Pars vs Airdrie - Sat 5th August

39 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

NW was going nuts about a couple of the offsides but all looked about right to me tbh.

Weirdest one was when offside occurred about 15 yards outside the box and it resulted in an Airdrie goal kick…wut?

Yeah, I can't think of any obviously bad offside calls but do remember that incident. Offside given midway in the Airdrie half and when the keeper tried to take it he kept moving him further and further back. The linesman should have been on the walkie talkie and standing roughly in line with the original call you'd think, but he just tentatively went back in line with the six yard box. Weird.

As a Pars fan who was 19 in 1996,  I can't believe how sensible this Pars v Airdrie thread is.  Fair fuks though, Airdrie have some good posters on here and a balanced view of the game is good to see.

The game was exactly how I thought things would play out.  Two very different styles. Airdrie looking to shift the ball about midfield to attack and Pars solid at the back and looking to counter. It was close all last season and it was again. Going down to 10 men is not that big a deal to Pars. We are very comfortable sitting with our backs to the wall.

I'm confident our style will see us safe with a few more additions and I'm sure Airdrie will win games playing less defensively organised teams in this league.

Edited by Chubbychops

12 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

The timing issue; people didn’t seem to remember we didn’t start the second half until 16:05. Guy behind me was shrieking about playing 10 minutes of stoppage time when we’d had about three.

Yeh but it was funny to see the referee clearly have issues with his watch, most referees can manage to time the game accurately.

Not really sure what McCabe and Hutton were complaining to the referee about but they were having a good old lecture at full time, Hutton staying to walk down the tunnel with them.

We started well and looked threatening without getting too many breaks in the box. Otoo had to score when he hit it at the keeper. If that's Edwards it's 1 0.

Airdrie deservedly took the lead like, some hit for the first and the boy Watson reacted well. Thought Sharp looked a bit sluggish going for it. 

Great pressure from McCann in the lead up to our goal. The lad is turning into a fine, fine player. Great header from Otoo but if im Airdrie I'd be annoyed at it.

Allan's goal was superb, wonderful technique and pace on the strike but The Onion was poor apart from that. Got skinned in our box leading to a great chance and fluffed a chance to break away at one point. Just think he's needing a run of games somewhere to get experience playing actual competitive football, he's not had much.

Would love to snatch a point next week but unlikely right now I reckon. Utd have some great signings in Moult and Gallagher. 

8 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

As a Pas fan who was 19 in 1996,  I can't believe how sensible this Pars v Airdrie thread is.  Fair fuks though, Airdrie have some good posters on here and a balanced view of the game is good to see.

The game was exactly how I thought things would play out.  Two very different styles. Airdrie looking to shift the ball about midfield to attack and Pars solid at the back and looking to counter. It was close all last season and it was again. Going down to 10 men is not that big a deal to Pars. We are very comfortable sitting with our backs to the wall.

I'm confident our style will see us safe with a few more additions and I'm sure Airdrie will win games playing less defensively organised teams in this league.

Yeah I said it after the 9 men last game last season but Dunfermline must be one of the worst teams in the country to play against with a man advantage. Everyone knew their job today when that happened, just sit in a block of 8 with McCann chasing balls over the top. Very frustrating to play against.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yeh but it was funny to see the referee clearly have issues with his watch, most referees can manage to time the game accurately.

Not really sure what McCabe and Hutton were complaining to the referee about but they were having a good old lecture at full time, Hutton staying to walk down the tunnel with them.

McCabe was unhappy with a few decisions in his post match interview. They thought there was a Dunfermline handball on the line during that stramash in the box and then a penalty claim at the end but I can’t say I thought much of either incident.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I said it after the 9 men last game last season but Dunfermline must be one of the worst teams in the country to play against with a man advantage. Everyone knew their job today when that happened, just sit in a block of 8 with McCann chasing balls over the top. Very frustrating to play against.

McCabe was unhappy with a few decisions in his post match interview. They thought there was a Dunfermline handball on the line during that stramash in the box and then a penalty claim at the end but I can’t say I thought much of either incident.

Would have been screaming for the handball if I was an Airdrie fan, thought it was a stonewaller.

How Gallagher missed the rebound is beyond me.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:

Mccabe can piss off after telling the keeper to stay doon. Get it up him.

Trying to make a 17 year old think they have given someone a brain injury or some shit, utter shit bag behaviour 

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’ve already said that I thought that looked like a handball (and would have been a straight red). But I’d need to see it back. Breen was certainly diving about on the ground to block the shot and his arm was out. However, hard to argue it wasn’t an advantage when Gallagher more or less had an open goal to aim at. Same way we got advantage (I assume) about a minute before our first goal, when McCann’s shirt got ripped by the defender he stole the ball off, who tried to drag him back. He ran into the box and got a shot off, so no foul was given. Still no idea how the defender wasn’t booked for that after play stopped, thought that was even more obvious than Breen’s bookings.

Not sure what the penalty claim was - right at the end, when Hamilton got brought down and we got the free kick? Thought that looked like the right decision at the time. 

Good game, big game atmosphere after years in the seaside league,  a venue that the under 35s would probably call a shithole, for someone more mature age wise only perhaps,  I always think it is one of the best venues going , catches the old and the new pretty well,  remember standing in the corner of the shed as a young in watching Stevie McCormick put the pars to the sword,  enough reminiscing...

Airdrie deserved a point, pars always give us trouble with there style of play, due to loading the box etc,   without going over old ground we are 3 players short of competing, will we get them though.... 

Tennis and golf are fine for a few weeks, but you canny beat a miserable sat night after being pumped at the football..

1 hour ago, Weegie Par said:

Would have been screaming for the handball if I was an Airdrie fan, thought it was a stonewaller.

How Gallagher missed the rebound is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Think I speak for every Pars fan when I say that I hope the highlights show Airdrie were denied the most blatant penalties in decades.

This stonewall penalty?

Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:

This stonewall penalty?

Showing your lack of knowledge of the rules by saying that’s a penalty bud.

Very clearly using his arm for support when on the ground and refs are told not to give penalties for incidents such as those.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

The timing issue; people didn’t seem to remember we didn’t start the second half until 16:05. Guy behind me was shrieking about playing 10 minutes of stoppage time when we’d had about three.

We started at 16:05 but finished on 16:55.  5 minutes injury time, which as a team with 10 men holding on felt excessive, but with the win secured and being able to look at things more calmly was maybe justified once you take into account the bullshit stoppage for McCabe having his keeper needlessly drop to the floor, roll around and get the doctor on when the keeper knew he was absolutely fine and just wanted to get on with it.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Yeah, I can't think of any obviously bad offside calls but do remember that incident. Offside given midway in the Airdrie half and when the keeper tried to take it he kept moving him further and further back. The linesman should have been on the walkie talkie and standing roughly in line with the original call you'd think, but he just tentatively went back in line with the six yard box. Weird.

The ref ended up giving a goal kick at that incident i think, which was bizzare as edwards shot was saved, If he’s going to overrule the linesman on the offside he should have given a corner.

6 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

This stonewall penalty?

about as clear of an example of arm underneath body which is instructed to not be considered handball.

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Credit to Craig Watson for his interview with Airdrie’s in house team.

Just calmly dismissed the interviewer’s attempts to turn it into a hard luck sob story and instead questioned his own side’s effort to get a positive result.

The Airdrie players would've known exactly what thay were facing today. They know us and we know them. Nae hard luck stories to be told today.

14 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

This stonewall penalty?

Less of a pen than I thought. If your arm’s between your body and the ground, it’s not a handball offence. Also, why’d you cut it off before the miss?

As I said earlier - even if it was a handball (which you’ve just shown it wasn’t) you can’t claim Gallagher getting the ball there isn’t an advantage?!