Scots on the move

Josh Adam training with Wrexham.

With Deadpool and Mac at the helm, Wrexham are on the up.

If this happens, It could be the making of the lad.

Still only 20, with three years of Manchester City training under his belt.

Good for Armstrong, good luck to him. Probably more motivated by life experience than money.

If it's not the end of his international career it's probably marks the beginning of the end. So that's sad given he is one of my favourite Scotland players.

Not "on the move", but there's no Lewis Ferguson thread. So there ya go:

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/24578438.scotland-midfielder-lewis-ferguson-signs-new-deal-bologna/

Lewis Ferguson signs 5 year contract.

Cannot wait till he's fit so he can integrate himself into the squad.

Edited by Chripper

Arsenal and Nottingham Forest were among Premier League clubs who sent scouts to watch 17-year-old Ayr United right-back Dylan Watret last weekend.

(You'd think the Old Firm would scrap their failed strategy of buying crap foreigners, with the hope of being able to lay a glove on European football, and start focusing on the talent on their own doorstep. That would require a trip to see the Wizard and get a brain, though.)

Edited by Chripper

16 hours ago, Chripper said:

Arsenal and Nottingham Forest were among Premier League clubs who sent scouts to watch 17-year-old Ayr United right-back Dylan Watret last weekend.

(You'd think the Old Firm would scrap their failed strategy of buying crap foreigners, with the hope of being able to lay a glove on European football, and start focusing on the talent on their own doorstep. That would require a trip to see the Wizard and get a brain, though.)

I would much rather these kids went anywhere but the OF - neither of the OF (nor any Scottish club really) have any track record of development to point at and their fans are quick to turn on young players. Until Scottish football mandates development/young player quotas we will not see any improvement in this IMO.

My first choice though is they stay where they are until they are 18/19 and have played 100ish games, that seems to be one of the better development tools.

On 11/09/2024 at 18:19, Chripper said:

Yet at grassroots level, both hoover up young players like there's no tomorrow. Always amazes me that parents are happy for their kids to be involved when they know there's a glass ceiling for them.

55 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Yet at grassroots level, both hoover up young players like there's no tomorrow. Always amazes me that parents are happy for their kids to be involved when they know there's a glass ceiling for them.

I think because for a parent or player it is a single opportunity. They are not looking at an overall view point and seeing how many players come through. I am also sure the OF representatives sell it very well, best facilities, best coaches etc. in the country and a good chance these youngsters support one of them too. They also will point to Callum McGregor and Nathan Patterson as examples, they won't be forthcoming with the stats that show they are probably in a 1% club of players breaking through.

Also unless you are clued up in the game like the parents of Lennon Miller or the foresight of Aaron Hickey to look single mindedly at the best path to 1st team football then it is unfair to expect parents or players with a lack of knowledge to turn down such a move.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

I think because for a parent or player it is a single opportunity. They are not looking at an overall view point and seeing how many players come through. I am also sure the OF representatives sell it very well, best facilities, best coaches etc. in the country and a good chance these youngsters support one of them too. They also will point to Callum McGregor and Nathan Patterson as examples, they won't be forthcoming with the stats that show they are probably in a 1% club of players breaking through.

Also unless you are clued up in the game like the parents of Lennon Miller or the foresight of Aaron Hickey to look single mindedly at the best path to 1st team football then it is unfair to expect parents or players with a lack of knowledge to turn down such a move.

I think, (based on absolutely nothing to be fair) Celtic and Rangers is a very good place to be for your development up until the ages of around 16/17 when you want to start getting first team experience. The likes of Robertson, Greg Taylor, McLean, Lewis Morgan, Hickey all spent time in the Old Firm academies before leaving around that age. They're clearly going to have the best facilities and coaches at those two clubs, so understandable why parents would want them there. Thankfully there does seem to be an uptrend with the likes of Daniel Kelly, Robbie Ure, Rocco Vata (I know he plays for Ireland, before anyone says) trying to get out of there as soon as they can. 

On 11/09/2024 at 18:19, Chripper said:

Watret is excellent. 

It is incredibly early days but so far he can defend one v one, comfortable in possession, has a final ball, gets up and down and can go past players. He generally just makes things look very easy. 

14 minutes ago, IAmNotAWindowCleaner said:

Ryan Jack has signed for Turkish second tier side Erokspor. 

Aside from their recent 8-3 drubbing by Galatasaray, what sort of level of football are they playing? Is it good enough for him to get back into Steve Clarke’s team?!

Surely to god no

On 13/09/2024 at 14:53, Jives Miguel said:

I think, (based on absolutely nothing to be fair) Celtic and Rangers is a very good place to be for your development up until the ages of around 16/17 when you want to start getting first team experience. The likes of Robertson, Greg Taylor, McLean, Lewis Morgan, Hickey all spent time in the Old Firm academies before leaving around that age. They're clearly going to have the best facilities and coaches at those two clubs, so understandable why parents would want them there. Thankfully there does seem to be an uptrend with the likes of Daniel Kelly, Robbie Ure, Rocco Vata (I know he plays for Ireland, before anyone says) trying to get out of there as soon as they can. 

However it is very much not a good place to be from 18 to 24 when you rot on the bench

4 hours ago, IAmNotAWindowCleaner said:

Ryan Jack has signed for Turkish second tier side Erokspor. 

Aside from their recent 8-3 drubbing by Galatasaray, what sort of level of football are they playing? Is it good enough for him to get back into Steve Clarke’s team?!

Should be nowhere near a Scotland squad ever again