them want to come back to training, we run Tuesday and Thursday with games on a Sunday! Tuesday night is all small sided games, maximum participation with loads and loads of touches. One of my pet hates is old school line drills where the team get a touch of a ball every 5 minutes and standing still and coaches why they aren’t paying attention!!! Thursday we run game related practices with passing sequences with either low medium of high blocks.

We set ground rules on what the parents and players can expect from myself as a coach and what I expect from them..... one thing is no sideline coaching from parents, personally I want to develop quick thinking and problem solving players!

It’s one of the most rewarding things ( if done for the right reasons ) that you can do..... hopefully you take to it [emoji16]

That’s great, thanks for that. I’m looking forward to starting mid March with them, it’s a group of guys who didn’t make the ‘elite’ level so not so much pressure on them or myself, but it’s a good level to cut my teeth at.

I’ve also came across a very good YouTube channel called The Coaches Voice. It’s well worth checking out.

That’s great, thanks for that. I’m looking forward to starting mid March with them, it’s a group of guys who didn’t make the ‘elite’ level so not so much pressure on them or myself, but it’s a good level to cut my teeth at.

I’ve also came across a very good YouTube channel called The Coaches Voice. It’s well worth checking out.

I’ll give that a look mate cheers! Out of interest what would be the equivalent to over here?

I’ll give that a look mate cheers! Out of interest what would be the equivalent to over here?

I’m not sure what the equivalent would be as I haven’t been home for a while now. The set up is slightly different though as we don’t have any academies as such and we don’t have any full time clubs only semi-pro/amateur.