St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager 23/24

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I actually don't think Levein is that bad a shout - brings experience and that's what we really need right now.

Yes, he's boring as f**k, but I'd rather boring and see improvement than another rookie like Brown.

Let's be honest, our options are shit going by the lists that are being touted about. 

The priority is staying up, Levein until the end of the season probably has the best chance of doing that and providing some much needed calm heidedness. And he'd probably not want a long contract, would be one of the few who a season long deal might actually appeal to.

Boring - very. Sensible - maybe aye.

Edited by shibbydoo

51 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

I actually don't think Levein is that bad a shout - brings experience and that's what we really need right now.

Yes, he's boring as f**k, but I'd rather boring and see improvement than another rookie like Brown.

Let's be honest, our options are shit going by the lists that are being touted about. 

The priority is staying up, Levein until the end of the season probably has the best chance of doing that and providing some much needed calm heidedness. And he'd probably not want a long contract, would be one of the few who a season long deal might actually appeal to.

Yes. Boring and sensible to get us safe at the end of the season then look long term from there.

Would be happy with Levein. 

His heart is in the right place with his players and regards to youth development.

As a central defender surely he’d be a good calm influence on Gordon as well.

Many positives for this StJohnstone team as it stands and not many negatives

Did a wee bit of research on Levein's stats, average around 40% win ratio in his managerial career.

If he can do that again that's 11 wins between now and the end of the season - puts us on 40 points.

Throw in 6 or 7 draws and that sees us easily safe on 47 points.

Also as mentioned he enjoys the youth side of the role and our very promising youngsters could benefit from that.

Shit - think I'm hoping Levein gets it 

1 hour ago, shibbydoo said:

That won't happen.  It's obvious from the outside looking in trying to get Martingdale now Potter you are looking for someone to take over most aspects of the footballing operations. 

What would be in it for Levein to be there until the end of the season?  He sees himself as some footballing guru and would want full control on a long term deal as per the guntos. 

I'm less keen on Levein in general. Just stinks of one of the old football boys in Scotland with the likes of Hughes, Collins etc. Saying that though he is likely to take things back to basics and attempt to play to the strength's of players we actually have rather than attempting to force them into playing in a way they're not good enough to do. He's also not going to slaughter the players quite so aggressively in the press nor moan about lack of budget in the press either. 

Is he not quite pragmatic though and more a Davidson type of "keep it tight, dont lose an early goal, lets get to half time 0-0 and try and nick a goal with 20 mins to go. ". Being a Saints manager you obviously at times do need to be pragmatic but using last nights example, that game was won due to a positive mindset from the off. 

Although such is football it could well go very well under him. Who knows! 

2 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

That won't happen.  It's obvious from the outside looking in trying to get Martingdale now Potter you are looking for someone to take over most aspects of the footballing operations. 

What would be in it for Levein to be there until the end of the season?  He sees himself as some footballing guru and would want full control on a long term deal as per the guntos. 

Yeah he's not going to give up his job at Brechin and the BBC so he can spent 8 months at Saints either. Its hardly an opportunity of a lifetime!!

We do need someone on the football side that will try to structure the "bigger picture" but levein has shown he struggles to not be a complete control freak, certainly based on him going into the Hearts dressing room etc when he was not the manager. Also COULD be somewhat pointless in building a better structure off the field etc for it to be torn to bits in 18 months when the club is bought to be a Burnley's feeder club! 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Mentioned before but my concerns with Levein are how little hes actually been a manager in the last decade.

Since being sacked by Scotland in 2012 its literally just his ~100 game stint at Hearts over 4 years ago.

I guess his overall experience will probably offset that but I dunno, it just feels off to me. He ticks a lot of boxes but does he tick those boxes or is it a decade old version of him that is?

Probably overthinking it.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mentioned before but my concerns with Levein are how little hes actually been a manager in the last decade.

Since being sacked by Scotland in 2012 its literally just his ~100 game stint at Hearts over 4 years ago.

I guess his overall experience will probably offset that but I dunno, it just feels off to me. He ticks a lot of boxes but does he tick those boxes or is it a decade old version of him that is?

Probably overthinking it.

This is where I am. The fact it’s been 14 years since he left United makes me feel very, very old. 

My concern too is Levein has not been in management for a number of years now. 

I’m intrigued in the Tam Courts link. Done well at United on paper for sure but weren’t his team guff to watch? 

I remember we dominated his team at McDiarmid during the covid season but Siegrist was saving everything at him.