Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be honest I thought McGinn knew exactly what he was doing. I'd have booked him for it. I didn't have an issue with any of the bookings we got. Tierney's came from a free kick that wasn't even a foul but he got the booking for dissent, not the incorrectly awarded foul (of course there is no dissent if the ref doesn't call the foul wrong, I accept that's hair splitting). Porteous was booked for the penalty, which was a bit soft I suppose but once he gives it he's always giving a booking. There's an argument it should have been red. He's certainly not making an effort at the ball. Hendry wrestling Haaland on halfway was a stonewall booking. He's lucky he didn't get one for pulling his arm on the edge of the box too.

I was more irritated that 2 or 3 Norwegians were not booked for similar offences. There was one not long after McGinn's, I forget who by, which was similar and should have seen yellow. McGinn clearly went to the ref to query why it wasn't. Haaland should have got one for barging into Hickey late on. Dykes got battered off the ball a couple of times when advantage was played and no action was taken. Odegaard produced a show of dissent late on that was more obvious than Tierney's and got no action taken either.

Yeah - there was definitely a lack of consistency. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Hendry one on the half-way line was never more than a booking.  Haaland probably did us a favour making absolutely no attempt to go for the ball, and as soon as he'd turned Hendry he was reversing himself to make sure Hendry had little choice about what to do.  Clear booking, but no more than that.  The second one was right as well, I think, although again Haaland probably did us a slight favour by not going down (unlike later) and giving the referee a chance to doubt himself.  The fact that even as his teammates were complaining he didn't seem bothered suggested there wasn't much in it.

On 18/06/2023 at 11:39, accies1874 said:

Just caught up with this thread from just before Dykes' goal went in. Terrific read.

Those were the most brutal conditions I've ever watched a game in, but it was all worth it in the end (and remarkably no sunburn). 

20230617_195553.jpg

Does anyone know of the condition of the Scotland fan who was just to the right of the goal in the block before the segregation, who it looked like had a seizure at full time. It took a long time to get any help at all as they stewards had all gone down the front and i think they thought everyone was just celebrating. 

It was up there with a game i watched in Volgograd in 2018 as the warmest ive ever been at a game. Our pictures at full time make it look like we have played 90 minutes.

24 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Does anyone know of the condition of the Scotland fan who was just to the right of the goal in the block before the segregation, who it looked like had a seizure at full time. It took a long time to get any help at all as they stewards had all gone down the front and i think they thought everyone was just celebrating. 

It was up there with a game i watched in Volgograd in 2018 as the warmest ive ever been at a game. Our pictures at full time make it look like we have played 90 minutes.

Yeah he came around after he got medical attention. Really lucky that there was a doctor Scotland fan nearby and his mate was with him to let folk know his condition. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2023 at 21:55, Cptn Hooch said:

I think we need to get used to the fact that under Steve Clark we're quite often going to be seeing hard to watch performances but we should see better results than under previous managers. He's not famed for playing expansive tiki taka football but what he will do is have us organised and effective, which is exactly what we saw against Norway

I think we have the players to play expansive tiki taka football , if required.

and e.g. Hendry as well as Tierney can bring it out from the back

We're quite decent on the ball in my opinion and have shown that in periods of all our EC qualification games. I think it's a strength that we've a few different approaches we can use in games.

I think there's an element of what players are available, for example, if Che Adams had been available for more games we might have seen tweaks to our approach - but if we have Lyndon Dykes on the pitch then it makes sense to take advantage of his physical and aerial strength.  

Edited by 2426255

On 18/06/2023 at 22:42, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's the one.

The type of thing that should never be a penalty of course, but often is these days.  It was certainly worth a shout and a check.  I think the fact that it reared up off his knee was decisive.

I promise you though, that loads of the posters on here would adopt a completely opposite view to that they've taken, if it happened at the other end.  It's amazing that some can't see or accept that.

We would definitely claimed for it !