LINLITHGOW ROSE 23/24

GorgieRose

13 minutes ago, Marooneye said:

Good battling performance today. 

Devine was excellent and we stood up to a physical mob.

At least Albion Rovers will bring some fans next week.

Good win against a decent side. Devine was superb outside the box but panicked a bit inside.

Braves had 4 folk who paid to get in.

17 hours ago, superbigal said:

Nice ten year ago memory came up for me on PussJotter.  

Was in the home dugout for St Andrews 6 Linlithgow 0

Never stayed for the 2nd set.

Aye like nobody lay down lol

Good game - Albion Rovers never really in trouble - took friends for their 2nd Rose game - they asked where the midfield was?  Posted missing today - normally worry about powder puff defence but they did ok - 10/10 for steak and haggis pie though 

Thought I'd wait for the highlights to see what I thought I saw - yep, an unbelievably obvious and blatant handball in the box just at the end. I was so sure it was a penalty that when it wasn't given I thought I must have got it wrong. No, it's exactly what I thought, the defender reaches his left arm out across his body and blocks the shot with his forearm. It's *right* in front of the referee too.

The highlights didn't show the barge in the back that looked like a penalty earlier on.

Those two incidents aside, Rose's failure to turn control, and eventually dominance, into clear-cut chances did for us. Ogilvie, McMullen (then Simpson) and Allan imposed themselves in the midfield - to the fella above, that's where Albion Rovers' midfield went, they were up against three better players. If you take the officiating out of it Albion Rovers deserved their win because they defended well and took the one chance they needed - though a couple of their guys could have cost their team the win through failing to capitalise on breakaways and put the game to bed.

One of the stand-out differences I've noticed between the Lowland League and the East of Scotland Premier is the refereeing is notably worse. I don't know why that would be, I know the LL has a higher category of ref so maybe they're the worst of the refs that want to be John Beaton. There are refs doing North Juniors Championship and North Caley games on their own that are better than the standard LL ref. Whenever there is physical contact between players they just give a free kick to the first one that hits the ground.

I hate coming away from a game complaining about the ref but that was an absolute howler that means Albion Rovers are 2 points behind us instead of 5. 

As you know, I normally keep my mouth shut and just post the highlights. 🙂

Two things - firstly, a huge shout out to the Albion Rovers fans who travelled in numbers and were a credit to their team. 

Secondly - the handball at the end was a penalty all day long, to the point where I had to check last night to see if they'd changed the laws of the game again.

HTG!

20 hours ago, GordonS said:

Thought I'd wait for the highlights to see what I thought I saw - yep, an unbelievably obvious and blatant handball in the box just at the end. I was so sure it was a penalty that when it wasn't given I thought I must have got it wrong. No, it's exactly what I thought, the defender reaches his left arm out across his body and blocks the shot with his forearm. It's *right* in front of the referee too.

The highlights didn't show the barge in the back that looked like a penalty earlier on.

Those two incidents aside, Rose's failure to turn control, and eventually dominance, into clear-cut chances did for us. Ogilvie, McMullen (then Simpson) and Allan imposed themselves in the midfield - to the fella above, that's where Albion Rovers' midfield went, they were up against three better players. If you take the officiating out of it Albion Rovers deserved their win because they defended well and took the one chance they needed - though a couple of their guys could have cost their team the win through failing to capitalise on breakaways and put the game to bed.

One of the stand-out differences I've noticed between the Lowland League and the East of Scotland Premier is the refereeing is notably worse. I don't know why that would be, I know the LL has a higher category of ref so maybe they're the worst of the refs that want to be John Beaton. There are refs doing North Juniors Championship and North Caley games on their own that are better than the standard LL ref. Whenever there is physical contact between players they just give a free kick to the first one that hits the ground.

I hate coming away from a game complaining about the ref but that was an absolute howler that means Albion Rovers are 2 points behind us instead of 5. 

Ref then comes into club for after match munchies, rub our noses in it

1 hour ago, GorgieRose said:

Ref then comes into club for after match munchies, rub our noses in it

@UpInTheStand could have brought his camera in and shown him the incident.

I have a ton of respect for referees, most are doing their best. I hate the abuse they get from players and coaches. Everyone makes mistakes and none of the mistakes the ref made on Saturday were as bad as those by some of the players (looking at you, Joseph).

That said, my moan was because refereeing in Scotland is one of those professions in which they seem to get more incompetent as you go up. It happens in some workplaces because gits promote gits. This season I've seen refs without linos at Royal Albert, Larkhall, Aberdeen East End and elsewhere genuinely put in better performances than you regularly see in the Premiership. There are loads of exceptions but lower down the pyramid they tend to have a better feel for the game, a much better idea of the kind of physical contact that should and shouldn't put an opponent down and show more respect to players. 

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

@UpInTheStand could have brought his camera in and shown him the incident.

I have a ton of respect for referees, most are doing their best. I hate the abuse they get from players and coaches. Everyone makes mistakes and none of the mistakes the ref made on Saturday were as bad as those by some of the players (looking at you, Joseph).

That said, my moan was because refereeing in Scotland is one of those professions in which they seem to get more incompetent as you go up. It happens in some workplaces because gits promote gits. This season I've seen refs without linos at Royal Albert, Larkhall, Aberdeen East End and elsewhere genuinely put in better performances than you regularly see in the Premiership. There are loads of exceptions but lower down the pyramid they tend to have a better feel for the game, a much better idea of the kind of physical contact that should and shouldn't put an opponent down and show more respect to players. 

What role do the linos bring to a game at LL level. Terracing side lino must have seen the handball at the end. So are they just there for the obvious ball out for throw ins and offsides .

Brilliant day out at Linlithgow on Saturday. Welcomed with open arms, not many social clubs you can get lost and struggle to get a seat and they have three large rooms. What a Brilliant set up. Ground and pitch superb. Great to visit a football club with history and not a football team with no fans. Bar area was still full when we left at 6.30 ish. Lovely pubs on the Main trek to the station also. ( forgot to mention the awesome soup and pie - delicious ! ). 

Rovers battled away and I thought our three 1 on 1 missed chances had cost us when we blatantly handled the ball in the box at the end - ref was right in front of it !  100% a pen. See you next season! 

Edited by teekasule

On 04/03/2024 at 09:52, teekasule said:

Brilliant day out at Linlithgow on Saturday. Welcomed with open arms, not many social clubs you can get lost and struggle to get a seat and they have three large rooms. What a Brilliant set up. Ground and pitch superb. Great to visit a football club with history and not a football team with no fans. Bar area was still full when we left at 6.30 ish. Lovely pubs on the Main trek to the station also. ( forgot to mention the awesome soup and pie - delicious ! ). 

Rovers battled away and I thought our three 1 on 1 missed chances had cost us when we blatantly handled the ball in the box at the end - ref was right in front of it !  100% a pen. See you next season! 

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Whilst not there on Saturday, games with 2 decent set of supporters in attendance, will always make for a good day.

Unfortunately as you say this scenario is unusual rather than the norm - far to many teams in LL with no support or history and such games the atmosphere often feels similar to a friendly opposed to a competitive fixture.

On 04/03/2024 at 09:52, teekasule said:

Great to hear.

Enjoyed my visit to Cliftonhill minus the result in the reverse fixture.

Bide your time. There’s plenty other clubs on their way to this league that are like us. It’ll just take a few seasons for it to iron out.

Save the bottom three I don’t think there’s much in it at the moment and when the larger EOS and WOS clubs replace them. Anyone could go down from this league with a bad season.

Going to be excellent in 4 or 5 years I reckon!