Euro 2004 Has Been Quite Pish!

Guest sons1872

Guest sons1872

In my opinion I think this European championship has been pish so far. Most of the games are boring to watch accept a few (mainly Sweden's games). Hopefully the quarter-finals will lighten up the tournament a bit. None of the big guns have put out good convincing performance yet.

I totally agree. Some of these so called superstars pick up fortunes for their clubs but most have been absolute pish at this, the highest level (well ok maybe the second highest after the world cup :P ) :rolleyes:

Guest John McVeigh
Like watching Morton at times. <_<

there is a joke about the Czechs betting on Germany to get through to the next round then fielding a weakened team, but I can't think of it. :lol::P:P:lol:

Here's my attempt at breaking down the games i've seen into good vs bad games. So far the good games are outweighing the bad ones by 14-6. Therfore this tournament recieves a score of 70% thus far. Not bad. :D

Good games:

France v England

France v Croatia

England v Croatia (it was an entertaining game)

Italy v Denmark

Sweden v Bulgaria

Italy v Sweden

Italy v Bulgaria

Denmark v Sweden

Czech Rep v Latvia

Czech Rep v Holland

Portugal v Greece

Spain v Russia

Spain v Greece

Spain v Portugal

Bad games:

Switzerland v Croatia

Switzerland v England

Denmark v Bulgaria

Germany v Holland

Germany v Latvia

Portugal v Russia

I always used to think that the standard of crossing in continental football was lousy. But it isn't, it's better than in this country. It's just international teams know how to defend crosses. I think the standard of crossing in this tournament has been the best I have ever seen.

It reminds me of olden commentary when they used to say "these foreigners can't shoot".

And the tournament has been outstanding, possibly because most of the teams are much of a muchness.

Crosses have either been hit to the first defender (who then doesn't have to do a hellluva lot to prevent a goalscoring chance) or put over everyone's heads.

Like our corners last season (and I know the main culprit).

AT

International tournaments are always going to be pish if Scotland aren't in it!

Yep.

Dunno what the Italians are bleating about - if that happened to Scotland it would be considered "par for the course, but exciting".

AT

Yep.

Dunno what the Italians are bleating about - if that happened to Scotland it would be considered "par for the course, but exciting".

AT

It's actually par for the course for the italians really

world cup 2002 lost to golden goal

euro 2000 lost final to golden goal

france 98 lost on penalties

euro 96 went out after a last minute goal in the group stages in another match

usa 94 lost final on pens

they should be used to hard luck stories by now! even more so than us!

It's actually par for the course for the italians really

they should be used to hard luck stories by now! even more so than us!

The difference being that they expect to win and go berserk when they go out at any stage prior to the colection of the trophy.

We simply say "Aw no, not again!" and go and get pissed anyway. :lol:

AT

The difference being that they expect to win and go berserk when they go out at any stage prior to the colection of the trophy.

We simply say "Aw no, not again!" and go and get pissed anyway. :lol:

AT

if scotland had suffered those results at those stages of competition i'm sure we'd be pretty pissed off by now.

we will never get that close hence the lets get pissed and have a laugh attitude. ;)

This has been the best tournament in my lifetime i think. The Holland game on Saturday was one of the best games I have ever seen. There have been countless other great games also. Maybees it seems better for me as I was actually in Portugal, and England are doing well, but I still think its been great.

This has been the best tournament in my lifetime i think. The Holland game on Saturday was one of the best games I have ever seen. There have been countless other great games also. Maybees it seems better for me as I was actually in Portugal, and England are doing well, but I still think its been great.

:lol::D:lol::lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

AT

It has happened to us. In Euro '96 we went out on goals scored cause the crap English keeper let a trundler from some Dutchman go through his legs. :angry: Fix it was, a fix I say! :lol:

This has been the best tournament in my lifetime i think. The Holland game on Saturday was one of the best games I have ever seen.

You obviously didn't see Spain v Yugoslavia in Euro 2000 then. It had...

A last minute equaliser

An injury time winner

Fan invading the park trying to land one on the ref

Red card, and the 10 man team going 3-2 up

Several running battles between players

Spain playing like 70s Brazil for about 20 minutes

Two peach goals at the start of the 2nd half

Yugo losing 4-3 and still qualifying

The entire Spanish contingent in a massive heap on top of Mendieta

The Norwegians gutted after thinking that their 0-0 draw had been enough

Still THE best game ever on telly this decade. ;)

AT

Archived