Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Looks like the Russians forgot to tell their own troops to move before blowing the dam. Lots of pics of Russians clinging to trees or wading chest deep. Minefields have been swept away (which means finding and clearing them is going to be difficult) and a little of equipment has been damaged or destroyed.  Overall, sounds like someone had a "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" moment. 

32 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Looks like the Russians forgot to tell their own troops to move before blowing the dam. Lots of pics of Russians clinging to trees or wading chest deep. Minefields have been swept away (which means finding and clearing them is going to be difficult) and a little of equipment has been damaged or destroyed.  Overall, sounds like someone had a "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" moment. 

Surely if the mines are set to blow up when they are stood on would they not go up when getting swept away by a massive wave not make the majority of them go off?

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

How do they know it's a tank?

It’s either than or John Goodman.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

Surely if the mines are set to blow up when they are stood on would they not go up when getting swept away by a massive wave not make the majority of them go off?

There’s several types of land mine in use here…the AP types are set off by weight (5-15kg), stabbing or movement, depending on how they were laid and protected. There’s a fair chance some of those will have detonated if swept away, but there’s also a chance some are now covered deeper than planned and thus ready to explode with very little additional weight due to the weight of the debris above them. This will also make them more difficult to locate and neutralize. The AT mines generally need 120-150 kg to trigger, although they can be armed with tilt-rod actuators that would possibly be set off if the flood washed debris over them. If not, you’re looking at a big chunk of explosive, buried deeper, harder to find, and possibly only needing a few kg of additional pressure to actuate. Those laid without the rods could have been washed nearly anywhere.

37 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There’s several types of land mine in use here…the AP types are set off by weight (5-15kg), stabbing or movement, depending on how they were laid and protected.

What kind of mad b*****d would stab an anti-tank mine? 

Spoiler

serious chuck norris GIF by hoppip

8 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

That's the cluster munitions that Russia scatters all over the place. They're designed to look like toys so most victims are children. Imagine your kid picking that up and it going off in their face.

22 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

What kind of mad b*****d would stab an anti-tank mine? 

Reveal hidden contents

serious chuck norris GIF by hoppip

It’s AP mines that are equipped this way, and it’s an anti-tamper mechanism. The use of a probe, often seen as a knife in old war movies, to find the edges of a buried mine and figure out where the fuse is is common de-mining practice…or was, until the Soviets introduced variants of the PNM series with various anti-tamper equipment. The other thing the Soviets did was change the trip/striker/pressure plate design to resist over-pressure and make it more difficult to clear mine fields. The old way was an explosive charge causing an over-pressure wave to detonate mine…the newer triggers were more resistant to that technique.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

There’s several types of land mine in use here…the AP types are set off by weight (5-15kg), stabbing or movement, depending on how they were laid and protected. There’s a fair chance some of those will have detonated if swept away, but there’s also a chance some are now covered deeper than planned and thus ready to explode with very little additional weight due to the weight of the debris above them. This will also make them more difficult to locate and neutralize. The AT mines generally need 120-150 kg to trigger, although they can be armed with tilt-rod actuators that would possibly be set off if the flood washed debris over them. If not, you’re looking at a big chunk of explosive, buried deeper, harder to find, and possibly only needing a few kg of additional pressure to actuate. Those laid without the rods could have been washed nearly anywhere.

Sounds like I'm fucked either way, my shadow is about 15 kg.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

That's the cluster munitions that Russia scatters all over the place. They're designed to look like toys so most victims are children. Imagine your kid picking that up and it going off in their face.

It's a myth they are designed to look like toys, that however doesn't take away from the fact many children have been killed and maimed by them.

The two wings of the PFM-1 allow it to glide after being released in the air, then spin, stabilizing it and slowing its descent.

Ukraine were accused of using these also.

2 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

It's a myth they are designed to look like toys, that however doesn't take away from the fact many children have been killed and maimed by them.

Ukraine were accused of using these also.

And the evaluation of those accusations by a Russian minister was that it was a malfunctioning Russian rocket that scattered them short of the target area west of Donetsk.

20 minutes ago, TxRover said:

And the evaluation of those accusations by a Russian minister was that it was a malfunctioning Russian rocket that scattered them short of the target area west of Donetsk.

I also recall something about Russians in the  Kharkiv area (Izium perhaps?) Having to deal with them after bombardment from Ukraine  controlled areas. Ukraine had millions of them apparently earmarked.for destruction.

Either way horrible things.

50 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I also recall something about Russians in the  Kharkiv area (Izium perhaps?) Having to deal with them after bombardment from Ukraine  controlled areas. Ukraine had millions of them apparently earmarked.for destruction.

Either way horrible things.

Agree…the only redeeming feature is it’s purely an explosive/shock weapon, so slightly easier to dispose of/clear.