Darts...

Sideshow

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to take part in the youth tour?

Free, I think.

Was talking to some lads down here about the costs of the PDC tours. Pay £200 to enter Q School, pay £200 if you qualifyand pay £100 for each of the 2 weekend events. So youve paid £600 before youve thrown a competitive PDC dart, and if you get drawn in a prelim, you have to win 2 matches to win £200. OK, if youre good, and have a good weekend, it can be profitable. But once youve added in travel costs and hotels, its pretty difficult to get going on the PDC tour. In that respect, they are still quite elitist, as it stops any old chucker like you or me playing on their tour. In that respect, BDO ftw.

Free, I think.

Was talking to some lads down here about the costs of the PDC tours. Pay £200 to enter Q School, pay £200 if you qualifyand pay £100 for each of the 2 weekend events. So youve paid £600 before youve thrown a competitive PDC dart, and if you get drawn in a prelim, you have to win 2 matches to win £200. OK, if youre good, and have a good weekend, it can be profitable. But once youve added in travel costs and hotels, its pretty difficult to get going on the PDC tour. In that respect, they are still quite elitist, as it stops any old chucker like you or me playing on their tour. In that respect, BDO ftw.

That's why you really can't get going on the circuit without a really generous sponsor to cover all the outlay's of competing, travelling, hotels etc so that you can just concentrate on playing the game without the extra pressure of not breaking even.

If you are good enough you will make it regardless. The PDC do not own a living to anyone. What darts needs though is to be streamlined, which the BDO shot down when they rejected the bid from Barry Hearn without even getting into any sort of discussion.

Luckily its kinda starting to work out that the BDO is becoming almost like a challenge tour where players can get a bit of experience under their belt before they join the big boys if of course they are good enough.

Edited by Lambies_Apprentice

If you are good enough you will make it regardless. The PDC do not own a living to anyone. What darts needs though is to be streamlined, which the BDO shot down when they rejected the bid from Barry Hearn without even getting into any sort of discussion.

Luckily its kinda starting to work out that the BDO is becoming almost like a challenge tour where players can get a bit of experience under their belt before they join the big boys if of course they are good enough.

Players like peter wright and andy hamilton,average pdc players will never win the lakeside.

Players like peter wright and andy hamilton,average pdc players will never win the lakeside.

Eh....Wright isn't even a top 32 PDC player and Hamilton, well, hes been a consistent top 16 player for donkeys and could easily mix it with the top end players in the BDO. Hes consistently been a 90+ average man in tv tournaments down the years, even breaking 100 on occasion.

Eh....Wright isn't even a top 32 PDC player and Hamilton, well, hes been a consistent top 16 player for donkeys and could easily mix it with the top end players in the BDO. Hes consistently been a 90+ average man in tv tournaments down the years, even breaking 100 on occasion.

It works both ways.There is pdc players who would struggle in the bdo,and bdo who would struggle in the pdc.Look at hendo,didnt set the bdo alight and is into the matchplay already.Waites,Hankey,adams,oshea would all cut it in the pdc top 32.Calling the bdo a challenge tour is a tad disrespectful.

It works both ways.There is pdc players who would struggle in the bdo,and bdo who would struggle in the pdc.Look at hendo,didnt set the bdo alight and is into the matchplay already.Waites,Hankey,adams,oshea would all cut it in the pdc top 32.Calling the bdo a challenge tour is a tad disrespectful.

Hendo was a good floor player in the BDO in the same way Peter Wright is in the PDC. I seem to remember him winning one of those BDO tournaments on Setanta beating Anderson in the final. The fact you only come up with four names out of how many hundred players play in the system just shows how poor the strength in depth it is, and exactly why I refer to it as a a challenge tour. Top average at Lakeside this year, 94, three averages below 90 in the semi finals, two 85 averages, which wouldn't get you out of the first round of a televised PDC tournament 9/10 times.

Well, it seems that this 'huge, mammoth' announcement from the PDC was just to let us know that the European Championships will be shown on ITV4 next month.

Given that ITV4 have had PDC tournaments on a semi-regular basis it's a bit bizarre that they gave it the big hype before giving details of the announcement.

Hendo was a good floor player in the BDO in the same way Peter Wright is in the PDC. I seem to remember him winning one of those BDO tournaments on Setanta beating Anderson in the final. The fact you only come up with four names out of how many hundred players play in the system just shows how poor the strength in depth it is, and exactly why I refer to it as a a challenge tour. Top average at Lakeside this year, 94, three averages below 90 in the semi finals, two 85 averages, which wouldn't get you out of the first round of a televised PDC tournament 9/10 times.

Fair point.Im sure everyone on here would like to see darts under one banner.Thats why the grandslam is my favourite event (behind the worlds).

More darts on tv is always a good thing.

Hendo was a good floor player in the BDO in the same way Peter Wright is in the PDC. I seem to remember him winning one of those BDO tournaments on Setanta beating Anderson in the final. The fact you only come up with four names out of how many hundred players play in the system just shows how poor the strength in depth it is, and exactly why I refer to it as a a challenge tour.

Didn't Henderson win one of his very first tournaments on the floor in the PDC? Chisnall has already shown he can mix it up with the best of them. Mark Webster has shown himself to be a terrific talent when he wants to be. Scott Waites WON the Grand Slam and how many major BDO tournaments has he won? He basically won a PDC tournament before he won a BDO one.

That doesn't mean to say that PDC isn't better than the BDO. It is. By a considerable margin as well. The players in the BDO can't be compared untill they are on the PDC circuit though. Only when they are playing that caliber of opponent constantly and having the chance to get themselves to that level can they be compared.

Scott Waites has told players on the BDO circuit that the trebles are bigger on the PDC board. Take from that what you want.

Can remember seeing an article a couple of years ago from ted Hankey saying the same thing when he was questioned about the averages differential between the two organisations!

Can remember seeing an article a couple of years ago from ted Hankey saying the same thing when he was questioned about the averages differential between the two organisations!

If Waites/Hankey/whoeverelse is serious with these allegations, then the PDC should definately be challenged IMO...

I think the confusion with the doubles and trebles is that the BDO use Winmau boards that use rounded, quite thick wire to separate their numbers. Whereas the PDC use Unicorn who use very very thin peices of sheet metal to seperate their numbers.

The trebles do look bigger on the PDC boards, but lets say that they are. How can you know that the PDC players wouldn't then adapt to the smaller treble beds and then get the same averages as they do already? It's all whataboutery. The PDC averages are good because the players are top class.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN have confirmed that they are going to be showing the Winmau Masters in September. Not bad. Hopefully that leads to some decent production.

It's a good deal for all concerned looking at the details. The tournament will be over four days with ESPN covering three days' worth, which is much better than the deal they had with the BBC which only really had coverage of the quarters onwards.

Not sure ESPN will invest as much time into the BDO as Setanta did a few years back but, as you say, it'll hopefully lead to some decent production. Ray Stubbs will be involved, though...

Edited by The Naitch