Reason for horrible exit: lack of quality or overly-defensive tactics?

Reason for horrible exit: lack of quality or overly-defensive tactics?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Their managers will have sussed out our style of play

Doesn't matter since we didn't even try to play like how we did for the successful big games in the qualifiers.

1 hour ago, Pocketman said:

Mentally weak cowards

FTFT

To be fair we were one refereeing decision away from qualifying.

It may have been dull to watch but we were 4th seeds in the group for a reason. Injuries killed us. I think we needed to have the bulk of the first team squad fit to be able to play more on the front foot - with Ralston at RWB and no Tierney the back three formation was toothless - our replacements are just not up to this level and I'm not sure we have good enough wide forward players to go to a 4-3-3 without neutralising Robertson who was our main threat. We played a back 4 away against Ukraine but that was very much a backs to the wall performance.

The wild move might have been to bring in Christie and move McTominay back to RCB providing forward surges but he's our main goal threat.  

3 hours ago, TeeMan said:

It may have been dull to watch but we were 4th seeds in the group for a reason. Injuries killed us. I think we needed to have the bulk of the first team squad fit to be able to play more on the front foot - with Ralston at RWB and no Tierney the back three formation was toothless - our replacements are just not up to this level and I'm not sure we have good enough wide forward players to go to a 4-3-3 without neutralising Robertson who was our main threat. We played a back 4 away against Ukraine but that was very much a backs to the wall performance.

The wild move might have been to bring in Christie and move McTominay back to RCB providing forward surges but he's our main goal threat.  

If the penalty was given we don't know what would have happened. So it's not quite that simple.

All we can assess is the things within our control, like tactics and lack of ambition.

Oh? So if the foul was given we'd have automatically been given a goal and the game would have immediately ended?

Ryan Christie’s latest instagram post just highlights the Shitebag attitude Clarke has instilled in that squad. “Don’t be sad because it’s over, smile because it happened”. Birthday. Caird. Pish. f**k all to smile about after that tournament. 

15 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

If the penalty was given we don't know what would have happened. So it's not quite that simple.

All we can assess is the things within our control, like tactics and lack of ambition.

True, obviously, but Clarke plays to keep it tight and take chances which were the tactics that got us to the Euros and imho gave us a chance to qualify up to the 100th minute of the final game. It's on Clarke we didn't have a plan B but I think that he was hamstrung by injuries to some of our important players and the fact that the backups are not good enough.

FTFY

The wild move would have been to play a back four v. Hungary 

1 minute ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I believe the absence of injured players was a factor 

Cmon ewan, we were missing really 1 first choice player and his back up. Adding either wouldn't have suddenly made us engage and try and play football like every other team.

2 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

True, obviously, but Clarke plays to keep it tight and take chances which were the tactics that got us to the Euros and imho gave us a chance to qualify up to the 100th minute of the final game. It's on Clarke we didn't have a plan B but I think that he was hamstrung by injuries to some of our important players and the fact that the backups are not good enough.

I'd say plays to keep it tight is a major understatement.

Watching Georgia tonight and thinking about that night in the rain at Hampden. Imagine at the end of that night, four wins in, being told that Georgia were going further in this competition than we were.

Edited by allyo

5 minutes ago, allyo said:

Watching Georgia tonight and thinking about that night in the rain at Hampden. Imagine at the end of that night, four wins in, being told that Georgia were going further in this competition than we were.

Once again, teams like Georgia are playing like they’ll never play at a tournament like this again and playing like their lives depended on it and going for it - while we, the massive shitebags we were and Steve Clarke is, completely let the whole thing pass us by due to shitey negative tactics and attitude. We were an absolute disgrace and every game I watch it pisses me off more and more. What a total waste of time us turning up was.

In 3 years, Wily Sagnol has turned perennial also rans with 3 good players into a team that have qualified from a group stage at a major tournement.

In the same time span, Clarke has turned a bunch of underchievers who embarrasingly scrape a single point at a major tournament into a slightly older bunch of underachievers who embarrasingly scrape a single point at a major tournament.

Edited by Gordon EF

14 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

In 3 years, Wily Sagnol has turned perennial also rans with 3 good players into a team that have qualified from a group stage at a major tournement.

In the same time span, Clarke has turned a bunch of underchievers who embarrasingly scrape a single point at a major tournament into a slightly older bunch of underachievers who embarrasingly scrape a single point at a major tournament.

Aye but does he have the correct SFA coaching badges?