Elgin City v Spartans - Tue 17/09

First post on P&B ever - rather than dive straight into pages-long ad hominems and Kenneth William gifs, I thought I'd be of use, for once, and start a thread about the hottest game! in Scottish League Two! tomorrow night, seeing as none exists yet.

The strange novelty of watching the same L2 team twice in the same week, at this latitude, against vastly different teams, at very different grounds, is too much to pass up, so I'll be attending Borough Briggs for the first time since early January, ahead of the cup match at Pittodrie at the weekend.

Elgin have had an impressive start to the season - I'm keen to see both the loan loons fae Killie. Along with the exciting Gallagher signing, it's probably a very good time to get back along to my nearest SFL club's games.

In honesty, this is / these are the first time(s) I will ever be watching Spartans so I'd be hard pushed to comment on the team but it's clear they're good enough to battle through to the current round of the League Cup so, barring a home arse-collapse, it's going to be a close one.

Prediction: a 2-1 win for EC, but a nervy one. I predict I will see a good few more away fans on Saturday at Pittodrie than there will be tomorrow. Although, if there are folk coming up for it, the warm spell in "Scotland's least rainy town" is forecast to continue, 22° during the day, so it's likely the last chance of the year to leave the huge muckle jaikit at hame for fitba at night. Great stuff!

(Probably) stupid question for fellow Moravians on here: How am I get in? Cash on the gate do the trick?

I've been right through Elgin's Fanbase site and there are absolutely no tickets available, on there, for this. I can't think of any reason except the fact it's a midweek match ..not that that makes sense either

I was away on Saturday so I'm gutted I missed that last few minutes. Those late goals will hopefully give us a real boost. Spartans are possibly our toughest test so far in the league. Their league form has been mixed but they've recruited really well after a very strong season last year and their cup results show the quality they have. Hopefully the long journey midweek and the potential distraction of their game at Pittodrie on Saturday give us an advantage.

I thought we maybe just edged it but a low scoring draw is probably pretty reflective of how that game went. Both teams were comfortable in possession without looking like creating much, especially in the first half. The second was more entertaining.

Sargeant should've scored with the best chance of the first half but I thought he was pretty lively and justified his start. Draper was very good again. Glavin looked a bit flappy at crosses and I'm not sure about the goal he conceded (I'd need to see it back) but made a good save from Ritchie near the end. Dajon isn't firing just now, last season he beat his man 80% of the time but in recent weeks he's rarely been able to hold onto the ball without being dispossesed. Hopefully a goal comes soon and gives him a boost. I'm running out of superlatives for Jack Murray. An outstanding player who we've done very well to bring to the club.

9 hours ago, afca32 said:

I thought we maybe just edged it but a low scoring draw is probably pretty reflective of how that game went. Both teams were comfortable in possession without looking like creating much, especially in the first half. The second was more entertaining.

Sargeant should've scored with the best chance of the first half but I thought he was pretty lively and justified his start. Draper was very good again. Glavin looked a bit flappy at crosses and I'm not sure about the goal he conceded (I'd need to see it back) but made a good save from Ritchie near the end. Dajon isn't firing just now, last season he beat his man 80% of the time but in recent weeks he's rarely been able to hold onto the ball without being dispossesed. Hopefully a goal comes soon and gives him a boost. I'm running out of superlatives for Jack Murray. An outstanding player who we've done very well to bring to the club.

Came on to type pretty much the same as all your points! Thought our back 3 were excellent again. They seem to compliment each other so well. what i would give to have a prime Shane Sutherland in this team. Think the way we play would suit him perfectly and a focal point in attack is all we are missing  from being a very decent side just now. 

A good point though I would say against a side that will finish in the top 3 i would say.

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

Came on to type pretty much the same as all your points! Thought our back 3 were excellent again. They seem to compliment each other so well. what i would give to have a prime Shane Sutherland in this team. Think the way we play would suit him perfectly and a focal point in attack is all we are missing  from being a very decent side just now. 

A good point though I would say against a side that will finish in the top 3 i would say.

I thought Draper might be used more sparingly this season with Murray and Girvan (who I thought would be mostly used as a centre half) coming in but he's been excellent. Dolzanski has been our most consistent player since Hale came in IMO. Rarely loses a header and seems to make an absurd amount of last ditch tackles when others have slipped up.