Stirling Albion Season 24/25 Thread

We can't fill our bench today which worries me, we have loaned out Simpson and Godwin to Bo'ness and Arthurlie which will be great for them but I can't understand the logic if we can't fill the subs bench. 

Surely at the very least, filling the bench with youth players is better than having empty spaces on the subs bench? 

We aren't the only club who does this so I'm assuming there is some sort of logic to it that I'm not understanding  - what is the benefit in having empty bench spaces over filling them with your best youth players?

10 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I’m of the opinion that youngsters have more benefit going out on loan playing, rather than sitting on a bench, so I would prefer the lads were out doing that.

Yeah for our best youngsters, I agree but once they go on loan like they have now, I assume we still have a full under 20 squad - what's the harm in using them for the bench? As I mentioned, I cant see the benefit in ever not using the empty spots on the bench

8 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Yeah for our best youngsters, I agree but once they go on loan like they have now, I assume we still have a full under 20 squad - what's the harm in using them for the bench? As I mentioned, I cant see the benefit in ever not using the empty spots on the bench

The Development Squad play on a Friday night (in-fact we beat Cumbernauld Colts last night) so possibly to do with availability and/or recuperation from that? I do get your point though mate, and do agree, I’m simply trying to think along the lines of Darren Young really.

My tuppence. I'm all for the guys going out on loan. Most look like they could do with it.

I think if any of the remainder were worthy of a place on the bench then they'd be there.

The half empty bench is concerning though. I thought the squad was thin to start the season and just a few injuries are resulting in lots of players playing out of position.

Even if we get a couple of loans in they will take time to integrate. Let's hope we get some injured players back quickly.

Watching Darren Young's after match interview last night and it broke that Paul McLean's absence was due to a burst appendix during the evening. Obviously goes without saying that I hope Pabs is ok, but despite us doing well without him on Saturday, and with Jojo hobbling off as well, it could be a long 3-4 weeks without him.

Heard a few rumblings at the end of last season that Pabs would struggle to cut it in League 1 these days, but the early season form show's that he is still our best Centre Back, so hopefully he doesn't miss too many games.

Still no sign of any loans incoming.

I was disappointed in the summer that the defence wasn't strengthened at all.  I thought we needed at least one signing. In an ideal world that would probably have been  a left sided centre half who could cover left back.

Now it's really going to bite us.

I thought based on last season that Darren Young deserved a bit more backing.

Hopefully we can get a couple of loans in to strengthen and everyone recovers quickly.

Especially Pabs.. I had the same thing when I was 12 and I'm sure the recovery was a lot easier at that age. I remember playing football a week later when i shouldn't have been and pulling one of my stitches.

WattersIsGod is right, the players being brought in have to improve the squad, for too long we've brought in a number of players on loan that simply added nothing but numbers. We really need someone to make the impact that Kai Fotheringham, Callumn Morrison or Mason Hancock did when they came in. I'd like to think that DY has his eye on a player or has had assurances that someone will come in and is simply having to be patient. Maybe the player is coming from a side that is still active in the transfer market and will not allow a youngster to go out until someone else is brought in.

It's something DY has been mentioning in his interviews since the League Cup kicked off, so there's obviously something going on in the back ground, we probably just have to be patient and make do with players filling in until something happens

I hope you are right.

I was really happy with the 2 signings we did make..quality over quantity. Adding a couple of guys that had already played at a higher level. I wanted a similar defensive signing and because I'm greedy, probably another central midfielder too.

I have nightmares thinking about what would happen if Banner and Davidson were both out at the same time.

Fingers crossed.

Hopefully they can rejig and hang on until the reinforcements arrive and hopefully Geeks is back before too long as well.

3 wins out of 4 in the league is a great start to the season at least.

On the positive side, getting promotion to league 1 should make us a more attractive proposition for a loan.  The manager  is  aware  we have a problem in defensive numbers and is actively looking for options. Starting off pretty well won't have hurt Darren's negotiation position either. That's the good bit. 

On the negative side, the numbers of promising young players getting released or loaned out from higher divisions seems to drop year on year.  Clubs seem to be putting off loaning players out longer than before.  Lower league clubs are generally screaming out for loan options that just aren't there yet.  That's the bad bit.  It's a big bit.  

Fingers crossed some good loan options start to appear soon.

Brian Hamilton our new 'chairman' has now been in the role for over 5 months now I believe and still not heard a single word from him about anything. It's bordering on bizarre at this point. 

He allegedly had a meeting with  supporters planned in for Saturday gone?

Supporters are talking about what's going on behind the scenes. Rumblings and rumours are starting to surface. To me at the moment, that's all they are but their comes a point with the silence that you start to believe them.

There is some great great stuff happening behind the scenes and on the park. Whilst that helps tolerance levels a great deal, it doesn't mean certain things shouldn't be addressed.

It's always going to be a risk relying on loan players.

Waiting this long means no guaruntee of getting what you want or need.

You also have the other scenario where the better they are,the greater chance they'll be recalled..

Now we're in a situation where a few injuries cause a real crisis.

I think we were pretty lucky with injuries last year and maybe its brought on a false sense of security.

I agree it's slightly weird the continual silence. Seems to have been a pattern for months and months.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Supporters are talking about what's going on behind the scenes. Rumblings and rumours are starting to surface. To me at the moment, that's all they are but there comes a point with the silence that you start to believe them.

Interesting Quentin Taranbino as I’ve not heard any rumblings and/or rumours however I do have some concerns myself which are starting to grow.

It’s disappointing that it’s been radio silence from Hamilton, especially when he is new in the role, but also when things are going well. I believe Niall Marshall has also been replaced and again, nothing, it just seems to be the way of it with the new set up, say nothing, and it’s disappointing, especially when fan engagement is as high and the Supporters Trust promised better communication.

We did receive an IT update about two months ago from Robert Clubb and we received a community update a few weeks ago from Jim but again nothing from our chairman.....I'm not wholly convinced he is still there.

Even the announcement the other week about Christine Curtis being appointed general manager, the directors quote was from Alasdair Dunn rather than the chairman.

It probably reads that I'm coming across as a Brian Hamilton hater but far from it, I literally know zero about the guy, what he is doing, what he is trying to do, why he is a good fit for the role, what experience he has or anything. It may well be he is doing amazing things at the club, but he should tell us about them now and again.

I am not a supporter that's involved 'behind the scenes' or chat to anyone involved in running the club. Just a regular fan that has no idea what's going on or who is actually running the club. 

Looking at the who's who on the website, I suspect it hasn't been updated since Stuart Brown and co left

https://www.stirlingalbionfc.co.uk/club-info/

It literally doesn't even have our club board detailed on there. Whilst I appreciate a new website is being developed, surely something as important as that page takes 5 minutes tops to update by the person in the know.

I hate picking up on what must seem like trivial stuff to those at the club, but with no news or updates forthcoming, we are left to speculate.

12 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Brian Hamilton our new 'chairman'

He's not Chairman, he's Football Operations Director, according to the announcement of his appointment. 

It's still disappointing not to have heard anything at all from him though.

On 29/08/2023 at 22:18, WattersIsGod said:

Still no sign of any loans incoming.

Always going to be unlikely while clubs in the Premiership and Championship are still finalising their squads. Should be easier once the transfer window is shut. Unfortunately, this is likely to come too soon for Saturday.