Darts...

Sideshow

I don't have too much of a problem with Dave Clark infact. I completely forgot about him. I suppose he's surrounded by such a high volume of fuds that he's easily forgotten for being a sensible chap.

Ray Stubbs isn't too bad if you ask me. Not quite as good as Colin Murray, but much better than the absolute cunts over at Sky. Have they said who else they're gonna be using?

Nothing confirmed as yet, but I'd imagine that they'll have Crofty (cracking commentator) and Tony Green (if he's well again) on commentary as they done the Setanta stuff too. Wouldn't surprise me if they ask Bobby George to do punditry as he'll be there anyway.

Aye, big fan of Croft.

I actually don't mind Wayne Mardle. I hope he winds up doing more as his enthusiasm can be contagious. The only Sky commentator I can stand.

Stuart Pyke and, before he left, Dave Lanning are fantastic too on Sky .. Slavering Sid does have his odd moment, but they're far and few between these days.

Dave Lanning is just as prone to talk utter shit than the rest of them.

Scott Waites by the way also lost to Matt Padgett in a UK Open preliminary round match a couple of years ago, horses for courses really.

Aye, I'd say BDO players are much more prone to that than the PDC lot, which is why I said the only time you could really judge them is if or when they go on the proper PDC tour.

just heading along to the Portland open in Inverness.

Quite a strong turnout with the likes of Colin Lloyd Mark Webster Simon Whitlock (the holder) Ted Hankey , etc

I dont hold out many hopes at getting very far, if i get past the first round i will be delighted!

just heading along to the Portland open in Inverness.

Quite a strong turnout with the likes of Colin Lloyd Mark Webster Simon Whitlock (the holder) Ted Hankey , etc

I dont hold out many hopes at getting very far, if i get past the first round i will be delighted!

I thought that would be a great event to go to, a good chance to meet some top players. How did it go? I'm sure you enjoyed it whatever happened :P

semi finals just decided....

paul nicholson

john henderson

robert thornton

mark webster

3rd round exit for me, happy with that!!

Edited; Final Mark Webster 5 Robert Thornton 3

The final / presentation did'nt finish until nearly 1.00 in the morning!

Very sore head today.dry.gif

Edited by northernscum

Webster seems to be back on his game after the PL humiliation. Good run in the UK open and the Portland Open was a hard field to come through as well.

Justin Pipe won some Open down in England at the weekend as well beating Jamie Caven in the final and beating Hylton in the quarters. Supposedly 6-3 against Hylton sharing 11 180's and not a leg over 15 darts, these two are playing awesome darts at the minute. Pipe and Hylton are going to cause big problems for King and Taylor at the Matchplay I reckon.

Colin Osborne won the Midlands Open as well. Important to be going into the big events with a bit of confidence eh.

Seems there's a small handful of folk going Blackpool next Friday - if anyone fancies a quick pint when its not your turn to hold your spot in the queue give us a shout on here and I can meet my first Pie and Bovril member!

I don't see why the PDC don't run a tournament around this time. This always happens with players constantly going to other places to keep themselves going for the Matchplay. Happened last year too.

I don't see why the PDC don't run a tournament around this time. This always happens with players constantly going to other places to keep themselves going for the Matchplay. Happened last year too.

Nah, don't agree with that.

The guys who work hard getting sponsorship to help with the huge cost of staging these opens deserve the chance to attract the top players to make the competition more attractive to the average punter.

Take the Portland open for instance, Gordy (the owner) spends shedfuls of cash attracting so many of these top players so far north, he is for ever organising events and exhibitions to co-incide with the main event to make it worth their while coming up for a few days, and with the result the place was rammed on Saturday and he had a great success with the £20.00 a head entrance fee and the bar takings.

If these guys were playing yet another PDC run event there would be no-where near as much interest in the local open.

Seems there's a small handful of folk going Blackpool next Friday - if anyone fancies a quick pint when its not your turn to hold your spot in the queue give us a shout on here and I can meet my first Pie and Bovril member!

Where are you staying about neebur?

Has anyone on here been to the Matchplay before? Is there usually a decent Scottish turn out?

Has anyone on here been to the Matchplay before? Is there usually a decent Scottish turn out?

There's always a strong Scottish presence in the crowd at the Winter Gardens... not had the pleasure of going there yet, but I'm working on making a week of it next year.

If these guys were playing yet another PDC run event there would be no-where near as much interest in the local open.

I'm not really contesting any of the points you're making. It's just something I've wondered. I can't see PDC caring about what these people pay for these names, so I'm just wondering why they have never thought of doing their own tournaments around this time.

I could even see the PDC doing it to spite these people, such is the mindset.

I'm not really contesting any of the points you're making. It's just something I've wondered. I can't see PDC caring about what these people pay for these names, so I'm just wondering why they have never thought of doing their own tournaments around this time.

I could even see the PDC doing it to spite these people, such is the mindset.

If that was the case then the PDC would have sorted out a tournament during this time years ago. I think they're happy enough for there to be a short break before the Matchplay (there's also a sizeable break after it too).

Staying in a cheap b&b on the front there about 5 minutes walk from Winter Gardens. There's a pub called The Castle we always go for a drink in after the afternoon session and we watch the evening games on a big screen. Usually that pissed I have to check the result of the last game in the morning though even though I have watched it.

There's usually a few lads down from Scotland yeah, they seem to do the same thing we do and go in The Castle after the afternoon session is over. You might want to check that out if you've nothing else planned.