Northern Ireland Football League (NIFL) 2022/23

Clockwork

Jeffrey leaves Ballymena - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65539828

If they had have won the cup I'm sure he would have stayed, but I think he's just run out of ideas at the Showgrounds.

I've posted this before, that whenever he was doing his Social Work training one of his placements was at Magherafelt Adult Centre, where my wife was then working, and her verdict was "He's a lovely man." That obviously didn't translate to the football field.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2023 at 13:42, Jacksgranda said:

Derry play in the League of Ireland, they haven't played in the Irish League for over 50 years, unfortunately.

Haha, you surely knew what I meant! I even mentioned UCD.

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed going to a League Of Ireland match, Derry also went top as well. Brandywell is a fine wee stadium, and their fans were great - good luck to them and certainly got my Irish side now.

A few I got talking to said they would love an All-Ireland league. I guess that'll never happen for a few reasons ; but how about an All-Ireland league but keep the NI team too.

Premier Intermediate League expanding from 12 to 14 teams

The NI Football League can reveal exciting new plans to expand and enhance the Premier Intermediate League for next season.

The decision was taken by the NIFL Board in consultation with both the Irish FA and the Premier Intermediate League (PIL) clubs to improve the league and add fresh impetus to the top tier of intermediate football in Northern Ireland.

The recent ongoing issues in football have allowed NIFL to grasp the opportunity to reshape the structure of the division, which will also include a brand-new title sponsor for next season.

Gerard Lawlor, NIFL Chief Executive said; “We have been having discussions with our clubs regarding the size of the structure of this league for some time, this has involved the number of games played and their involvement in various cup competitions. Following Warrenpoint Town’s licence refusal clearly preventing them from playing in the Premiership or the Championship, this provides us both the opportunity and need to increase the membership of the league.

“After positive consultation with the Irish FA and our PIL Clubs the fourteen-team league proposal, which was previously suggested by the Irish FA as their preferred model in the recent review of Intermediate football, has support from our existing PIL clubs.

“In situations like this we must work together to find solutions to issues and I’m both thankful and delighted a solution has been found to solve a number of potential longer-term issues, far and beyond Warrenpoint Town”.

From season 2023/2024, the NIFL Premier Intermediate League will consist of 14 clubs, playing 26 matches each (traditional home & away fixtures, with no split) and straight relegation of the bottom club into the fourth tier.

Following consultation, clubs will continue to play in their regional cup competitions.

Membership of the new look PIL, will consist of the following: Warrenpoint Town, the defeated team in the Championship Promotion-Relegation playoff; the remaining ten clubs from the 2022/2023 season; and two newly promoted intermediate clubs.

The two promoted clubs will be determined by the existing eligible applicants upon the conclusion of the current season across the regional intermediate leagues.

• 3 weeks later...

Crusaders draw FC Haka in some European competition. Should they win that they play Rosenborg next. Pretty crap to be honest. That's Europe nowadays. A few pound in it hopefully, but I'm old enough to remember us drawing Liverpool. Seaview was like a tin of sardines.

On 21/06/2023 at 21:24, hatchetman said:

Crusaders draw FC Haka in some European competition. Should they win that they play Rosenborg next. Pretty crap to be honest. That's Europe nowadays. A few pound in it hopefully, but I'm old enough to remember us drawing Liverpool. Seaview was like a tin of sardines.

Similarly Coleraine - Kiev Dynamo, Totttenham Hotspur, Dundee United, to name but 3.

I think we'll start a new thread for the new season.