British Olympic Football Team

Should there be a British Olympic football team?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Get tae. Don't care at all how the English get on - why would I want our nation to be combined with theirs? I know FIFA can't wait to get a GB team in... but I prefer our historically-separate nation to remain separate.

our historically-separate nation to remain separate.

Well we've not always been separate nations for starters.

The Olympics is an U23 squad with a few overage players.

I say you get a squad of 20 outfield players - 5 Scots, 5 English, 5 Welsh and 5 North Irish. That way each nation is equally representated in the squad and the team is unlikely to have a heavy imbalance from any nation.

I know real fitba fans hate Rugby (me included) but the British Lions (as they're commonly and inaccurately known) are not a problem because they are a touring team only. I don't think they've played on home soil. People see it as a first step to alamgamation but I don't. Isn't it part of FIFA or UEFA's constitution and rules that there a 4 home nations and between them they get a FIFA or UEFA director?

I'm for it. Young players would get bigger exposure. As long as they go to great lengths to make it feel like it represents the whole of the UK and not just England + a few others.

A "British" team playing in the Olympics would kill the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish national teams.

FIFA wouldn't let us have it both ways. If we had a combined team in the Olympics, they would insist on a similar situation for World Cups and Euro championships.

There is already a lot of countries who think that it is unfair that BRITAIN have four teams in competitions. Ask yourself, would you be prepared to forgo the thrill of watching Scotland just so that we could have a team at the Olympics.

I've voted NO!

Guest No Friends

No - keep us seperate. The team would be flooded with English players and unfair to the other nations. Where would the games beheld - Wembley more than likely - again unfair to the rest. Would the four home nations support a team full of English players? I think not, apart from England. Yes I'm English but support all home countries when they are playing, not like some!

Definately not, Id have no interest in supporting this team and I doubt the majority of Scottish fans would either. Im sure it wouldnt do our case for keeping our own national side any favours either as some people have already noted.

I voted for the only if its made up of Alloa players option though cos Id love to see the Waspies clinch an Olympic gold :lol:

Yeah right....good idea. A Grat Britain Olympic team.....and why stop there what about putting Osama Bin Laden and Saddam in charge of a committe to rid the worlds nuclear weapons.

You know fine well that any squad will be made up of 10 Englishmen and Ryan Giggs. I should know I live down south and that's all I hear from the sassenachs. Have you also thought about the reputation that our fans will get if we support the same team as the English thugs ??? Remember they won't stop to tell which countrys supporters smashed up the pub/restaurant. It's bad enough now when we sometimes get compared cos foreign fans can't tell the differance.

so No back to the drawing board

My greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandad didn't fight those b*****ds off just so we could join up wi' them in Olympic football!! :angry:

Only joking, they know I love them. <_<:rolleyes:

Guest baldfred
Where would the games beheld - Wembley more than likely - again unfair to the rest.

I suspect the games would be held in stadiums that are in/near the city hosting that particular Olympics.

Anyway, the Olympic football tournament is crap and meaningless - I wouldn't have a Scotland team in it, nevermind a UK team.

Britain's won Olympic gold in football before, albeit in the early 1900s.

If the Olympics were as strict about their amateur ideals as maybe they should be, then I'd be for it however if there were a team in the modern Olympics (and the team was selected honestly) then it would be mostly English players + Earnshaw, Giggs and perhaps Fletcher (if it was an English based coach selecting then Fletcher would have more chance of being selected than the rest of the Scotland squad) This would cause mass whining from us Scots and it wouldn't feel very British. If we were to stand a chance of winning anything in the Olympics then a mostly English team would have to be fielded.

So, if the IOC doesn't undergo an extreme u-turn concerning their amateur ideals (thus sacrificing interest in where Professionals do compete ie tennis, football) then a British Olympic football team shouldn't and wouldn't happen.

Archived