Celtic Vs Aberdeen

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

No one’s upset here apart from Boydy 😅

The problem Rangers fans have here is that they’re viewing themselves as an equal to Celtic. Celtic have been superior for the majority of seasons since the turn of the century, especially since the reincarnation turned up. I remember when we were challenging for the league around 2014-16, I used to get frustrated that teams would go to Celtic Park and fall to bits but would give us a game but the fact is that they were just better than us. I would imagine that if you looked back on the stats from the last 25 years, most teams would have a better record against Rangers than they do against Celtic. 

🤣

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

In my time supporting the Dons we have lost at Parkhead, in the league, by 5 or more goals on the following occasions -

1964/65 0-8

1965/66 1-7

1995/96 0-5

1999/2000 0-7

2000/01 0-6

2010/11 0-9

2023/24 0-6.

Not as many as I'd have guessed to be honest.

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Sadly you missed one. Our last trip to Parkhead, Robson's Aberdeen lost 5-0 in the final game of last season. 

16 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Lost 5-0 on the last day of the 2022-23 season too

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

I know Ireland was neutral and I know the IRA cosied up to the Nazis and bombed the UK. It's reasonable to wonder, then, why the Goon Brigade think it's so cool to be dismissive of commemorating the war effort, which did involve many Celtic-minded Scottish people (many of whom I grew up alongside) and Irish volunteers. Do they think the IRA were right to side with Hitler?

Seems a pretty clear observation to me. Perhaps you do miss my point.

Not quite sure why you have focused 2nd world war, the minutes silence clearly wasn't just for that and hasn't been for some time now. Regardless I don't agree with booing it myself but let's not pretend the whole thing isnt a bit of a nonesense now.

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

When we were in the Championship, we were mounting no less serious a threat to Celtic than Aberdeen were.

"Challenging for the title" 🤣

f**k me, that's a belter.

I’m pretty sure there was one season where Celtic didn’t wrap it up until game 33 or 34 and that is a team being challenged for their title.

Just now, Sortmeout said:

I’m pretty sure there was one season where Celtic didn’t wrap it up until game 33 or 34 and that is a team being challenged for their title.

Behave yourself.

There was absolutely no point that anyone thought Aberdeen were going to win the league.

Pretending otherwise is daft. Aberdeen from 2014 - 16 finished 32 (THIRTY-TWO), 17, and 15 points behind Celtic.

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Behave yourself.

There was absolutely no point that anyone thought Aberdeen were going to win the league.

Pretending otherwise is daft. Aberdeen from 2014 - 16 finished 32 (THIRTY-TWO), 17, and 15 points behind Celtic.

I wouldn’t say that I thought Aberdeen were going to win the league but they challenged.

In 2005 Hearts challenged for the league but I didn’t think they would ever win it and, similar to Aberdeen, they fell away and finished 15 points adrift. Aberdeen were more stable behind the scenes in 2015 or whatever season they were closest and as a result had an (outside) chance for longer.

Not too sure why you are struggling with this.

ETA - Rangers are 5 points behind a Celtic team, who just won 6-0,  with less than a third games so I assume you don’t class them as a challenger either? 

Edited by Sortmeout

Just now, Sortmeout said:

I wouldn’t say that I thought Aberdeen were going to win the league but they challenged.

In 2005 Hearts challenged for the league but I didn’t think they would ever win it and, similar to Aberdeen, they fell away and finished 15 points adrift. Aberdeen were more stable behind the scenes in 2015 or whatever season they were closest and as a result had an (outside) chance for longer.

Not too sure why you are struggling with this.

I think we have very different ideas of what a title challenge is.

Being arithmetically in with a shot of winning it is not a "challenge". Celtic coasted to each of those titles.

15 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

When we were in the Championship, we were mounting no less serious a threat to Celtic than Aberdeen were.

"Challenging for the title" 🤣

f**k me, that's a belter.

14/15 - top on New Year’s Day, within 3 points until March.

15/16 - 2 points behind after 30 games

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

14/15 - top on New Year’s Day, within 3 points until March.

15/16 - 2 points behind after 30 games

Leigh Griffiths dragged us to the title that 15/16 season. If he got his injury problems a year earlier Aberdeen could well have won it that season.

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

🤣

This is great stuff.

32 points. 17 points. 15 points. THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY!! 🤣

Crack on, sunshine.

You lot still harp back to when you had the league wrapped up after 8(?) games under Burley 😂

The point I was making is that the gap between us and Celtic then was comparable to the gap between Rangers and Celtic for many recent years. In fact, most years Rangers have been cut adrift much earlier than we were over that period. 

The points difference at the end doesn’t tell the full story. In 17/18 we finished 9 points behind Celtic but we were never in contention.