The Bass Thread

55 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

9c70e017cd7ad6c55685e29c28230f83.jpg
I saw this horror story in a cash converters

I though I should share it with people that would understand

Dafuq...?! 🤔😄

Although the initiative to force the nut out to accommodate the wrongly wound strings though is borderline admirable...I mean, who's got the time to restring twice, eh?!

🤷🏻‍♂️😄

22 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Dafuq...?! 🤔😄

Although the initiative to force the nut out to accommodate the wrongly wound strings though is borderline admirable...I mean, who's got the time to restring twice, eh?!

🤷🏻‍♂️😄

I assume the nut got forced sideways by the tension of the string

I'd picked it up to test an amp and it felt really weird under my fingers until I realised what was wrong

38 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I assume the nut got forced sideways by the tension of the string

I'd picked it up to test an amp and it felt really weird under my fingers until I realised what was wrong

Haha, aye that's more likely to be fair, but still, you'd think the staff would've clocked...or even more worrying if they accepted it in that condition when some wee gadgie dropped it off, for his daily £20...! 

• 1 month later...

I bought a Fender Dimension bass a few years ago when they were a third off at Gear4Music - I suspect the model may have since been discontinued. Active version, really nice to play, definitely the best bass I've owned.

Had a play on a friend's Hofner violin bass and it was quite fun to play. A bit like a nylon strung guitar based on how the neck feels.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my EBMM Stingray for 20 years, bought it at Sound Control on Castle Street here in Dundee after picking up an Ibanez GSR200 from someone at my school for 50quid or something 6 month previous. Was (and still am) a huge Flea fan and went through a phase of crazy slapping which hasn't finished yet, just refined! Its so easy to play and has an iconic sound. Gigged around Dundee and beyond with it during the mid 2000s regularly up till around 2014ish.

20220302_041253.thumb.jpg.36a618d497775ec6e32522fe798427ce.jpg

Bought a Lakland DJ4 from Guitar Guitar last summer, a lovely Jazz bass that sounds right growly too, a different beast altogether from the Stingray but just as awesome sounding. And stunning!

IMG-20210807-WA0000.thumb.jpg.ebb3fe42d5a852a4112bf8b7682d5664.jpg

IMG-20210807-WA0008.thumb.jpg.4ef5626d458d663b81f35cb498adeda0.jpg

Currently borrowed a 6 string fretless which is a b*****d to get used to but I'm going through a Les Claypool phase! My fingers don't know what the f**k to do or where to be!

Next purchase would be a 5 string either PBass type. A Squier cheapo most likely just to give me a low B. 

Dream bass - Modulus Funk Unlimited. Best finger style tone i think I've ever heard and is the pinnacle of that Flea Bass sound from Californication / By The Way and one he still uses live mostly. Cant get a new one for under $4k and second handers are still going for about $2k. But if I did get one custom built it would have to be an Orange Flake finish because of my United leanings of course...

FU4_OrangeFlake_WP_Front.thumb.jpg.ca44848c80902e422fcb6a5ff041516b.jpg

Also - selling an Ashdown Mag 300 and 4x10 Cab if anyone is looking to make an absolute racket? Great amp but needing rid of it tbh, need the room. Sad to see it go. Not sure if this is the place for that though?!

Spoiler

Not a McCartney / Hofner fan

• 4 months later...

Howdy lads and lassies! Sorry for kinda spamming the individual instrument threads but they are all relevant so...wee bit of a plug-time if you don't mind...

As some on the forum might know through the various instrument threads, I'm a musician, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. I've had a fair bit of time away from releasing music, but spent most of lockdown turning my loft into a studio, and I'm officially back in the saddle. I've just released a new single called Better Days that you can get on the usual streaming services at this link here - https://sng.to/bastian2 and will be releasing a brand new original single every 6 weeks. Would be amazing if you added me to your playlists on whatever platform you use, if you like what you hear!

As well as that I've also launched my Youtube channel where i'll be uploading a video weekly, music vids, covers, q&a's etc etc. Check out upload 1 below which is a lyric video for Better Days, would massively appreciate all you music loveing, bass-based legends taking a look/listen, and doing all the cliche'd like/subscribe/share/comment stuff as it's the algorithm learning who you are and whether you're worth recommending, that really makes a difference!

Lastly, please recommend me to friends/family that you think might like my stuff (even if you don't haha), as I say this is all a massive help and is the best way to support.

Cheers and I hope you enjoy!

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Does anybody know anything about DI Boxes

I thought I'd just get this because it's cheap 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-Channel-Passive-Stereo-SDI-ST/dp/B0039OVVC0

Is it worth spending more money?

Just for more info, what is it you'd be using it for in particular?

30 minutes ago, Al B said:

Just for more info, what is it you'd be using it for in particular?

We're recording some demos the studio in this week and hopefully we'll get some gigs off the back of the demos

Normally I'm playing through a Zoom B1 4 pedal
Zoom B1 Four Bass Multi Effects, Main

into a 2KW Headrush 118

HeadRush FRFR-112 Powered Cabinet

Using the pedal to do the cabinet and amp sims

If we're playing live with this band I'd take the headrush out with me and the desk could get a DI from the back of it. 

But for recording I'd rather not drag 16Kg of FRFR speaker out to the studio with me just to act as a DI Box

One of these days I'll invest in a fancier preamp/cab sim set up with it's own XLR out