Doesn't Anyone Else Think...

Ric

I've been taking pelters from my friends for showing some sympathy for England and their Euro exit. Don't get me wrong, I am a lot happier they are on their way home, and I can only hope that the media down South now start to actually take interest in the players/games rather than rattle off 90 minutes of "Englo-stats".

However, surely a lack lustre performance after going ahead only to conceed two cracking goals due to defending deep, having a goal disallowed and one cleared off the line in the meantime only to lose to penalties with the ultimate slap in the face being the keeper scoring the winner. Doesn't that sound like the way the Scots (Welsh/Irish) would exit a tournament?

Welcome to British sport, England. You are welcome (your media ain't though!).

How was the exit "Scottish-like"? Scotland have never played in the knockout stages of any tournament. And I doubt they have ever even got to a stage where extra time and penalties become relevent.

I am more optimistic about the English team now than I have been since 1996. I think we could have a few great tournaments ahead of us with the talent coming through. And as for Scotland, I also think they are on the up. At least there are some decent players as a base for the squad. McFadden, Ferguson, Fletcher....

I have to agree with BerwickMad. Their exit wasn't Scottish at all. A Scottish exit is usualy just as painfull but we usually do really well or beat a very good team then lose to a bunch of milkmen from Algeria. Then go out of goal difference or goals scored. We don't usually make up a ton of excuses, we're just frustrated.

England beat two rubbish teams, lost (albeit unfortunately for them) to France then went out to a far superior (on the night) Portugal team on penalties. Everything from luck to mysterious moving penalty spots to dirty little foreign refs who all stick together has been blamed. Just when they thought it was going to be England's year.

I think BM's assesment of England's and Scotland's future is pretty good too. We are looking in much better shape than we have done for a while. We have some very good young players in the full team and one of the best u-21 sides in Europe. However, I'm not that sure about England. I think a lot of very important players will be past their prime in Germany. Beckham, Neville, Campbell. Rooney looks like a decent prospect but I'm always wary of players who don't turn it on against the better sides. The fact is that England came up against 2 good international sides and lost to both. Although I'm not sure bout their young players and if they have any good ones coming through.

Not very often we agree Gordon :D

But as for your point on the important players we may miss in 2 years time, Campbell is the only player i would worry about. As for Beckham, he can retire now if he wants. Never liked him, never will. Massivly over rated. Neville isnt really that good anyway and the only reason he plays is lack of other options i think. He is a solid player mind. But even with Campbell out, i would be very optimistic with Woodgate and Ferdinand at the back

I suppose Ferdinand will be back.

Neville may not be great but unless a good young right back pops up in the next few years, that will be a problem area. I think Beckham is vastly over-rated too. But he has still been England's most important player for the past few years. How many crucial goals have come form his set pieces? And you get the impression that it's him who gets the team fired up. He was pish poor at Euro2004.

Gerrard and Lampard are posted missing far too often and I persoannly think Owen is a spent force. It was obvious that once injury took it's toll on his legs that he would not be the same player.

I'm not just ripping into England but I think they hype themselves far too much, which is why they can never beleive it when they go out. I think sometimes we start to beleive it too, which is why some Scots get so worried that England will actually win something.

If you take a step back and look at England's squad, it's pretty ordianry, which is what I said when the squad was announced on an earlier thread. If you look at the Portugal performance tonight or the Czech Republic's performances, it's far better than England can hope to do with the current group of players.

They were able to hold off Portugal for so long because they have two big strong centre backs which gave Portugal, with their 4-2-3-1 formation, problems as they don't have a centre forward capable of competing with Campbell and Terry himself. Once Portugal switched to 4-4-2, they looked much more likely to score from the 60 odd % posession they had.

Well guys seems I hit a blank with you lot, but certainly I have had several people agree with me IRL.

BerwickMad you missed my point completely. I wasn't saying it was Scottish-like due to the round they exited in but more the manner. Glorious defeat.

Archived