East Fife -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 10 February 2024)

I attended the match as a neutral yesterday. The standard of the officials was mortifying-to paraphrase a quip from Dick a few years ago-'Stevie Wonder would have seen that the so-called corner which led to the first goal was a clear bye-kick'. Nathan Austin was bullied and brutalised for 90 minutes and the ref booked him! I also remember Dick commenting on lower league refs-'All I ask is that they send us a referee, no' a f*****g apprentice!' It is a perennial problem. I have written to the SFA about this in the past, but they have ZERO for fans. They disgust me.

1 hour ago, Dick Peters said:

I attended the match as a neutral yesterday. The standard of the officials was mortifying-to paraphrase a quip from Dick a few years ago-'Stevie Wonder would have seen that the so-called corner which led to the first goal was a clear bye-kick'. Nathan Austin was bullied and brutalised for 90 minutes and the ref booked him! I also remember Dick commenting on lower league refs-'All I ask is that they send us a referee, no' a f*****g apprentice!' It is a perennial problem. I have written to the SFA about this in the past, but they have ZERO for fans. They disgust me.

Aye, he had an absolute shocker. Probably the worst this season

3 hours ago, Dick Peters said:

HA HA HA! As neutral as a mason at a rangers match.

I thought the ref was ok, he gave nothing to Aitken who habitually wrestles with defenders and falls over looking for fouls, ok he may have missed some touches for corners etc, but for both sides.

Uncle Fester may well make a difference for the club, but for me it's always about him, he plays to the crowd at every game  looking for recognition watch him. 

First half was awful for both teams with long balls and headers, 2nd half was a bit better but neither team looked  like winning it.

Aye, there's not much to add beyond what's already been written. East Fife were the better team in the first half, Stenhousemuir were better in the second, both goals were well taken and despite the lack of clear-cut chances at either end, it was an entertaining contest with a nice ebb and flow. A draw was the fairest outcome and given results elsewhere, a point is very decent for the Warriors.

Our best players were out centre-backs. It was great to see Ross Meechan lead out the team in Gregor Buchanan's absence and I felt very proud to see him wearing the captain's armband given his association with the club. His goal was lovely, a near-post header than spun into the corner of the net, and he largely defended well against a tricky opponent in Nathan Autsin. Nicky Jamieson was the same - aggressive in the air and on the ground, he dealt with most things East Fife threw his way. Kinlay Bilham continues to shine at left-back, Mikey Anderson, Kyle Jacobs and Nat Wedderburn did well in the middle of the park and Matty Aitken grafted away up top. It didn't always come off for him, but you can't fault his workrate.

I was hoping for more from the likes of Euan O'Reilly and Matty Yates, two matchwinners who didn't really get into the game. I didn't think too much of Edin Lynch's performance at right-back - although little gets past him, he's too easily beaten in the air and doesn't appear to attack the ball properly. He must be a good five or six inches taller than Jack Healy but he was beaten in the air by the winger a couple of times. Hopefully Buchanan is fit in time for next week and we can travel to Elgin City with our first-choice back four.

East Fife looks good in the first half. Austin's goal, the kind of finish you only ever see at fives, was lovely, Conor McManus played well in midfield and I thought Liam Newton had a good game at left-back. But they died away in the second half, with the team pegged back for spells and Austin spoiling for a fight (he could have been sent off for a number of dives). Their season has completely flatlined and they'll have to consolidate and give it a go next season. What's happened to Healy? He looked so promising last season and appeared to be a player who could star in full-time football, but he's very predictable and easy to play against. I hope he adds more versatility to his game because there's definitely something there.

The referee was terrible. The steak pie was dry.