Livingston vs Ayr - 19/8/23 - League Cup Last 16

GuyIncognito

Job done, Pittman was the game changer. That tempo increase when we made subs just gave us such a boost. Montano could've had another had he been more clinical. Felt like the back three strolled the game whilst also displaying why we didn't offer Rose a contract. 

Yep Pittman's pressing helped get us the 2nd goal, different team when he was playing, started winning balls and playing through the midfield. First half it was all a bit slow and laboured, with big punts up to Guthrie, the one he flicked onto Montano finally had us running through towards the byeline, and cutting it in for Nouble to stick it away. 

Ayr had a couple of good efforts too, in particular the 2nd half one in behind our defence that Shamal had to come to the rescue, with a good save. Finished comfortably for us, keeping a clean sheet and having the 2nd goal as a cushion.

I though the subs were spot on today. Brandon running for the byeline was far more effective than Penrice cutting back onto his left foot all the time. Guthrie started well and faded as the game wore on. Back 3 were superb again and Shamal made the stops he had to with no fuss. Stephen Kelly seemed to hold us back with his tendancy to slow play down so when Pittman came on and buzzed around we looked far better. Not an outstanding team performance but professional and just about as comfortable as we've been in a game for a long time. I also need to add, even as a Livi fan, it was a joy to watch McGeady in full flow....what a player he is

Funnily enough after the game Davie said he expected us to demand our money back after the first half; trouble was he then said something like "the seven pound fifty or whatever it was" which was a bit confusing. He also said he gave everyone a bit or a "warming" at half time and they were a lot more focused in the second. Bruce Anderson was grinning beside him and chipped it with "i was out on the pitch at the time but I heard about it".

Actually i didn't think we played that badly in the first half but admit that we were a bit slow and lacking urgency which resulted on Ayr having a lot more time on the ball to work on a counter than perhaps they should have had.

Interesting seeing Rose playing for Ayr as an honest man. I saw little in him when he was on trial for us and saw even less today; seemed to run around a lot but don't know if he has what it takes to play at championship level.

One thing I want to point out with Devlin is that I don't think we've had a more comfortable defender in terms of being on the ball in a while. The last player I was so comfortable on the ball was Halkett and Gallagher. He just oozes pure class, he's far too good for us.

Edited by ATLIS

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Surprised to see some Livi fans crediting McGeady, I thought he was blowing out his arse after 25 minutes :D A few flicks and tricks here and there but zero end product and questionable fitness

The fitness is definitely miles off but he has undoubted quality. Had Penrice turning in circles when he was on the wing then when he moved to a more central role in the second half, Holt and Shinnie couldn't get close to him. We definitely gained more control of the midfield when he went off

5 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Surprised to see some Livi fans crediting McGeady, I thought he was blowing out his arse after 25 minutes :D A few flicks and tricks here and there but zero end product and questionable fitness

For a 37 year old and making his first start this season (I believe) I thought he did alright - im sure the last thing he needed was a fresh Scott Pittman hounding him though 😂. I view fitness independently of his ability. I did feel sorry for our boys chasing air with McGeady’s feints and change of direction. I guess that brain doesn’t leave you even if legs do.

6 hours ago, ATLIS said:

The guy is 37 and has been out injured for nine months - he is slowly working his way back to fitness. If he can stay injury free long enough to get his fitness back up, then he will be a stand out in the championship. 

It’s also pretty hard to have an end product with only one other attack minded player on the pitch!