Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

Drawn V Crusaders or Rosenborg.  Hearts beat Crusaders 10 years ago at the Oval (Glentoran's ground) during our administration period (Ryan Stevenson and Jamie Hamill scored). Ironically the same day Hibernian lost 0-7 at Easter Road to Malmo. 

Rosenborg will be heavy favourites but a trip to Norway (Valerenga were beaten back in the "black & white tele days) will at least let some fans pay homage to the mighty Roald "Knicksen" Jensen if they go via Bergen as his statue is there outside SK Brann's ground. One of the best players I saw while growing up and Norway's greatest ever player at that time.

We'll need to play well to qualify but time will tell....

Watched the extra time there. Rosenborg looked tidy on the ball and dangerous going forward but gave up chances at the other end and seemed to struggle with Crusaders' physicality. We don't exactly have a team of brutes at the moment, though.

9 hours ago, DC92 said:

Watched the extra time there. Rosenborg looked tidy on the ball and dangerous going forward but gave up chances at the other end and seemed to struggle with Crusaders' physicality. We don't exactly have a team of brutes at the moment, though.

BiG phYsIcAL Hertz!

4 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Can I be the first to ask - how much is a pint in Norway these days?

Around £10 in Oslo when over with Scotland which was less than in Trondheim with Saints in 2013.

Our fans contacted the pubs in the city for a base and the "Three Lions" reduced the prices for us, there is a Scottish bar close to that which if i remember right is called "The Thistle" but they were about £2 more per pint and only a few of our fans who would not go in the Three Lions due to its name went there.

The stadium is ok and has been done a bit on the cheap with pillars and until game day when all the shops have flags out you wont know you are in a city with a team playing in Europe.

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I have not a Scooby how that draw was made. All the other groupings it seemed to be pre-ordained if you were in a group you'd be pitted against a particular team from another drawn group, but ours was team by team??!

4 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I have not a Scooby how that draw was made. All the other groupings it seemed to be pre-ordained if you were in a group you'd be pitted against a particular team from another drawn group, but ours was team by team??!

Groups 1-3 had only 8 teams but Group 4 (ours) had 10. When (say) No6 comes out it is the team with that number in the first 3 groups.

With our group they actually could have put the names (rather than numbers) in the balls. I think it is well organised and run BUT you do need to pay attention to the intro and watch the pre-recorded films about each draw 😀.  It obviously helps to write down the names/numbers for your team and potential opponents. When 9 came out I knew Hearts/Rosenborg were at home and 3 meant PAOK/Hajduk.

Edited by Alberto Spencer
spelling

No Nieuwenhof, Tagawa, Vargas or McKay for tomorrow. Obviously no Gordon and Halkett either, and Boyce and Baningime still getting up to speed and probably won't start.

I've seen a couple of journos tipping Cochrane to play at left-midfield ahead of Kingsley. I'm not sure if that's based on some ITK knowledge or if it's just speculation, but I hope that doesn't happen. Playing full-backs at wide midfield hardly ever seems to work.

It's understandable if we want to prioritise being solid given we're away and have a few players missing, but it feels like their defence is there to be got at and we'd be playing into their hands a bit if we give them the initiative to attack our own questionable defence. With that in mind, I'd be tempted to try Oda up front with Shankland to give us some pace up there. Unfortunately that probably means putting Forrest in Oda's usual wide right position, but options are limited.

35 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Anyone got any ideas if this is available on radio? I unfortunately might be driving at the time so an audio-only option would be good....

Rosenborg v Hearts: 'Crucial' for Premiership side to reach group stages - Frankie McAvoy - BBC Sport

Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio Scotland Extra/DAB/810MW, live text commentary on the BBC Sport website & app.

20 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Rosenborg v Hearts: 'Crucial' for Premiership side to reach group stages - Frankie McAvoy - BBC Sport

Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio Scotland Extra/DAB/810MW, live text commentary on the BBC Sport website & app.

Excellent thanks! Another article implied live text only!! 😱😱🫣

Teams just out. I know we're somewhat sparse on the subs bench due to injury/illness but is part of the reason we're putting youngsters in due to uefa home grown rules? I may of course be entirely wrong 

55 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Excellent thanks! Another article implied live text only!! 😱😱🫣

I paid for the Hearts PPV for that very reason. Fucking livid. 😀

I was planning to go and sit in my local beer garden and listen to the game with a pint outside.

I've never been so angry. 😀

*BBC site still says text-only. Maybe I was right afterall.

Edited by VincentGuerin

19 hours ago, DC92 said:

No Nieuwenhof, Tagawa, Vargas or McKay for tomorrow. Obviously no Gordon and Halkett either, and Boyce and Baningime still getting up to speed and probably won't start.

I've seen a couple of journos tipping Cochrane to play at left-midfield ahead of Kingsley. I'm not sure if that's based on some ITK knowledge or if it's just speculation, but I hope that doesn't happen. Playing full-backs at wide midfield hardly ever seems to work.

It's understandable if we want to prioritise being solid given we're away and have a few players missing, but it feels like their defence is there to be got at and we'd be playing into their hands a bit if we give them the initiative to attack our own questionable defence. With that in mind, I'd be tempted to try Oda up front with Shankland to give us some pace up there. Unfortunately that probably means putting Forrest in Oda's usual wide right position, but options are limited.

Would rather have had Cochrane at LM with Kingsley at LB with Lowry up front instead of Forrest up front tbf.