Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

19 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It's a wild ride that you say all of that in the first paragraph then advocate that we sing a song about Maradona.  

You've lost me , the maradona song is a wee sly dig at the england fans about how he put them out the world cup, not about someone in a coffin or a disability 

I think the first 10 minutes of the match were really damaging for us. We didn't get a touch of the ball. I don't think we put more than a pass or two together. I think we really needed a good spell on the ball early on to settle down and get into our rhythym. We didn't get it, and the rest of the half we looked so scrappy, uncomposed and unprepared whenever we did get. 

Noticeable I think that we DID get it at the start of the 2nd half, and put in a much better performance for it. 

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

Whether you like it or not it, GSTK is the British National anthem and many 100,000s of Scots consider themselves Scottish and British.

GSTK was regularly played in Scottish games right up to the 80s which I think many have forgotten.

Not sure what the Tory party has to do with anything 

GSTQ was also booed when it was played as our anthem at my first International when we beat England 2-1 in 1976.

It was also booed at every International I was at over the next few years until it was changed.

Pretty sure we were copying the rugby team by changing it.

4 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Just reading the chat over the past few pages.

Are people REALLY offended by "Lizzie in box" chants and seriously trying to compare it to chants calling Harry Kane a slur? 😂😂 Grow up and get a grip

I'm no offended by either, and the Kane one is worse but Lizzie's in a box is absolutely tragic patter.

Booing GSTK is absolutely the right thing to do

59 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They were still winning, though.

Of course they were. I was responding to the poster who said that England fans were making proportionally more noise throughout the match and that the atmosphere amongst the Scotland fans was flat throughout .

The point I was making in response was that England fans were singing away ( easy to give it big licks with a two goal cushion) until we got within a goal of them then they all went quiet.  Of course it all started again after Kane scored and they knew we weren’t going to equalise. 

in other words crowds respond to what’s happening on the pitch. 

England fans- ok, credit them with dominating the noise (where were they in 2017?) - were ghastly. Painful suppurating buboes to them all, and I extend the curse to those of our fans who crossed the line. I don't want to sound puritanical but - actually, stuff it, I don't mind sounding puritanical because I probably am - a fair proportion of our crowd, like any crowd, is inherently stupid, and factoring in booze you'll get stupidity squared.

24 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Seen a girl in Cyprus approach a couple of young Scotland fans singing that Harry Kane song and she absolutely went through the boy (rightly so). Seen her group leaving after the game and they had a handicapped family member. Out of order singing that shite 

I've said it previously, however I absolutely detested that song last night and I have no reason to other than I'm a Dad and if my Son or Daughter was born handicapped then it would break my heart hearing people have fun at them like that and using that word as a way to mock someone. So well done to that girl, I honestly hope it's the last time I hear this at a Scotland game, it's shameful.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Would the English national anthem be booed if they changed it to Jerusalem or land of hope and glory? Yes, probably less so but yes. 

Would the English national anthem be booed if they changed it to Mr Blobby by Mr Blobby? Undoubtedly. 

Can only talk for myself but I wouldn't boo the 3 suggestions you made, the last one I may laugh at though haha. Anyway, Jerusalem or land of hope and glory would be boo'd less i'm sure.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Aye, the claim from folk that "every Rangers fan they know hates Scotland" is clearly hyperbolic pish. 

100%. It is complete and utter pish. Until fairly recently, you'd have  nearly every single Rangers fan backing Scotland to varying degrees.

That's not to say that there isnt sections of the current Rangers support who do not support Scotland. Probably a few reasons for that; perceived actions of the SFA post liquidation, increase of Rangers players from other countries and a decrease in the number of Rangers players in Scotland side, rise of Scottish nationalisim etc but there is also plenty that will be on the wind up and like playing the 'against the grain' card.

Maybe for some Rangers fans, the uncomfortable truth is that in the last decade or so, there frankly isn't any Scottish Rangers player good enough to be an automatic first pick for Scotland, McGregor and possibly Jack at times aside.

In the past, a young Scottish player who got any kind of a sniff of first team football at Rangers or Celtic was launched straight into the national side, regardless of whether they were that good. The lack of moves of Scottish players to both and in a few cases such as Gilmour and Doak to head down south before getting near the first team broke that.

I'd imagine that say Gilmour stayed at Rangers and was starting every game for Scotland, attitudes would be vastly different. I don't think Rangers fans generally 'hate' Scotland, I just think quite a lot are disengaged. 

Just now, Quentin Taranbino said:

Speaking of folk sneaking things in - Glengarrys should be banned. Auld guy in front of me had one and could barely see a fucking thing. Do these folk have no common sense at all that they are blocking the view for about 17 rows behind them. One of these guys with about 100 pin badges.

They things are an absolute pain in the arse, I have been in this position before.

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

100%. It is complete and utter pish. Until fairly recently, you'd have  nearly every single Rangers fan backing Scotland to varying degrees.

That's not to say that there isnt sections of the current Rangers support who do not support Scotland. Probably a few reasons for that; perceived actions of the SFA post liquidation, increase of Rangers players from other countries and a decrease in the number of Rangers players in Scotland side, rise of Scottish nationalisim etc but there is also plenty that will be on the wind up and like playing the 'against the grain' card.

Maybe for some Rangers fans, the uncomfortable truth is that in the last decade or so, there frankly isn't any Scottish Rangers player good enough to be an automatic first pick for Scotland, McGregor and possibly Jack at times aside.

In the past, a young Scottish player who got any kind of a sniff of first team football at Rangers or Celtic was launched straight into the national side, regardless of whether they were that good. The lack of moves of Scottish players to both and in a few cases such as Gilmour and Doak to head down south before getting near the first team broke that.

I'd imagine that say Gilmour stayed at Rangers and was starting every game for Scotland, attitudes would be vastly different. I don't think Rangers fans generally 'hate' Scotland, I just think quite a lot are disengaged. 

Until fairly recently 

Not this century 

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Probably up to or around the Dick Advocatt era, which is 'recent' to me.

Dunno, it would have been very strong Walter Smith/Burns era

I believe a recent survey still had Rangers as the must commonly supported club within the Scottish support so it's all just exaggerated nonsense really. Personally I know 7 Rangers fans that are all booked up for Germany. 

I would like more Rangers players in the squad but that is on Rangers more than anything else and our terrible recruitment.

Edited by edinabear