Player Development and National Team Progress

Piehutt

Facilities have got to play a part. Specifically, indoor facilities. I know there are a few places like Ravenscraig and Toryglen around the country but there aren't enough for a country with our climate. I coach 2017s and u8 girls and it's mental that we ask these kids to be outdoors in Scotland for 90% of the year, or if we can get indoors its generally in gym with a wooden floor, so less than ideal. How much can it really cost to throw up a big byre and lay a decent artificial pitch?

I was speaking to a parent who grew up in Peru and he says that literally every village there has an indoor facility. He reckoned that communities basically built these things themselves, with materials being donated by businesses and work being done by the community. I can imagine planning and building control over here might have something to say about that but surely if football being our national sport is anything other than a meaningless line in a newspaper report it shouldn't be beyond us as a country to be able to do similar?

2 hours ago, Dan Electro said:

Yes, I was born there myself. However, bands actually rehearsing in the town included The Vaselines, The Soup Dragons, Teenage Fanclub, The BMX Bandits and Captain America/Eugenious sued by Marvel Comics. A disproportionate amount from, in a global perspective, a small town.

I grew up in Ayrshire, yet half the kids at my school were also born in Bellshill. More recently, my mate and I found ourselves reminiscing about Bandits gigs at the Hattonrig on the way back from the (now rather indicative) Norn Iron clusterfuck. 

3 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Weirdly I think mobile phones have alot to do with young kids drinking less, In our day you could get drunk and make a total arse of yourself and it was quickly forgotten. These days everything's filmed so kids don't want to get out of control and have it recorded for everyone.

That's actually a fair point, and one that I haven't considered.  

1 hour ago, azazel said:

Facilities have got to play a part. Specifically, indoor facilities. I know there are a few places like Ravenscraig and Toryglen around the country but there aren't enough for a country with our climate.

It's bonkers that we only have 3 or 4 of these type of complexes about. It's my view that every big town should have 1 of these, and that our big cities should at least have a couple. It's embarrassing that places such as Stirling, Dunfermline, Airdrie, Dundee, Perth etc etc do not have an Oriam/Ravenscriag/Toryglen type complex on their doorstep.

4 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

That's actually a fair point, and one that I haven't considered.  

It's bonkers that we only have 3 or 4 of these type of complexes about. It's my view that every big town should have 1 of these, and that our big cities should at least have a couple. It's embarrassing that places such as Stirling, Dunfermline, Airdrie, Dundee, Perth etc etc do not have an Oriam/Ravenscriag/Toryglen type complex on their doorstep.

As well as the ones you’ve said, you’ve got full size ones in Dundee and Aberdeen and smaller sized ones in Glenrothes, Irvine, Dingwall, Lerwick and Stornoway off the top of my head. Could be more that I’m not thinking of.

Could definitely use more though. 

1 hour ago, azazel said:

Facilities have got to play a part. Specifically, indoor facilities. I know there are a few places like Ravenscraig and Toryglen around the country but there aren't enough for a country with our climate. I coach 2017s and u8 girls and it's mental that we ask these kids to be outdoors in Scotland for 90% of the year, or if we can get indoors its generally in gym with a wooden floor, so less than ideal. How much can it really cost to throw up a big byre and lay a decent artificial pitch?

I was speaking to a parent who grew up in Peru and he says that literally every village there has an indoor facility. He reckoned that communities basically built these things themselves, with materials being donated by businesses and work being done by the community. I can imagine planning and building control over here might have something to say about that but surely if football being our national sport is anything other than a meaningless line in a newspaper report it shouldn't be beyond us as a country to be able to do similar?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/fife/380796/ready-for-kick-off-construction-to-start-on-glenrothes-football-academy/

Approx. £2.3 million back in 2017. We use that one in Glenrothes for friendly games over the winter and it’s excellent. 

More indoor pitches is definitely the way forward in a country with Scotland’s climate.

Edited by Scary Bear

On 26/06/2024 at 12:00, Piehutt said:

Scotland squad fails the eye test in terms of having no exciting attacking players OR any depth whatsoever.

Apologies for a late response on this. David Turnbull was absolute dynamite for Motherwell; his statistics point to this. 

At the risk of being red dotted, I'm unsure whether Celtic 'broke him' or not. I simply don't follow that club. He won both Young Player of the Years; media and peers, either side of his transfer.

Whilst lurking, few here were advocating Turnbull for a call up to the squad. (From memory, one of the BBC pundits had him listed).

I'm of the age where I recall Norman Whiteside being, at the time, the second youngest player to appear in a World Cup finals, after Pele; 17. Whilst through, again, claret and amber tinted glasses, why Max Johnston wasn't in Germany, seems, in hindsight, somewhat short-sighted. Outside the Celtic crowd, whom else gained a champion's medal last season?

In other words, if you're good enough, you're old enough.....