National Conference League

edinabear

1 hour ago, edinabear said:

Just listening to Thomas Brown on the Official Catch-up and it's sounding like the Conference has officially been agreed upon? I thought this was still at the very early proposal stage. Seems a strange league to shoe horn in.

If it had been agreed there would have been an official announcement by the SFA and SPFL at least, there have been no votes on it by anybody. It's just a proposal getting thrown about in semi secrecy with different spins depending on who Maxwell is talking to. It will probably be forgotten about until the next time the Lowland League vote on admitting B-teams, or if they vote on changing their rule book to make it permanent.

Edited by welshbairn

He is making it sound like a fait accompli. A lot may depend on what the LL and HL boards had the power to sign off on behalf of their leagues as part of this pyramid review. They do obtain HL vs LL playoff winner promoted automatically into the Conference, while the loser plays 2nd bottom out of ten in the conference.  Initial conference = 4 B teams, 2 Highland, and 4 Lowland depending on the outcome of the Club 42 playoff. He is talking about this change meeting the requirement to open up relegation at the bottom of the LL because now there is an automatic promotion at the other end. Talking about 3 tier 6 champions being used to help fill initial vacancies but what happens after being subject to vote by the membership. he definitely seems to think that "more ventilation" is needed.

I've listened to the start of the Conference part of the interview above and it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence about the future of Scottish football.

Is the idea that the B teams can't be promoted/relegated so stay forever in the Conference? Apologies if this has been covered somewhere already. If that's the case then it would be an even crazier set up than the current Lowland League one with only 10 teams in the league.

I think he said the conference would come under SPFL rules, so presumably that would require a 75% majority of SPFL clubs accepting a new league and members into their structure, including the B-teams?

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

He specifically said it was the only option that was viable from an SPFL approval standpoint.

Yeah, that was part of the initial leaked SFA document. What I don't understand is how the SPFL clubs wouldn't get a vote on it, especially now that Brown has clarified that the conference would come under SPFL rules, and it also obviously changes the rules on promotion and demotion.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

... has clarified that the conference would come under SPFL rules.

That isn't necessarily the same thing as part of the SPFL. The part I found most troubling was that the SPFL are working on a new set of entry requirements in addition to the SFA's review of entry level criteria. Also noteworthy that the League Two clubs were pushing for the conference to come in next season so this years's Club 42 wouldn't drop into the HL or LL if relegated.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Also noteworthy that the League Two clubs were pushing for the conference to come in next season so this years's Club 42 wouldn't drop into the HL or LL if relegated.

I'm not taking any rumours on what L2 clubs might or might not be thinking with any credibility until at least one of them talks publicly about it. All Brown said was that he "was told that....". Who by, Maxwell? 

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That isn't necessarily the same thing as part of the SPFL. The part I found most troubling was that the SPFL are working on a new set of entry requirements in addition to the SFA's review of entry level criteria. Also noteworthy that the League Two clubs were pushing for the conference to come in next season so this years's Club 42 wouldn't drop into the HL or LL if relegated.

No surprise from the SPFL, total self preservation.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm not taking any rumours on what L2 clubs might or might not be thinking with any credibility until at least one of them talks publicly about it. All Brown said was that he "was told that....". Who by, Maxwell? 

Exactly. I'd believe Brown is absolutely havering before I believe L2 are solidly behind the conference idea. 

Maybe I'm overestimating the combined wit of L2 chairmen but the conference just sounds utterly horrific and if we were relegated, I'd rather play in the Lowland League, which is also a fucking joke now that colt teams are in.

If East Fife voted for this, I'd be done with them.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I've listened to the start of the Conference part of the interview above and it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence about the future of Scottish football.

Is the idea that the B teams can't be promoted/relegated so stay forever in the Conference? Apologies if this has been covered somewhere already. If that's the case then it would be an even crazier set up than the current Lowland League one with only 10 teams in the league.

Yeah, until they have another vote in the future, pushing for the B teams to be free to move up or down the leagues as high as the championship.

20 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Exactly. I'd believe Brown is absolutely havering before I believe L2 are solidly behind the conference idea. 

Maybe I'm overestimating the combined wit of L2 chairmen but the conference just sounds utterly horrific and if we were relegated, I'd rather play in the Lowland League, which is also a fucking joke now that colt teams are in.

If East Fife voted for this, I'd be done with them.

It's baffling why any L2 club would want to play against 4 B teams in a 10 team league/36 game season, probably 4 games against each of them, sounds utterly horrific. I guess it must be the money on offer.........

What was also glaring by it's omission on that podcast, was there was no explanation/questioning as to why the LL/HL felt obligated to go along with all of this. If they turned round and told Maxwell that they were not prepared to entertain option 3 (just like the SPFL were not entertaining options 1 and 2), then it doesn't happen.

Also, are B teams immune from relegation?

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I can see B teams finishing bottom of the Conference most seasons.

There's absolutely no way anyone from the current Tier 5 down should be entertaining this nonsense. Certainly not without much more fluid promotion and relegation being in place from tier 4 to tier 5, and from this new tier 5 to LL and HL. 

You can't sign up to it with the vague promise that they'll "review it soon, honest.". 

It's a half arsed way to get round the LL's annual vote on B team participation, cementing them at that level in readiness for their attempt to allow them to be promoted higher.

It has to be rejected.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's baffling why any L2 club would want to play against 4 B teams in a 10 team league/36 game season, probably 4 games against each of them, sounds utterly horrific. I guess it must be the money on offer.........

What was also glaring by it's omission on that podcast, was there was no explanation/questioning as to why the LL/HL felt obligated to go along with all of this. If they turned round and told Maxwell that they were not prepared to entertain option 3 (just like the SPFL were not entertaining options 1 and 2), then it doesn't happen.

And on what planet would the chairman of the Lowland League approve of 3/4s of his member clubs being demoted to tier 6 at a stroke of a pen?

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's a rare instance of status quo being better than the alternative.