Northern Ireland Football League 2023/24

3 minutes ago, centralTon said:

Will definitely be back, probably go to see a different team. maybe even meet up with your good self (a fellow Everton supporter) and possibly @hatchetman. Still can't believe that our flights and match tickets were cheaper than trains and match tickets for Cappielow. 

I don't get out much or travel too far as I'm not really able, and I'm certainly not capable of walking too far, but never say never.

You could probably meet @hatchetman in Glasgow, as he seems to be over there more often than he's here!

21 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't get out much or travel too far as I'm not really able, and I'm certainly not capable of walking too far, but never say never.

You could probably meet @hatchetman in Glasgow, as he seems to be over there more often than he's here!

AW! Shame about that, but will be back at some point.

Our daughter lives in Ayrshire and we have a hut in her back garden. As we are retired we can run back and forth as the mood/ money takes us. I've been a Thistle fan since primary school. (Picked Thistle just to not follow the other two) It's great to be able to go to Firhill so often. I also travel to handy away games. Somerset Park, Airdrie and of course Cappielow. I was there in early September but I expect CentralTon has blanked that one. When Thistle are away I go to games in the WOSFL. I was never a great neutral at matches but age and a desire not to spend Saturday afternoons in the pub have changed that. Be happy to accompany CentralTon to Seaview.  I hope you keep well Jacks. Keep contributing as this is obviously a circumstance where the internet is a force for good.

25 minutes ago, hatchetman said:

Our daughter lives in Ayrshire and we have a hut in her back garden. As we are retired we can run back and forth as the mood/ money takes us. I've been a Thistle fan since primary school. (Picked Thistle just to not follow the other two) It's great to be able to go to Firhill so often. I also travel to handy away games. Somerset Park, Airdrie and of course Cappielow. I was there in early September but I expect CentralTon has blanked that one. When Thistle are away I go to games in the WOSFL. I was never a great neutral at matches but age and a desire not to spend Saturday afternoons in the pub have changed that. Be happy to accompany CentralTon to Seaview.  I hope you keep well Jacks. Keep contributing as this is obviously a circumstance where the internet is a force for good.

That was really interesting, I often wondered about your back and forth from NI to Scotland, I had assumed it was work related! :lol:

Larne win the County Antrim Shield for the fourth year in a row, beating Glentoran 2-1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68072561

Watched the first half before going to bed as I was dead beat, thought the Glens were more dangerous, but said to myself Larne are going to go up the park and score, which they did about 10 minutes before the break.

Bit of a turnaround for Larne this last 6 years, 7 senior trophies won compared with 2 in the previous 129 (albeit Larne were B division up to 1972).

Last minute winner for Cliftonville at Carrick courtesy of a controversial free kick. Cruel on Carrick. A draw would have been fairer. Keeps Cliftonville in the title hunt.

Larne also won, 3-0 against Newry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68109105

Goals - Carrick v Reds  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68114503

Larne v Newry  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68114501

Son and I looking to go to a Crusaders game in the play offs as we had such a good time in Belfast last weekend. Obviously dependant on how or who Morton are playing on said Saturday.

Dungannon Swifts opened up the title race by beating Linfield 2-1 at the International Windsor Park Arena.

Top Linfield P 27 Pts 65, second Larne P 27 Pts 64, third Cliftonville P 26 Pts 60. Glentoran are fourth but so far behind it would take the top three losing all their remaining games (an impossibility) and Glentoran winning all theirs for them to take the title.

Tenth Dungannon Swifts P 27 pts 27, eleventh Ballymena P 27 Pts 18 and bottom Newry P 26 Pts 12.

In other news, there was a blue moon spotted as Coleraine beat Glenavon 1-0.

Glentoran beat Crusaders, as noted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68118206

4 hours ago, centralTon said:

Son and I looking to go to a Crusaders game in the play offs as we had such a good time in Belfast last weekend. Obviously dependant on how or who Morton are playing on said Saturday.

If I'm home I'd love to meet up, although we're poor at the moment.

10 hours ago, hatchetman said:

If I'm home I'd love to meet up, although we're poor at the moment.

At first read I thought you were talking about your financial situation! :lol:

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

At first read I thought you were talking about your financial situation! :lol:

Crusaders are poor (football wise) intermittently. I'm poor (financially) permanently.

Baxter quitting at end of the season. What do you think @hatchetman ? Had his time come?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68192743

I always liked him, thought he was a good manager and he came across well when being interviewed.

Irish Cup weekend, Coleraine not involved, so I'll maybe not bother...

Glentoran got things off to a goal laden start with a 6-1 romp at Ballymacash Rangers. Watched the first 15 minutes before switching over to AFCoN, thought the Glens looked a bit nervy but they scored after 9 minutes and after that it would appear they never looked back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68185751

Stephen Baxter has brought unimagined success to Crusaders. We were relegated in his first half season (which we had flirted with in the two previous seasons). That season playing at the second level was great fun. Winning trophies and visiting places I'd never heard of. After promotion it took a couple of seasons to find our feet, and we've never looked back. League titles, cups, European wins and a glorious All Ireland Cup. At the same time, whether by luck or planning, a well organised board came together, and the off the pitch basket case that was, wasn't. Seaview is a very tidy Irish League ground. Stephen Baxter is not universally popular. What manager is. He can buy and discard players without (in my opinion) giving them a real chance. His late/never substitutions used to frustrate me no end. He can be abrasive and of course, opposing fans dislike him immensely. I on the other hand, have nothing but respect for the job he has done. I've never passed two words with him and don't expect to, but if I had a Christmas Card list, he'd be top. Seaview won't be the same. Good luck to the punter following him.

4 championship teams in the quarter finals, with the right draw they could have 2 teams in the semis!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68194470

Newington and Ballyclare Comrades defeated Newry City and Dungannon Swifts respectively away from home, and in the battle of the championship sides, last round's giant killers Ards were put out by Institute. Portadown beat Bangor.

Larne thrashed Glenavon, Cliftonville crushed Loughgall and Linfield got past Ballymena.