A View From The Terrace - Episode 14

On 17/03/2023 at 22:05, Arch Stanton said:

Hearts-tastic again tonight, replacing Sked with Borthwick and Fowler returning. You are aware that there are fans of other clubs doing podcasts?

Personally does not bother me at all. Craig Fowler, Rob and Joel know their stuff either way. Would take this show ANY day over the usual cliched Old Firm only mentality that majority of the MSM Take. 

No show has done more for giving the rest of Scottish Football a voice than AVFTT and long may it continue.

Have you also ever considered that others who Podcasts have maybe been asked and perhaps do not want to be on TV for example? Not saying that is true but not everyone wants to be all over the TV and prefer the safety net of a Podcast.

For me AVFTT is essential part of my Football weekend and I never miss it. I especially love the films on Grass Roots and Non League, the more of this the better.

HULLO!

Edited by troopio

On 18/03/2023 at 09:55, Scary Bear said:

I really enjoyed the Gretna/Brooks Mileson section. An interesting story. Looking forward to part two.

I personally thought it was one of the worst segments that's been done

Full of errors and facts that did not happen, James Grady just making stuff up "we had to match the St Johnstone result and they won easily , it was 4-3 and certainly not easy. The gap was into double figures and not 9 points etc

the whole thing just followed the BBC line of the time of the "living the dream" painting that clown Brooks Mileson in a good light. Would they do that with Craig White?

The only good bit was finding out Mileson paid out double bonuses for wins against Saints due to what Geoff Brown had said and who was proved to be correct in the end.

Im sure i will enjoy the second part of this better but wonder how airbrushed its going to be.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

the whole thing just followed the BBC line of the time of the "living the dream" painting that clown Brooks Mileson in a good light. Would they do that with Craig White?

I suppose I did enjoy the piece itself as I’ve tried to remove any notion of Gretna taking our place in the league from my memory, but the “line of the time” hasn’t changed one iota since then - see how Sportsound referred to Cove, Queens Park, Kelty, Darvel as “ambitious clubs looking to make their way” and at no point do they mention they all have wealthy benefactors that run the club unsustainably. 

On 18/03/2023 at 22:21, Francesc Fabregas said:

Purely for time! Every second is a prisoner and even going through something as straightforward as the previous week's failed picks would mean a point gets cut from elsewhere.

Fair point, but maybe you could skip going over it "One. More. Time." and introducing the trophy every episode, in order to laugh at the previous weeks' failings instead.

I've heard a few people saying the show isn't as strong as it used to be, I disagree, it's still essential viewing. I don't mind the rotating personnel, but enjoy it more if there's at least 3 of the original 5 (including Bobby Borthwick) on the show. I definitely don't have a problem with 2 or 3 Hearts fans being involved, it's infinitely better than it would be with 2 or 3 Old Firm fans instead.

On 18/03/2023 at 09:55, Scary Bear said:

I really enjoyed the Gretna/Brooks Mileson section. An interesting story. Looking forward to part two.

I wonder what happened to all those Gretna fans? Do they still follow the reformed Gretna2008 team?

The Gretna story was certainly interesting but it was a little disappointing that, as realmadrid says below, what we got was more airbrushed "wasn't it great" reminisence rather than a wee bit more analysis of what a nonsense the whole thing always was but I suppose that's the nature of the short time they had to look at it and the fact it was mostly based on interviews with the likes of Deuchar and Grady who were major beneficiaries at the time. It all ended up coming across as something to be viewed fondly in hindsight. It wasn't.

Gretna never had any "fans" as such. They were getting crowds of a couple of hundred before Mileson, boosted slightly in their first league season by novelty visiting supports, and probably get about 100 a game now in the Lowland League. Attendances in the Mileson era were massively boosted by giving away hundreds of free tickets per week to schools in Dumfries and presumably Annan. I bitterly remember a great number of Dumfries based 'fans' who went for a couple of years off the back of winning 5-0 every week and getting free tickets and full of it about how we should support "a better club going places" rather than Queen of the South who were a joke. Those same people haven't been back to a football match since Gretna won the 1st Division. The implication that they had 20,000 fans for the Scottish Cup Final is laughable. Mileson bought thousands of tickets and gave them away, and the rest was taken up by neutrals getting a rare chance to attend a Scottish Cup Final and 'support' a media darling underdog. There were probably a thousand or so who could have named more than 2 Gretna players!

On 20/03/2023 at 16:28, realmadrid said:

I personally thought it was one of the worst segments that's been done

Full of errors and facts that did not happen, James Grady just making stuff up "we had to match the St Johnstone result and they won easily , it was 4-3 and certainly not easy. The gap was into double figures and not 9 points etc

The only good bit was finding out Mileson paid out double bonuses for wins against Saints due to what Geoff Brown had said and who was proved to be correct in the end.

Im sure i will enjoy the second part of this better but wonder how airbrushed its going to be.

Yeah, there were definitely parts in it that were nonsense. I notice Davie Irons also airbrushed out the fight between Alexander and Alan Main in the dressing room after we hammered them 3-0 down there with his "Brooks said this isn't working and suggested Rowan take a break" line.

Brooks Mileson was a bizarre character certainly. I met him a couple of times. I don't think he meant ill and maybe if his health had been better it would have been better managed in the end but there was so much nonsense spouted at the time and things done that were simply ludicrous. I did wonder if it was St Johnstone being referred to regarding "comments from another club's Chairman leading to double bonuses". Didn't think it would be us but I suspect there were probably double bonuses for QoS games also. There's no doubt the Gretna model involved them trying to kill us off to get the full support of Dumfriesshire. They invested heavily in Community Programmes in Dumfries and providing Schools coaching etc to try to pull our future support to Gretna instead. Far more so than they did in their own locality.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I've always thought the podcast should critically focus on specific eras at clubs i.e Mileson at Gretna, Keane/Massone at Livi, Morton's promotion collapse,  rather than try to launch album/book/TV review podcasts (which got scrapped eventually)

Most folk know the jist of these stories (usually from P&B), however given the amount of journalists on the podcast, and the ability to spend time on it, they'd be well-suited to it. 

They covered the Anelka era well at Raith well.