Help Please!

I'm getting an Error message when my settings are loading, in a window named "RUNDLL". The message is "Error Loading C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.dll " " The specified module could not be found"

I can get into the Internet ok and find web sites ok, but if I click on a link the PC freezes, with the hour-glass cursor, for a few minutes then resumes at the original page as if nothing had happened.

Any suggestions in plain English, preferably with a step by step idiot's guide, would be much appreciated!

( Please don't tell me I'm going to have to resort to my installation disc!)

Windows XP Home Edition, BTW.

Rundll errors usually mean the host site has a problem, what sites and how often does it happen? Its not serious, a re-install won't be needed! :rolleyes:

It happens everytime I boot up and go into my user settings, or if I switch users, before I even open the Internet explorer. My PC is set up with 5 users and it affects them all.

Sorry i got confused, a runtime error is what i was thinking, chances are you have just deleted a critical system file and it needs replacing, have you had a hoax email lately asking you to delete a file if you find it as its a dormant virus or something?

I think you can stick in the XP disc to replace it but not 100% on that, anyone else? Or i would write down the exact error and put it on here or run it through Google and see what you find

No hoax e-mails or intentional deleting of files. I have however recently installed Norton antivirus and used it to delete infected files. I wouldn't have thought I'd have been allowed to delete critical files.

The exact error message is in quotes in my original post.

It's been suggested, as you say. that I could restore the file from the XP disc, but the procedure, including where to install the file, are, I'm told, possibly problematic, and not something my limited knowledge fills me with confidence about tackling.

Thanks any way Taz - anybody else??

From a quick google it looks like spyware (http://computercops.biz/postt14722.html) or (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29712). There's lots of threads on getting rid of spyware already, a quick browse through them should sort you out. In short run adaware/spybot to find and remove it

I'm getting an Error message when my settings are loading, in a window named "RUNDLL". The message is "Error Loading C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.dll "    " The specified module could not be found"

I can get into the Internet ok and find web sites ok, but if I click on a link the PC freezes, with the hour-glass cursor, for a few minutes then resumes at the original page as if nothing had happened.

Any suggestions in plain English, preferably with a step by step idiot's guide, would be much appreciated!

( Please don't tell me I'm going to have to resort to my installation disc!)

Windows XP Home Edition, BTW.

I have just dealt with this exact problem. Here's what I did.

This message started appearing after I had run an ad-aware scan. I assume you have ad-aware? Basically this problem arises when ad-aware removes some kind of "malware" and whatever remains of the malware in the registry cannot now function.

What I did, was to post a message on the lavasoft users forum, asking how to get rid of this. They gave me an idiot's guide, step by step to removing it. It's a very simple process, involving posting a scan log onto the website, then using a notebook merge to repair the bridge, but I would recommend you do what I did, and they'll explain it. It's nothing to worry about.

I have just dealt with this exact problem. Here's what I did.

This message started appearing after I had run an ad-aware scan. I assume you have ad-aware? Basically this problem arises when ad-aware removes some kind of "malware" and whatever remains of the malware in the registry cannot now function.

What I did, was to post a message on the lavasoft users forum, asking how to get rid of this. They gave me an idiot's guide, step by step to removing it. It's a very simple process, involving posting a scan log onto the website, then using a notebook merge to repair the bridge, but I would recommend you do what I did, and they'll explain it. It's nothing to worry about.

Nope, don't have ad-aware (to the best of my knowledge), so lavasoft won't be much use to me, I suspect. Unless Norton has done something similar! I'll try consulting my remote colleague who recommended Norton to me :angry:

Scan log? Notebook merge? repair the bridge? FFS, JP, I asked for plain english! :lol:

Seriously, I'm out of my depth, (doesn't take much)!

Thanks for trying

Okay:

Step 1. Go to http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910...page&tag=button

Step 2. Dowload ad-aware.

Step 3. Run a full scan of your computer.

Step 4. Do not remove anything yet.

Step 5. Running a scan will create a log - a diagnostic of all the crap on your computer that you don't want to be there.

Step 6. Open this log, select all and copy it.

Step 7. Register at http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Step 8. Tell them what your problem is, and post your log. They will give you a step-by-step guide as to how to sort this issue. Ad-aware WILL GET RID OF IT, believe me.

Archived