Cd Problems...

McB

My PC has recently started refusing to recognise CDs - when I put one in the CD drive and double-click the icon I get a 'please insert a CD' message...

...anyone got any ideas what's wrong, or how I can fix it?

My PC has recently started refusing to recognise CDs - when I put one in the CD drive and double-click the icon I get a 'please insert a CD' message...

I can sort this for you, it's an insertion problem. I can help you with this.

You could try going into device manager and removing your CD drive. Then reboot and it should reinstall. Long shot, but might work.

Is it a DVD drive too? Do you have more than one drive? Is it just audio cds or everything?

You could try going into device manager and removing your CD drive. Then reboot and it should reinstall. Long shot, but might work.

Is it a DVD drive too? Do you have more than one drive? Is it just audio cds or everything?

A similar thing is happening on mine. The cd drive reads the first cd in after i switch it on but won't read any after that.

If i remove my cd drive, do i then just switch the pc back on and it will re-install or do i need a cd?

Er, not sure - will check when I get home. I've only got one drive, and it's only ever audio CDs I use in it.

I'll try what you suggested anyway, ta :)

Archived