Tentbox

30 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Not sure if right place but asking the question. Has anyone got one of these? How are they? Can you basically pitch up anywhere with one? Could you make a cheaper alternative yourself? Cheers

Not recommended.

OIP (51).jpeg

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That must slow you down a bit.

Quite handy to be honest. Mrs Mullarkey can pop out the window, onto the ladder and up into the box for her Senior Service King Size fix without me stopping the car. 

I've got a roof tent for my camper. Not a Tent box but similar to the one in the pics above. Decent for the kids as they are a bit older now and want a bit of privacy but still want to come away with me. Can set it up in about 5 minutes and put it away in about 10. Apparently it does sway a bit if there's any wind though. 

On 20/08/2024 at 21:00, Rockhopper said:

What a bizarre para. from that article - if it had said 'opened his curtains' it would've made more sense! 

Chris Philip, who works as an ambulance technician, opened his Facebook after he woke up on Thursday, May 2 to find his tent box had also been stolen. He is now considering leaving the city for good.

• 2 weeks later...

We're looking at possibly getting one for next year. Much easier to drive somewhere further from Ayr to do a hill and just camp than making a long drive back or pay ever increasing ridiculous hotel prices.

We went to the cycle shop in Killie that is now a tent box dealer to see a couple of them. Saw the Cargo which is the most expensive in the Tentbox brand. Weird shape but pretty rugged and up and down in seconds. Also the classic which is the rectangular one. I much preferred this. Bit bigger and more room inside. Also up and down quickly as it uses gas struts.

One thing you will need to look out for is your cars static roof load limit. My other half has a jeep renegade and it's static weight is 70kg. The Classic weighs 66kg and the Cargo 74. Kg. So by the time we add decent roof bars to hold the tent box on both of these aren't ideal

This leaves us the Lite which takes a bit longer to get up and down(the wedged shaped orange one above)or the brand new Tentbox Go which was just released last week. Both much lighter than the Cargo and Classic.

We're going to Peebles in a few weeks and hopefully we'll see the other 2 as we're planning to nip into Calders Cars in East Calder as they're the other Tentbox dealers. 

Quite a few brands about though. Ventura seem to be the other ones we've seen a few of around 

Edited by davidkennedyshand