Germany v Scotland

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Yes. And Tierney and Porteous stepping into midfield really made a difference. Maybe Germany would have got 75% possession instead of 73% if they didn't and maybe it would've been 7-1 if they didn't.

It was 7 v 4 all across midfield as Havertz wasn't playing as a traditional 9.

But then again, it wasn't even 7, it was 8. Their full backs spent more time in the Scotland half than their own.

Kimmich and Mittelstádt pushed Christie and McGinn back so much that they were almost axillary fullbacks, leaving McTominay and McGregor to cope with Kroos, Andrich, Musiala, Gündoğan, Wirtz and Havertz.

It was wave after wave of attack. When we did get the ball they simply flooded the midfield and applied the gegenpressing till they forced a turnover.

Scotland were camped in their own half for 90 minutes. Their only "attempt" was the header from the corner that wasn't even going in.

A team requires playing up front to occupy defenders and anchormen.

Essentially, Steve Clarke set out a system to invite pressure in the hope that we would escape with 1 point.

It was a case of Murphy's Law. Whatever could go wrong certainly did.

To be honest I have no appetite dissecting the Germany match after this post. It's still raw.

So if you reply to this, don't expect a rebuttal as it still hurts.

Is that what the TV told you? Good for you. Oh no wait you just agreed with it as it matched your own independent assessment from the game. 👍

Edited by 2426255

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Is that what the TV told you? Good for you. Oh no wait you just agreed with it as it matched your own independent assessment from the game. 👍

Sorry, mate, you're barking up the wrong tree with me.

I didn't listen to any analysis of the game. I turned the tv over once the half time whistle went. Back on when the second half started and then over again when the full time whistle went. :)

Strangely enough, I wasn"t in the mood for Souness to go in two footed through the Scotland team.

Edited by SlayerX

4 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Strangely enough, I wasn"t in the mood for Souness to go in two footed through the Scotland team.

Me neither to be fair. Didn't listen to any media, that would be torture.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's criticising you English skills, not your analysis.

Thanks for clarifying. 

Most my posts are made on my phone with no autocorrect and I'm in a bit of a rush to send the message usually so apologies if I offended any of the grammar police! 

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Me neither to be fair. Didn't listen to any media, that would be torture.

I would've ended up swinging from the nearest tree if I did.

Hearing Souness eviscerate us after the England game was excruciating enough.

23 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

SlayerX definitely comes up with his own opinions on here as they're always a bit 'out there' 

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Try basing your thoughts on more than our last game. That'll help you. Look at how the game changed away in Norway for the latter and look at the Spain game at home for the former. Clarke obviously knows how to set up a team at this level.

I've watched all our games and the friendlies against the big teams were all poor performances apart from the Netherlands. Norway away was a long time ago now and the players look jaded and are playing in a system which failed spectacularly in our biggest game in over 25 years. It wasn't even just a failure, it was a fiasco right from the start. Are you saying he set up the team competently? 

Pat Nevin nails it here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cd11pengy0ro

"He obviously knows these things better than I do, but I’d like to have had wee Billy Gilmour in there. These tournaments, it’s about keeping the ball, because if you give it away, you don’t get it back for five minutes, you end up chasing shadows. When you play top technical teams, the one thing you must do is hold the ball. He’s our best (...) We had a game plan that really, really, really didn’t work". 

I hope Clarke and his team have some fresh ideas for the Swiss game. Let's see if he can set them up effectively and deal with unfolding shit/ adversity this time.

Scotland adapted their approach after the first goal up until the 2nd German goal. They tried to play more through the thirds rather than knocking it long into Adams. It meant our possession went up, less turnovers over a similar period of time - but on the flip side we started turning the ball over more in the middle third.

image.png.fedd541171e8efcc28c0de0717db76ee.png

21 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I've watched all our games and the friendlies against the big teams were all poor performances apart from the Netherlands. Norway away was a long time ago now and the players look jaded and are playing in a system which failed spectacularly in our biggest game in over 25 years. It wasn't even just a failure, it was a fiasco right from the start. Are you saying he set up the team competently? 

Pat Nevin nails it here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cd11pengy0ro

"He obviously knows these things better than I do, but I’d like to have had wee Billy Gilmour in there. These tournaments, it’s about keeping the ball, because if you give it away, you don’t get it back for five minutes, you end up chasing shadows. When you play top technical teams, the one thing you must do is hold the ball. He’s our best (...) We had a game plan that really, really, really didn’t work". 

I hope Clarke and his team have some fresh ideas for the Swiss game. Let's see if he can set them up effectively and deal with unfolding shit/ adversity this time.

That's fine. That's your/Pat Nevin's point of view. We disagree, such is life. Good luck to you. 👍

4 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Yes. And Tierney and Porteous stepping into midfield really made a difference. Maybe Germany would have got 75% possession instead of 73% if they didn't and maybe it would've been 7-1 if they didn't.

It was 7 v 4 all across midfield as Havertz wasn't playing as a traditional 9.

But then again, it wasn't even 7, it was 8. Their full backs spent more time in the Scotland half than their own.

Kimmich and Mittelstádt pushed Christie and McGinn back so much that they were almost axillary fullbacks, leaving McTominay and McGregor to cope with Kroos, Andrich, Musiala, Gündoğan, Wirtz and Havertz.

It was wave after wave of attack. When we did get the ball they simply flooded the midfield and applied the gegenpressing till they forced a turnover.

Scotland were camped in their own half for 90 minutes. Their only "attempt" was the header from the corner that wasn't even going in.

A team requires playing up front to occupy defenders and anchormen.

Essentially, Steve Clarke set out a system to invite pressure in the hope that we would escape with 1 point.

It was a case of Murphy's Law. Whatever could go wrong certainly did.

To be honest I have no appetite dissecting the Germany match after this post. It's still raw.

So if you reply to this, don't expect a rebuttal as it still hurts.

Surely Robertson and Ralston should have been stepping forward ?

4 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Sorry, mate, you're barking up the wrong tree with me.

I didn't listen to any analysis of the game. I turned the tv over once the half time whistle went. Back on when the second half started and then over again when the full time whistle went. :)

Souness can still **** off

Lost his Brazilian at the goal from the corner

Did not track back at the Soviet equaliser

1982 was one of our better chances to qualify from a group and he helped **** it up

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

On 16/06/2024 at 19:32, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Souness can still **** off

Lost his Brazilian at the goal from the corner

Did not track back at the Soviet equaliser

1982 was one of our better chances to qualify from a group and he helped **** it up

Danny mcgrain passing the ball to the NZ player helped too. Him, hansen, souness, miller.  All cost us.

On 15/06/2024 at 07:44, tree house tam said:

We all knew Germany had better players in every position than us but what was really galling was the fear. Fear in the set up, fear in the tactics, fear in the players and fear in their play. Absolute shite bags from top to bottom. 

This, in a nutshell. I'm not sure if it's the worst performance I've ever seen from Scotland - it's certainly up there anyway - but I've never seen us so scared. Utterly embarrassing.

Edited by Red5