Modern Games Like Elite

Gaz

Was browsing some old YouTube videos the other night and came across ones for Frontier: Elite 2. I used to love this back in the day. Are there any games like the modern equivalent?

I've heard brilliant things about No Man's Sky these days but haven't really touched it since the debacle of the launch.

26 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Was browsing some old YouTube videos the other night and came across ones for Frontier: Elite 2. I used to love this back in the day. Are there any games like the modern equivalent?

I've heard brilliant things about No Man's Sky these days but haven't really touched it since the debacle of the launch.

Maybe Elite Dangerous?

On 13/03/2023 at 16:52, Gaz said:

You should jump back into NMS for a go as it has improved massively and they keep adding more free content.  It’s great in VR too if you have a headset.

Elite Dangerous is good too but way more challenging and technical so it depends what you’re after.

I loved the original Elite. My claim to fame, witnessed by a mate, was taking on and beating 4 Thargoids at once. My Cobra mk III was completely tooled up with guns at every window. Made my money trafficking slaves and selling narcotics. 

Frontier came out and the physics of it was unbelievably good. The missions were brilliant (descending into an atmosphere, taking a photo of a structure and leaving). This came at the expense of the battles, which were a bit poorer. 

First Encounters was an utter dog's breakfast. Gave up quickly on that. Not tried Dangerous. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2023 at 10:29, scottsdad said:

Thanks to this thread, I bought Elite Dangerous. 

Not started playing it yet though, but probably will today.

If you’re on PC, give me a DM and we can form a wing. I tend to stick to exploring planets and jumping across the galaxy, but would be fun to have someone to do it with. We can do some space trucking missions as well! 

You can try your hand at pirate hunting, but I’m useless at combat in the game so you’ll be on your own there. 

17 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

If you’re on PC, give me a DM and we can form a wing. I tend to stick to exploring planets and jumping across the galaxy, but would be fun to have someone to do it with. We can do some space trucking missions as well! 

You can try your hand at pirate hunting, but I’m useless at combat in the game so you’ll be on your own there. 

I'm on the PS4, sorry!

I've done a few combat missions but they get a bit dull after a while. So far I've found I can kill someone really easily, or they wipe me out in 5 seconds. There is no in between of having a long battle with someone.

Been exploring, salvaging stuff, a bit of trading..

On 21/04/2023 at 09:25, scottsdad said:

I'm on the PS4, sorry!

I've done a few combat missions but they get a bit dull after a while. So far I've found I can kill someone really easily, or they wipe me out in 5 seconds. There is no in between of having a long battle with someone.

Been exploring, salvaging stuff, a bit of trading..

It is a grind bud. Until you get your ship to a 40-50ly jump level it’ll feel a bit tough exploring. Make sure you get a good fuel scoop for the size of whatever ship you have (presume sidewinder?)

I’d start off with the basic courier missions, build up some dough and upgrade your ship, go on a long journey and scan everything you can. Go a few thousand LY out of the bubble (general starting area) and come back, you’ll make millions.