National Conference League

edinabear

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's baffling why any L2 club would want to play against 4 B teams in a 10 team league/36 game season, probably 4 games against each of them, sounds utterly horrific. I guess it must be the money on offer.........

What was also glaring by it's omission on that podcast, was there was no explanation/questioning as to why the LL/HL felt obligated to go along with all of this. If they turned round and told Maxwell that they were not prepared to entertain option 3 (just like the SPFL were not entertaining options 1 and 2), then it doesn't happen.

Also, are B teams immune from relegation?

That’s the problem, I think that he hinted that if the LL refused then they would have went ahead with it this Summer anyway.

Just now, Pyramid Watcher said:

That’s the problem, I think that he hinted that if the LL refused then they would have went ahead with it this Summer anyway.

With what clubs? if the LL told them not interested, then what, applications?

9 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

With what clubs? if the LL told them not interested, then what, applications?

I suspect that you would get club’s going for it and salivating at the thought of a guaranteed £40/50K. In an ideal World they would all stick together, but unfortunately we don’t live in one.

21 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I suspect that you would get club’s going for it and salivating at the thought of a guaranteed £40/50K. In an ideal World they would all stick together, but unfortunately we don’t live in one.

A parcel of rogues for a league...

1 hour ago, PELE said:

Yeah, until they have another vote in the future, pushing for the B teams to be free to move up or down the leagues as high as the championship.

A 10-team league with 4 B-teams in it who can't be promoted/relegated meaning you could have a top 4 of B teams and then 5th getting promoted to League Two or a bottom 4 of B teams and 6th getting relegated to the Lowland/Highland League? Also, a 36-game season where the clubs are playing B teams 16 times? I know there's been some awful ideas over the past few years in Scottish football but this one is even worse. What a joy for the Lowland/Highland League champions to get promoted into this dire league...

42 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So based on this season.....

Rangers B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Aberdeen B (maybe?)

Spartans

University of Stirling

Tranent Juniors

East Kilbride

Brechin City

Buckie Thistle

A 10 team league with 4 B-teams. That's a horrific league that deserves to be flushed. 😂

I hope Saints wouldn't ever be at this level but if I supported a team at risk of relegation from League 2 I'd prefer to head to the West Premier than that or the shambles of a league the Lowland is right now as well.  

B Teams add nothing to the game bar keeping the kids in bloated youth set ups happy, when they could be getting game time at proper clubs. Spectator interest is hardly making it worthwhile. 

I could just about stomach B teams in the lowland league if it came with more relation spots from the Lowland and promotion into L2 but I still think it screws well run clubs in lower tiers. 

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

It sounds like the LL and HL boards did approve this in order to get one automatic promotion and a playoff for the loser at the end of season in games between their two champions. It remains to be seen if the clubs still get a vote to ratify at upcoming AGMs.

Who knows what goes on in the Dark Tower. Do these people that are supposed to oversee our game go to any matches other than Scotland games, semis, finals and the twins.

This was meant to be about the kids and their development. It doesn't feel that is even in their thoughts at all. 

I've mentioned before that have seen decent prospects disappear off to pro youth and come back deflated and poorer than before.

What is being involved in these B Teams, where they are molly coddled,  teaching these young players is this protected, uncompetitive environment. Is it preparing them for the cut-throat world of professional football. The evidence so far suggests no.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It sounds like the LL and HL boards did approve this in order to get one automatic promotion and a playoff for the loser at the end of season in games between their two champions. It remains to be seen if the clubs still get a vote to ratify at upcoming AGMs.

I think there is some sense in the LL/HL playoff winner going automatically up to League 2. I'd like to see L2 9th place enter a playoff similar to the other SPFL leagues with 2nd places in HL/LL and the loser of the champions playoff match. Think that would be a positive change. 

It should however be matched by greater Lowland league relegation to south/east/west leagues. 

29 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's to the Conference, not SPFL2, hardly an improvement. I haven't heard anything about the HL approving the conference, Brown only said they were told about it. AFAIK nobody's approved it.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

My prediction is they'll drop it in exchange for the Lowland League changing their rulebook to permanently allowing B-teams in instead of an annual vote.

To which they should be told to bolt.

There surely cant be any legal way they can force a new league to be inserted at a mid level.

It’s actually outrageous.

Get these b teams out now.

England have a successful conference without a b team in sight.

Every other Scottish club should be stepping in to stop this with the utmost urgency.

It’s ruining the pyramid.