The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has confirmed that the club are seeking advice regarding a compensation claim, following the settlement'of the Carlos Tevez affair.

Sheffield United, who were relegated from the Premiership in 2007, have reached an out of court settlement with West Ham United regarding the involvement of Tevez during the latter stages of the 2006/07 season.

The Sheffield club had argued that Tevez was ineligible to play and an independent hearing ruled in favour of their claim for compensation, following relegation, from West Ham. The figure awarded to the Blades has not been disclosed publicly.

Sheffield United's relegation in 2007 saw Leeds United miss out on contingency payments in relation to Premiership survival for the transfers of Rob Hulse, Matthew Kilgallon, and Ian Bennett.

"We sold a number of players to Sheffield United with contingencies," the chairman told Yorkshire Radio. "When they got relegated on the last day of the season we missed out on a substantial sum.

"That's what we lost and if they are being compensated for their loss we believe we should be compensated for our loss.

"There are other clubs in the same boat who have similar claims.

"Ours is the biggest claim and it would be nice to collect that and strengthen our squad.

"We are currently taking advice on it and won't be commenting further at this time."

Good to see uncle ken trying to get money out of the TEVEZ affair.

He will do anything to get money for Leeds rather than put in his own money i would say.

Very optimistic that you will reach the play off's then eh

Now for the final we all want, Millwall v Leeds :lol::lol:

You will note I said 'should we get there'. ;) It seems automatic promotion is out of reach now.

Could do with Millwall taking a point off MK dons tonight just the same.

Did you watch that documentary about Leeds v Millwall a few weeks ago? Madness!

I went down to Cardiff v Leeds a few seasons back. I've never seen so many police at a game in my life. We got on a bus at Elland Road at 7am and the bus was directed to a service station just outside Cardiff so the police could board all the buses and give us our match tickets individually! Then they herded us into the ground at 12.45 for a 3pm kick-off! Luckily there was a bar in the away end. :D

Edited by we are perth

Peter Sweeney away to :-

Midfielder Peter Sweeney has joined Grimsby Town on loan until the end of the season.

The former Millwall and Stoke man put pen to paper with the League Two club on Friday lunchtime, and he will be thrust straight into their battle for Football League survival.

The 24-year-old joined Leeds in January 2008 when he was signed by Dennis Wise, his former manager at Millwall.

Sweeney, who made his debut at Crewe, made nine appearances last season, but only started two games after Wise departed and Gary McAllister took over.

He was part of the first team squad on the pre-season tour of Ireland last summer, but he hasn't made a league appearance this term, and his appearances have been limited to eight in the reserves.

The former Scotland under-21 international will join up with ex-United goalkeeper Jonathan Lund, who also joined Grimsby Town on Friday.

Mike Newell's Mariners are currently second from bottom of League Two and after losing to bottom club Luton in midweek, they are one point away from Football League safety.

Another 3pts made it hard as we didnt turn up for the 2nd half by all reports.

Even with 10 men crewe made a fight of it by scoring twice.

Looks like the play offs as 2nd place is outwith our reach i would say.

We're getting that wee bit closer every week though. You never know. ;)

Defender Alan Sheehan has joined Crewe Alexandra on loan until the end of the season.

The former Republic of Ireland international hasn't featured in the United first team since January and has made just three appearances since Simon Grayson was installed as new manager.

Crewe are looking to strengthen for the closing weeks of the League One season, and a deal was agreed on Monday for Alan to join the Gresty Road club.

Ironically, Sheehan is likely to go straight into the Crewe side for Tuesday's game at MK Dons as a direct replacement for Billy Jones, who was sent-off during our 3-2 win at Gresty Road on Saturday.

Sheehan could also come up against another of our promotion rivals on Saturday when Crewe entertain Millwall.

Sheehan becomes the second senior player to move out on loan, following Peter Sweeney's link-up with Grimsby Town at the end of last week.

No surprise he has gone on loan as with parker and white also left backs we had one to many.

New loan centre half from reading taken from the OS:-

Reading central defender Sam Sodje has joined Leeds United on loan.

The 29-year-old defender has joined in an initial deal until April 25, but with an option to extend for the remainder of the season, including any potential Play-Off matches.

The Nigerian international joined Reading almost three years ago after making over a century of appearances for Brentford. He was named in the PFA Team of the Year for the 2005/06 season.

Since joining the Royals he has had loan spells at Charlton, West Brom, and Watford.

The arrival of Sodje will provide additional cover and competition at the back for United.

Rui Marques suffered a hamstring injury at Crewe last weekend, and the new loan recruit could come into contention for the weekend clash against MK Dons.

Thursday March 26 is the deadline for loan signings, although existing loan deals can be extended after this date.

New loan centre half from reading taken from the OS:-

Reading central defender Sam Sodje has joined Leeds United on loan.

Was at game on Saturday, not being a Leeds or MK dons fan just fancied it. Sodje had an absolute blinder never missed a thing but was taken off with what looked like a nasty strain.

I have to say I was very impressed with Leeds, played some fantastic football at times and Beckford looks a real find.

27,000 there too and a superb atmosphere. However there were some absolutely scary looking Leeds fans, we walked into a city centre pub at about 12:30 and the whole place was decked out in burberry caps and Stone Island gear. As we walked in the whole place turned and stared at us (I know we were from Berwick but we surely don't look that odd? :lol: ) and this was a Wetherspoons boozer. Anyway we put it down to bad luck. However on the shuttle bus on the way back to city bus was the same, some very nasty looks from one guy in paticular whilst another was discussing seig heiling (sp) in Krakow town centre.

Anyway must say I enjoyed my first visit to Elland Road I'll just stay out of the boozers next time.