Football fans views on the 'ethical managment' of the Qatar World Cup 2022

My name is Andrew McIvor, and I am a postgraduate student in Sport Management at the University of Stirling. I would be extremely grateful for your assistance with my research project. The purpose of this project is to investigate how perceptions of “ethical management” of the 2022 FIFA World Cup can explain perceptions of soft empowerment/disempowerment of Qatar and the mega sporting event. 

As highly engaged football fans, your perspectives on this topic would be extremely valuable to my study due to your knowledge and interest in football. The study will involve completing a web-based survey that will take approximately 8 minutes to complete. The link to the survey is provided below.

https://stirling.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/qatar-soft-power

The questionnaire is split into two different sections, one on ethical management and the other on soft power. The questions on ethical management are divided into three dimensions: human rights observance, labor conditions, and environmental responsibility. The soft power section is split into affective and normative soft power of Qatar. The data collected from this study will help to shed light on the relationship between Qatar’s ethical and human right concerns and how this affects the potential for soft power. 

Thank you very much for your consideration and I look forward to investigating any responses given. If you have any further questions or concerns my email address is given at the start of the survey. 

22 minutes ago, AndrewMcIvor said:

The purpose of this project is to investigate how perceptions of “ethical management” of the 2022 FIFA World Cup can explain perceptions of soft empowerment/disempowerment of Qatar and the mega sporting event. 

Is entitling this "Scottish Premiership Fans views on the unethical Qatar World Cup 2022" not creating a quite significant bias regarding your survey?!

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Is entitling this "Scottish Premiership Fans views on the unethical Qatar World Cup 2022" not creating a quite significant bias regarding your survey?!

This is not the title of my survey. I am looking to gather responses from all football fans. So this title is simply made up to accomodate for the thread in which it is placed under. The title for my research project is: 

"To investigate how perceptions of “ethical management” of the 2022 FIFA World Cup can explain perceptions of soft empowerment/disempowerment of Qatar and the mega sporting event".

2 minutes ago, AndrewMcIvor said:

This is not the title of my survey. I am looking to gather responses from all football fans. So this title is simply made up to accomodate for the thread in which it is placed under. The title for my research project is: 

"To investigate how perceptions of “ethical management” of the 2022 FIFA World Cup can explain perceptions of soft empowerment/disempowerment of Qatar and the mega sporting event".

The thread title that you've simply made up to 'accomodate' for the thread in which your survey is in, which is titled something else, is creating a somewhat significant bias, then.

21 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The thread title that you've simply made up to 'accomodate' for the thread in which your survey is in, which is titled something else, is creating a somewhat significant bias, then.

I appreciate the critiscm and will take it on board. Without going into too much detail on the study, I have decided to target certain leagues in order to reach a more fair population of football fans. Just so you do not think I have solely focused on a Scottish Premiership fan forum. 

4 minutes ago, AndrewMcIvor said:

I appreciate the critiscm and will take it on board. Without going into too much detail on the study, I have decided to target certain leagues in order to reach a more fair population of football fans. Just so you do not think I have solely focused on a Scottish Premiership fan forum. 

Would definitely say to take the “unethical” out. You’ve basically guided us towards the answer you want with that word included.

• AndrewMcIvor changed the title to Football fans views on the 'ethical managment' of the Qatar World Cup 2022
13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Would definitely say to take the “unethical” out. You’ve basically guided us towards the answer you want with that word included.

I realise what I did now and have changed it haha, thanks for the help! 

16 hours ago, AndrewMcIvor said:

My name is Andrew McIvor, and I am a postgraduate student in Sport Management at the University of Stirling. I would be extremely grateful for your assistance with my research project. The purpose of this project is to investigate how perceptions of “ethical management” of the 2022 FIFA World Cup can explain perceptions of soft empowerment/disempowerment of Qatar and the mega sporting event. 

As highly engaged football fans, your perspectives on this topic would be extremely valuable to my study due to your knowledge and interest in football. The study will involve completing a web-based survey that will take approximately 8 minutes to complete. The link to the survey is provided below.

https://stirling.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/qatar-soft-power

The questionnaire is split into two different sections, one on ethical management and the other on soft power. The questions on ethical management are divided into three dimensions: human rights observance, labor conditions, and environmental responsibility. The soft power section is split into affective and normative soft power of Qatar. The data collected from this study will help to shed light on the relationship between Qatar’s ethical and human right concerns and how this affects the potential for soft power. 

Thank you very much for your consideration and I look forward to investigating any responses given. If you have any further questions or concerns my email address is given at the start of the survey. 

I've actually given proper answers to this because it's an interesting topic. 

3 comments, intended to be constructive. 

I assume you've thought about this but none of the questions suggest that you're taking into account or disentangling any other ways that Qatar may have influenced people. For example I regularly watch Al Jazeera, have had professional dealings with some of the state backed investment funds and am well aware from other (not al jazeera) news sources of their outward looking interventionism in ME balances of power. How can you link any perception i have if them to a football tournament? 

It's labour, not labor. 

If i was you i'd save the affective/normative, disempowerment and dimensions jargon for the thesis and use normal language while communicating with anyone outside academia or management consultancy. 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I've actually given proper answers to this because it's an interesting topic. 

3 comments, intended to be constructive. 

I assume you've thought about this but none of the questions suggest that you're taking into account or disentangling any other ways that Qatar may have influenced people. For example I regularly watch Al Jazeera, have had professional dealings with some of the state backed investment funds and am well aware from other (not al jazeera) news sources of their outward looking interventionism in ME balances of power. How can you link any perception i have if them to a football tournament? 

It's labour, not labor. 

If i was you i'd save the affective/normative, disempowerment and dimensions jargon for the thesis and use normal language while communicating with anyone outside academia or management consultancy. 

I find your first point really interesting and have covered some of these points of view in my literature. I have extremely limited words available for this project and that is why the survey focuses on only a few areas of the topic.  I will definately look to expand on this significant factor in my reasoning. 

Yeh for sure the wording is a little technical for the survey. I wanted to keep the wording consistent throughout. 

Thanks for your comments and I will take them onboard. 

Appreciate you helping me out aswell in your response to the survey. 

20 hours ago, AndrewMcIvor said:

I appreciate the critiscm and will take it on board.

My criticism is that this is your first post, you've made no attempt to engage in the many ongoing threads about the topic, even to the point you post this in the forum for the Premiership, you didn't even take the time to find the right place to post it. If you want to rely on a community to help you with your education, and I fully applaud you doing that, perhaps take time and wonder if you are here just to take or here to participate.

** Edit: I checked, and you did start an identical thread in the Misc Football Forum, which I would presume is the right place, so I am perhaps being a little unfair there, but why post another one in this part of the forum?

Feel I am being harsh on you? Don't be, you are just one of many who sign up, ask people to take a survey, ignore the wealth of data already posted about the subject in already written forum posts, then are never heard from again.

There is also the whole question of these sorts of anonymous surveys, simply due to bias sampling, notoriously leading questions and lack of trust, being genuinely worthy for any dissertation, but that's for you and any tutor/professor you have.

All that said, Stirling Uni is my alma mater, and I do wish you all the best with your studies. I am certainly not stopping others participating.

Edited by Ric

32 minutes ago, Ric said:

My criticism is that this is your first post, you've made no attempt to engage in the many ongoing threads about the topic, even to the point you post this in the forum for the Premiership, you didn't even take the time to find the right place to post it. If you want to rely on a community to help you with your education, and I fully applaud you doing that, perhaps take time and wonder if you are here just to take or here to participate.

** Edit: I checked, and you did start an identical thread in the Misc Football Forum, which I would presume is the right place, so I am perhaps being a little unfair there, but why post another one in this part of the forum?

Feel I am being harsh on you? Don't be, you are just one of many who sign up, ask people to take a survey, ignore the wealth of data already posted about the subject in already written forum posts, then are never heard from again.

There is also the whole question of these sorts of anonymous surveys, simply due to bias sampling, notoriously leading questions and lack of trust, being genuinely worthy for any dissertation, but that's for you and any tutor/professor you have.

All that said, Stirling Uni is my alma mater, and I do wish you all the best with your studies. I am certainly not stopping others participating.

Thank you for your feedback and criticism. I understand your concerns about my first post and the lack of engagement in ongoing threads. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by posting in two different forums. I have been using other fan forums to target specific leagues across the UK to gather a more fair perception of the targeted population. So, this is why you just see the Scottish Premiership and don't understand the need for it. 

Regarding your comment about individuals signing up, asking for surveys, and never being heard from again, I assure you that I am genuinely invested in my research and value the contributions of fans. I apologize if my initial post gave the impression of a lack of commitment or disregard for existing discussions and I do plan to use this platform more going foward as I've had my eyes opened to how interesting it is. 

I acknowledge your point about anonymous surveys and the potential issues with bias sampling and leading questions. It's a valid concern, and I have taken measures to minimize these issues in my research design.

Lastly, I appreciate your well wishes and support for my studies. Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.