Food boxes

scottsdad

The wife is tempted to sign up to Hello Fresh - is it any good? Seems overly expensive to me once the initial discounts stop applying. 

In the past we used to get Morrisons food boxes before they stopped them. 

Often get deliveries from Campbells Prime Meat and Falleninch Farm (their steak pie is the best I've ever had). 

What food boxes would you recommend?

We tried Hello Fresh for while during early lock down.  The quality was decent and the meal selection was pretty varied. It's not cheap though. 

That was probably main reason we stopped. Plus when things opened up we were less inclined to eat as a family round table at same time which kind of defeated purpose. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not fussed about up/down market - is it any good?

Not heard of this one.

Too good to go is a totally different thing to what you are talking about but can be quite good.

So basically you get all the stuff that otherwise would’ve been thrown out before the place closes for today. I used to use the China Buffet King one at work sometimes. You pay £5 and you have to take your own Tupperware tub and basically you just fill it up with whatever you want.

They do them for Greggs, Starbucks etc

Here are some screenshots 

DCCA19BB-7274-4481-8D09-A90D263FE529.png

B0F26E14-562C-40D3-954B-EC636CF8B192.png

If you're not fussed about the food being on or the day after the "best before" date, you get what they call a "magic bag" for about £3-£4 and the places I've used so far have been great value You don't know exactly what you're getting until you go in and pick it up, tends to be a lot of fresh fruit and veg and some bakery stuff so it makes you get creative to use it up.

Morrison's give you a banana box crammed to the brim so it's worth it for that alone. Costa and Starbucks use it as well for the pastries and cakes and whatever else coffee shops have for food, some carvery restaurants use it too. Pay for your magic bag on the app then you go and collect it during the time slot.

:)

Edit - Beaten to it, I see...

Edited by ParsJake

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

Too good to go is a totally different thing to what you are talking about but can be quite good.

So basically you get all the stuff that otherwise would’ve been thrown out before the place closes for today. I used to use the China Buffet King one at work sometimes. You pay £5 and you have to take your own Tupperware tub and basically you just fill it up with whatever you want.

They do them for Greggs, Starbucks etc

Here are some screenshots 

DCCA19BB-7274-4481-8D09-A90D263FE529.png

B0F26E14-562C-40D3-954B-EC636CF8B192.png

Cheers - had no idea this was even a thing. 

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The wife is tempted to sign up to Hello Fresh - is it any good? Seems overly expensive to me once the initial discounts stop applying. 

Often get deliveries from Campbells Prime Meat and Falleninch Farm (their steak pie is the best I've ever had). 

My daughter and her husband got Hello Fresh for a while and rated it quite highly.

Inevitably, after a bit, they got fed up and have now stopped. 

27 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's shite. You'd be better going through your fridge and wrapping individual items in brown paper.

She ordered it, not me. I could've ate the lot in one day.

She has now ordered 3 meals from them, but will cancel once these are delivered. When it starts hitting £8/9 per meal, you're better off going to Tesco and getting one of their meal deals. 

f**k knows what shite she has ordered that I'll have to cook. 

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She has now ordered 3 meals from them, but will cancel once these are delivered. When it starts hitting £8/9 per meal, you're better off going to Tesco and getting one of their meal deals. 

f**k knows what shite she has ordered that I'll have to cook. 

A Naan chicken sandwich, a chicken stew and chicken with peppercorn sauce. 

I'm going to be sick to death of chicken soon.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A Naan chicken sandwich, a chicken stew and chicken with peppercorn sauce. 

I'm going to be sick to death of chicken soon.

Sorry to break this to you but my one real negative with hellofresh is the quality of their chicken. It’s pretty rank and usually needs to be eaten first of all the meals you choose as seems to go off quickly.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We prefer Hello Fresh to Gousto. Mrs B likes the fact we can try different meals to cook, I'm less of a fan but that said we have had some nice meals.

Feast Box is another option, it's seems like it's more Asian type stuff? We've used that a few times. Again you need the discount as full price is OTT.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I use hellofresh every 2nd or 3rd week when I can’t be arsed planning out a week of meals or going to do a big shopping. Generally it’s pretty decent and they’re constantly offering discounts so it’s only usually £35-40 for me for 4 meals for 2. Fiver a head isn’t too bad.

Do you think the portions are enough?

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For me they are. My fiancé is tiny so I eat about 70% of it and she eats the rest. Sometimes I can’t finish mine.

Mine only came the other day. It might look better when cooked and presented, but I'm not optimistic.

I do realise portion control is my downfall!