WOS Development League 23/24.

The U20 boys from Lochar Thistle & Threave Rovers begin their campaign in the inaugural WOSFL Development League this Friday.

Both are in Conference A and start off with a home game. Will post details and how the conferences work in a later post.

Hope to see some right good games as our 2 entrants pit themselves against some of the best youngsters in the country.

IMG_20230911_214017.thumb.jpg.e26e0e25780603076d86c28853154bb2.jpg

17 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The U20 boys from Lochar Thistle & Threave Rovers begin their campaign in the inaugural WOSFL Development League this Friday.

Both are in Conference A and start off with a home game. Will post details and how the conferences work in a later post.

Hope to see some right good games as our 2 entrants pit themselves against some of the best youngsters in the country.

IMG_20230911_214017.thumb.jpg.e26e0e25780603076d86c28853154bb2.jpg

I would check up on the Threave game, i maybe wrong, but i've heard it has been changed to an away match

4 minutes ago, Sermani said:

I would check up on the Threave game, i maybe wrong, but i've heard it has been changed to an away match

Cheers, I was wondering about that as was told at Lochar game that they are playing league games at the NWCC too. Hopefully folk will be able to go along and support both teams during the campaign. Really looking forward to watching the boys progression against some top sides.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Cheers, I was wondering about that as was told at Lochar game that they are playing league games at the NWCC too. Hopefully folk will be able to go along and support both teams during the campaign. Really looking forward to watching the boys progression against some top sides.

It was just word of mouth i'd heard it had been changed and i tend not to believe anything unless i'ts written down.

NWCC, at least at Meadow you can get a seat, shelter and a cup of tea on a cold winter's night. Fancied going a long to couple of the Threave games but we'll have to see

4 hours ago, Sermani said:

It was just word of mouth i'd heard it had been changed and i tend not to believe anything unless i'ts written down.

NWCC, at least at Meadow you can get a seat, shelter and a cup of tea on a cold winter's night. Fancied going a long to couple of the Threave games but we'll have to see

It was a committee member I speak with who told me about sharing with Lochar at NWCC. Problem with the kids using Meadow would be the stress it will put on the pitch once the rains come.

The 2 u20 games there have been well attended and very enjoyable, will be a bit disappointing for the games not to be played their but understandanle for the sake of the pitch.

Meadow is 10 mins from home whereas NWCC is 40, inconvenient but will get to as many games as I can.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

There are 4 conferences and I believe the winners of each play off in a knockout format to decide overall champion.

Conference A.

IMG_20230913_183208.thumb.jpg.1c689a8c89323c9dde6e8f626367e51e.jpg

Lochar entertain Larkhall who finished bottom of League Cup Section 2 with 3 defeats 1 walkover defeat?, scoring 1 goal whilst conceding 23.

Bellshill wee 3rd of 4 in Section 3, 2 wins a draw and 3 defeats.  Scoring 9 and conceding 18.

Of course it's hard to gauge the quality if each team until all teams have played a few league games.

Confirmed both Lochar and Threave playing home games at the NWCC next to McD's.

Matchday 1 in Conference A.

Lochar at NWCC

FB_IMG_1694765754307.thumb.jpg.3b71d7696746fa6c2d88c6aff83abd0f.jpg

Threave travel up to Bellshill.

Bellshill Athletic v Threave Rovers

🏟 Sir Matt Busby Sports Complex, Main St, Bellshill. ML3 4DP.

🕑 20.00 K.O

IMG_20230915_092657.thumb.jpg.ba0f0f914ccb3aea9db15476e8a213f1.jpg

Like the photo of last Friday's goal that won the Cup Group.

IMG_20230915_221559.thumb.jpg.f14b3526c4c0b70d8fd6b7c10a432fd8.jpg

Lochar started their league campaign with a 5-1 win over @LarkhallTh20s at a wet and wild Dumfries tonight. Goals came from an Aiden Jardine double, @TravisH92047616, @luis_dalziel17 and @ReeceIrving11 .

IMG_20230915_222856.thumb.jpg.d23bd63097aec9f4abbb27410501828e.jpg

@cal_beatt @Luca_Rinaaldi and Harry Officer seal a 3-2 victory against @BellshillA_u20s

boys 3-0 conceded 2 goals on 80 & 81 mins but held on.

Also Lanark from their League Cup Group won 5 - 1 at home to Thorniewood who were 2nd in Bellshill's group.

Looking bright for our youth teams so far.

Wee match report from Lochar 

Lochar u20’s started their League campaign with a 5-1 victory over Larkhall Thistle at a wet North West Campus.
Larkhall had took the lead midway through the first half but 2 Aiden Jardine goals along with a Travis Hughes effort had Lochar 3-1 up at the break. 
Substitutes Reece Irving and Luis Dalziel sealed the win with goals in the 2nd half.
🔴⚪⚫

Thanks to Threave u20's for making a liar of me. Looking like they will be playing at Meadow if West team are playing away.

Game this Friday against @thorniewood_u20 at Meadow Park. Kick off at 20.00IMG_20230919_134603.thumb.jpg.4e3c9904552bb805c88d1c09be5c65bb.jpg

Threave 4-0 Thorniewood

Blantyre Vics 4-3 Lochar.

Lochar were 4-1 down at half-time but rallied again fell a bit short, but it's all about learning.

Threave entertained Thorniewood at Meadow Park scoring 2 goals in quick succession in each half.

The boys played well but not a game to judge them on. Thorniewood were decent individually but for me they looked poorly coached with no real shape especially in midfield. There will be games coming up to better gauge how the Threave boys are developing.

From Lochar u20 twitter, as they say I wasn't there so cannot comment. 

A spirited Lochar went down 4-3 away at @BVFC1890 tonight. Two bizarre sending offs to  @jackcaskie54 and @luis_dalziel17 didn’t help Thistle’s cause with a stonewall penalty also denied in the last minute. Goals from a @benwall04 double and @ReeceIrving11

Matchday 3 tomorrow evening sees both our teams at home.

IMG_20230928_211633.thumb.jpg.ab70ea504dfd817fc9fdb26e3e627ac5.jpg

Lochar welcome leaders Wishaw to the NWCC, looking to bounce back after last week's narrow loss.

Threave entertain Shotts BA at Meadow Park looking to keep their season at 100%, SBA have lost both opening games 4-3.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

Just back from NWCC. So glad I chose this encounter over SBA visit to Meadow Park.

The scoreline a 1-4 reversal for Lochar at hands of Wishaw does not begin to tell the story of an eventful evening in Lochside.

Right from the off I could see Wishy were your typical Lanarkshire youth team; fast, physical, well coached especially in the dark arts of the game. Right from the first challenge they were claiming for everything and berating the official both onfield and off. One coach was red carded before half-time and the other received a yellow in the second. Did not keep a count of number of bookings they received for backchat; it was more than the one.

Every challenge was preceded with a nudge or a shirt hold which the Lochar boys seemed incapable of reciprocating.

Spent a while watching Wishy no.7. I lost count of the amount of, off the ball tugs, trips, barges and general bullying he dished out to the unsuspecting Lochar boys. Not one local seemed capable of standing up to the physical nature and speed of the South Lanarkshire boys. The Lochar boys wanted and needed time to process their decision making, which was not forthcoming from Wishy, who were fast and strong on the challenge, not always legally I might add, but the official was either happy to let it go or was not aware of it. I feel it was the latter.

The first half was fairly well contested with Lochar leading until near half time but 2 quick goals finished the game.

After the break the Lochar boys were a spent force both physically and mentally.

A massive education for them, but as I've said before that's why they are in this league. You don't learn and progress playing the same half dozen teams all the time. Hopefully the coaching staff can use this game to teach the boys every aspect of the game. The coaches will also learn which boys can move forward and those who will struggle in the coming matches.

League Cup at Meadow next week against KRR.

Not sure if any of their successful pre covid youth team players are still eligible for this age group. 

Can't be bothered working it out, but will be an interesting contest to witness unfolding.

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Not one local seemed capable of standing up to the physical nature and speed of the South Lanarkshire boys.

Just wait until they play some hardy North Lanarkshire boys. Like Wishaw, for example. 🙄

Otherwise, keep up your good work...I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying reading your wee reports. 👌