The Diddy Cup Final

Guest spr

So it's Portugal v Greece, how exciting. Is the final devalued by the absence of the big guns like France, Germany or, ahem, England? :lol: One may have expected Portugal, as the home side, to do well.I thought semis at best for them but here they are in the final. But are the traditional "diddies" like Greece really making great strides forward or is it due to "the worst German/Dutch/French/Italian team in years". Are these superpowers massively over-rated prima donnas poncing about thinking the're invincible cause they believe their own hype (Beckham, Figo, Del Piero, Henry, Davids etc) plus they pick up obscene amounts as wages from their clubs so they become complacent?

We keep hearing from the media that these guys are fantastic players, but most of them have been pish. Is it down to tiredness, burnout?

Or are the standards lower than, say, Euro '96 when Scotland had a decent, hard to beat side? (and eliminated Greece in those qualifiers if you recall) I would have to conclude that indeed, they are.Our current crop of players were not even good enough to eliminate the Germans who were quite dreadful. Are any of you looking forward to the final? Or will it be an afternoon spent gardening or amusing yourself in other ways? :rolleyes:

Guest John McVeigh

surely the fact that both teams made it to the final means that all the others are diddy teams?

Are these superpowers massively over-rated prima donnas poncing about thinking the're invincible cause they believe their own hype (Beckham, Figo, Del Piero, Henry, Davids etc) plus they pick up obscene amounts as wages from their clubs so they become complacent?

Absolutley, these guys are good at the fancy nike adverts, they have plenty money and they play well at club level, but the Greeks have taught them a lesson in hard work and determination, the Greeks are flying the flag for real football in this competition, I look forward to the final and I hope jammy Portugal get humped

Greece play great football and fully deserve their place in the final. They arnt a diddy team. They may not have the best players in the world but they definatly use the players they do have brilliantly. Portugal have some great players and its no surprise they reached the final. Calling it the "diddy" cup final does a dis servise to Greece and Portugal. In my opinion, the standards havent dropped, its just the fact that the so called lesser nations are getting better as the game becomes more popular. Other than Germany, I dont think any teams in this competition are much worse than they were in the last World Cup.

Greece play great football and fully deserve their place in the final. They arnt a diddy team. They may not have the best players in the world but they definatly use the players they do have brilliantly. Portugal have some great players and its no surprise they reached the final. Calling it the "diddy" cup final does a dis servise to Greece and Portugal. In my opinion, the standards havent dropped, its just the fact that the so called lesser nations are getting better as the game becomes more popular. Other than Germany, I dont think any teams in this competition are much worse than they were in the last World Cup.

Greece have been fantastic this tournament, played some nice footie and have nice strips. :D So I want them to win. :P

I can't see anything other than a Portugal win this time. Of course if that happens brace yourself for claims of "that could/should have been England" from our media friends.

Agree with dmton the Greek colours are excellent, wish Stranny would play in all blue like we used to.

Archived