We need to talk about Steve

45 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Me, look at me. I was right all along. Meeeeeeeeeee! 

Pointless thread from a pointless poster. 

Ok I was sure 🤷‍♂️ I know my football, I was ahead on the curve on most things, Clarke, the formation, hickey so lads ears open and mouths closed🤫

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

Ok I was sure 🤷‍♂️ I know my football, I was ahead on the curve on most things, Clarke, the formation, hickey so lads ears open and mouths closed🤫

There's already an active Steve Clarke thread you narcissistic weirdo.

Meeeeeeeeeeee!

On 24/06/2024 at 09:07, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well not really is it, It's alot of money for very little in terms of hours and days. In terms of financial rewards and work life balance there will be very few jobs in Scotland if any that can match it.

Sure your under pressure if you do badly, you knew that when you took the job tho.

not the point I'm making. Regardless of the money or hours involved, it's a tough job to do well and not cop criticism even when you're doing a solid job. 

And if it was that good, you might wonder why Alex McLeish and Walter Smith both walked away from good squads, at advanced stages in their career to take club jobs and work 48 weeks of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

not the point I'm making. Regardless of the money or hours involved, it's a tough job to do well and not cop criticism even when you're doing a solid job. 

And if it was that good, you might wonder why Alex McLeish and Walter Smith both walked away from good squads, at advanced stages in their career to take club jobs and work 48 weeks of the year. 

Well nobody as far as i am aware put a gun to anyone's head and said you must be Scotlands football manager.

Yes scrutiny is part of the job, we're no more unfair on managers than any other country. I'd say we're more lenient tbh the majority of teams would have already parted ways with there manager after that. If someone doesn't want to cope with scrutiny and expectations then they do not have to apply.

23 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well nobody as far as i am aware put a gun to anyone's head and said you must be Scotlands football manager.

Yes scrutiny is part of the job, we're no more unfair on managers than any other country. I'd say we're more lenient tbh the majority of teams would have already parted ways with there manager after that. If someone doesn't want to cope with scrutiny and expectations then they do not have to apply.

Regardless of whether the manager can accept criticism or deal with scrutiny, it doesn't make the job any easier or more attractive. There's a very small number of people who would be qualified to take on the job. 

We are certainly nowhere as bad as England and I think in the main Scotland / Clarke have had very fair media and punditry in the tournament. 

Perhaps notable that some of the most successful & long serving national team managers in my memory are 'institution guys' who worked their through the set up as development coach, assistant coach, head coach. Craig Brown, Gareth Southgate, Jochaim Lowe spring to mind. 

Was this because they were specifically suited to this role or was it because they were seen as unfashionable so big clubs tried to tempt them away with a big salary and they got an extended period of time to learn the job. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

Regardless of whether the manager can accept criticism or deal with scrutiny, it doesn't make the job any easier or more attractive. There's a very small number of people who would be qualified to take on the job. 

We are certainly nowhere as bad as England and I think in the main Scotland / Clarke have had very fair media and punditry in the tournament. 

Perhaps notable that some of the most successful & long serving national team managers in my memory are 'institution guys' who worked their through the set up as development coach, assistant coach, head coach. Craig Brown, Gareth Southgate, Jochaim Lowe spring to mind. 

Was this because they were specifically suited to this role or was it because they were seen as unfashionable so big clubs tried to tempt them away with a big salary and they got an extended period of time to learn the job. 

The job is very attractive to lots of coach's, I don't think we would have any trouble at all attracting any number of successful foreign managers.

Other international teams smaller than us can no problem.

We're not going to get anywhere here we simply disagree on how attractive the job is. It's unlikely either of us are going to persuade the other so maybe we just leave it there 🤝

Edited by Bing.McCrosby