The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

The lurkers are still lurking going by this:-

Leeds Fans CBS, a fan initiative raising money with a view to purchasing a stake in Leeds United, today updated it’s shareholders with a progress report in which they revealed knowledge of interest from several groups who’ll be ready to move should Massimo Cellino decide to sell the club.

Among them, energy drink manufacturer Red Bull is said be interested, despite previously denying they were planning to purchase the club.

In the newsletter, Leeds Fans CBS claim Red Bull admitted to a journalist that Ralf Rangnick – the sporting director for Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig – has watched Leeds United five times since January.

It’s a rumour that just won’t go away and one that heavily divides Leeds United fans due to the rebranding job they’ve done on clubs elsewhere. Leeds Fans CBS said they understand Red Bull won’t alter the colours, name or location for three years should they takeover Leeds United, which suggests they recognise the strength of feeling towards their hypothetical rebranding of the club, but if a three-year guarantee is the best they can offer, it’s unlikely to sway those opposed.

Massimo Cellino has outlined his ambitions for the club and says that he intends to increase the wage bill in order to bring players to Elland Road this summer.

The United chairman, who rejoined the board a month ago following Football League approval, has also spoke for the first time since the appointment of head coach Uwe Rosler.

“People told me Leeds was a sleeping giant, but when I came here, the giant was dead,” he said in an interview with the Daily Mirror.

“So why did I choose Leeds? I bought Leeds because I know they are better than many Premier League clubs.

“I could have bought Premier League clubs for less money than I am spending at Leeds - I want the fans to understand that.

“When we go into the Premier League, we will go into the Premier League to get to the Champions League. We will not go into the Premier League to pay our debts. We will not go into the Premier League to be relegated.”

On the club’s financial situation, he added: “When I first came in, I had to pay £5million just to keep the club going.

“By the end of last season, we had lost £22million. Now the forecast is that we are close to break even.

“We also had big wages last year. Nearly £21m in wages and we had an average age of 29.

"Now we have brought it down to £10.5m, but we have to attract new players, so it will go up to £13m and the average age is now 23.”

Rosler took charge last month after penning a two-year deal at Elland Road, and Mr Cellino says the former Wigan and Brentford boss fits the bill perfectly.

“I wanted someone who is a good, experienced coach in the Championship,” he said.

“Uwe is German, but he knows England and how to get foreign players used to playing here.

“He’s a very well-organised guy. He suits my mentality because I like to have control of everything.

“A coach with good potential can realise his potential if the club is strong to look after him. If you leave him alone too much, it can kill him.

“Why does he have to buy? He should propose [deals to the owner]. That is the big mistake they make in England.

"We have to work together, we share the responsibility. If we choose a player together and we make a mistake, it is our mistake, not his.
Edited by Glasgow Loon

Cellino fined by italian court today:-

Leeds United owner Massimo Cellino has been fined £28.5k by an Italian Court today for non payment of taxes for a Range Rover he imported from the USA to Sardinia.
Despite the fine he was however found not guilty of customs violations.
So what was the background to the case?
The prosecution accused Cellino of importing the car from America without him paying around £11.5k in VAT and import duties. Cagliari court judge Sandra Lepore, who successfully prosecuted him for non payment of taxes on a yacht called Nelie last year which led to a ban from owning the club by the Football League, ruled on this case as well and fined him almost £30k today. Cellino denied any wrongdoing but the claims of the public prosecutor Andrea Massidda were completely upheld.
Will he be banned again?
As always it seems the picture is less than clear. The report in online Italian paper unionesarda.it also says Cellino, who was defended by his lawyers Giovanni Cocco and Giuseppe Accardi, was acquitted of customs violations because estimates of the Range Rover's value fall below the threshold of criminal liability. So it seems he has been fined for tax evasion but found not guilty of a criminal offence.
I have contacted the club to see if this affects his ownership status and the message back was that it seemed unlikely. Cellino was relaxed I'm told but no statement is expected from Utd.
I've also asked the Football league whether this failure to pay tax means he falls foul again of the Owners and Directors test which could lead to a year's ban. The Football League say they will review the relevant documentation before commenting on today's fine.
It may be that we again have to wait for the judge's longer written verdict like last time which may or may not show that he dishonestly evaded tax.
If he is in the clear will that be the end of the legal battles for him and the prospect of a ban?
The charge heard in this morning's trial is identical, according to the report, to that relating to two criminal charges against Cellino for the import of two boats.
The first boat Nelie I've mentioned and he has been ordered to pay a fine of £426k. That case continues. He was disqualifed from running the club for that until he was allowed to return at the end of last season.
Cellino is also accused of avoiding tax of around £60k on a yacht called Lucky 23. The next stage of that case in October after the prosection was heard earlier this month.
Meanwhile on September 14 its understood that Cellino, along with others, has to appear in court regarding an investigation into the construction of the IS Arenas stadium in Cagliari.
Those charges include corruption, attempted corruption, unauthorised construction and non-compliance with a public authority order.
I've just heard this too that another trial concerning the transfers of former Cagliari players Edgar Alvarez and Joe Bizera is now due to open 16 Oct, same day Lucky 23 resumes. It concerns an issue over £530,000 of taxes going back to 2007. The prosecution has dropped a case concerning a thrid Cagliari player David Suazo.
Don't forget he also faces FA investigation over the alleged 3rd party ownership of Adryan who was on loan to Leeds United last year from Flamengo and also the possible illegal payment to an unlicensed agent in the sale of Ross McCormack to Fulham
So the obstacles to his continued running of the club are far from overcome it would seem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...