The Sons vs The Spartans

41 minutes ago, microdave said:

Malcolm and Orsi are back in contention but Wallace is still on his honeymoon so misses out with Byrne and C.Wilson. 

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/match-preview-dumbarton-vs-spartans/

Wallace missing is not good news.  Much as a lot of our play was good last week we lacked a cutting edge.  Orsi's return is welcome though.

On 09/08/2023 at 09:37, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Strap yourself in and prepare to have your face melted off with 0.8 goals!

Laughed out loud at that. A weird moment for everyone concerned whilst on public transport.

Anyway looking forward to this and the return of league action to the rock. Last weekends draw whilst disappointing wasn’t the worst of starts but needs followed up with a win tomorrow.

Hoping to see Hilton start and us go with two up top and see if we can edge that 0.8 goal target to a 1.0 and keep a clean sheet at the other end. That’ll do.

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If there are any Spartans fans out there. And you are coming across tomorrow, I clocked this on our fans Facebook group.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2023_08.11-13_59_19.png.c939531a5e88a13ff95f4e463ba453ae.png

367396897_6465286443563259_8630757738872050154_n.thumb.jpg.6518ef07aaddede6810ceaca9855f793.jpg

It would be good to see fans support Bar 72. They're doing a hell of a job trying to serve fans and benefit the club.

15 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

Laughed out loud at that. A weird moment for everyone concerned whilst on public transport.

Anyway looking forward to this and the return of league action to the rock. Last weekends draw whilst disappointing wasn’t the worst of starts but needs followed up with a win tomorrow.

Hoping to see Hilton start and us go with two up top and see if we can edge that 0.8 goal target to a 1.0 and keep a clean sheet at the other end. That’ll do.

It will be interesting to see the starting eleven - I was impressed with the pace Shiels gave us on the left when he came on last week.  Orsi and Malcolm are now available and Carlo has had another week to get to full fitness so we have a number of options.

18 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It will be interesting to see the starting eleven - I was impressed with the pace Shiels gave us on the left when he came on last week.  Orsi and Malcolm are now available and Carlo has had another week to get to full fitness so we have a number of options.

I'm not sure what our best 11 is on paper? Whether or not we have them all available during the season is another matter, but I think that our midfield has a few options. Clearly the back 4 will pretty much be settled as Carlo, Crighton, Durnan and Young. And I'd expect the front 3 to be Orsi, Ruth and McLean, if thats how we set up this year. But in the middle of the park we have options that give us a bit more solidity (Blair, Malcolm), a decent box to box work rate (Wallace, Wilson, Gray) and Hilton gives us an attacking option to play off the front man.

I think we've got a bit of variety in the squad and thats something we havent had for a while. Hopefully Farrell resists the temptation to revert to type and play negatively because on paper we have quite a positive squad that looks capable of playing attacking football. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I’d be starting Shiels over MacLean personally, to at least see what he can offer us. I just don’t think Ross MacLean is consistently good enough, and it feels like we’ve been waiting for years now for him to go on a proper run of form. His goals and assists return was poor last year IMO.

We've been absolutely terrible with the ball. All energy and pressing is gone and we're just passing it between our centre halves before launching it. I'm sure there's a plan as Farrell is tearing his hair out over there but it's clear the players don't know what it is.